• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Rep. Jason Louis (R-MN):

“Well the thing is, can we call anybody a slut? This is what begs the question… Does a woman now have the right to behave – and I know there’s a double standard between the way men chase women and, you know, running around, you know – I’m not going to get there but you know what I’m talking about. But it used to be that women were held to a little bit of a higher standard. We required modesty from women. Now, are we beyond those days where a woman can behave as a slut but we can’t call her a slut?”

wherein the respected, sober, conservative stalwart publication The National Review calls on Sasha Baron Cohen to apologize for sexually harassing Ron Paul while filming Bruno:

Die3Y4DU8AA3PMX.jpg:large

CNBC Now @CNBCnow
BREAKING: President Trump lays into the Fed, says he's 'not thrilled' about interest rate hikes cnbc.com/id/105340800

for the record, he's laying into them because they have the temerity to raise rates as trump's debt-funded taxcutsANDspendatonANDprotectionism platform has (shockingly) led to inflation.

CNBC Now @CNBCnow
BREAKING: President Trump lays into the Fed, says he's 'not thrilled' about interest rate hikes cnbc.com/id/105340800

Somebody must have told him that the Trump Economy was, much like his career, a fraud built on cheap credit.

Rep. Jason Louis (R-MN):

“Well the thing is, can we call anybody a slut? This is what begs the question… Does a woman now have the right to behave – and I know there’s a double standard between the way men chase women and, you know, running around, you know – I’m not going to get there but you know what I’m talking about. But it used to be that women were held to a little bit of a higher standard. We required modesty from women. Now, are we beyond those days where a woman can behave as a slut but we can’t call her a slut?”
There's so much wrong here that it's hard to say where you even begin unpacking it.

"Does a woman have the right to behave the same way men do?"

All but saying that he believes that woman who behave as men do sexually are sluts, while simultaneously acknowledging and dismissing the double-standard there.

Wondering if the fact that a woman IS in his opinion, a slut, makes it OK to call her one.

"We required modesty from women."

Christ.

of course, we have to consider the fact that he said this way back in older times, when this was more acceptable.

(2012)

CNBC Now @CNBCnow

Kilgore Trout @KT_So_It_Goes
1h
Donny from Ardmore, you’re live on the air talkin’ midday sports with Anthony and Glen here on 610 WIP, whattaya think of missing out on Machado and the Fed rate hike, go

Chuck Aoki
@Aoki5Chuck
Replying to @KT_So_It_Goes
“Long time listener, first time caller. I just think the Fed just needs to get back to basics, bunting, hustling, doing the little things right. I hate all these made up stats like WAR and exchange rates. I’ll hang up and listen”

so the white house finally rejects the insane proposal from Putin for russia to interrogate american ambassadors.

but they do it very politely, and respectfully, of course:

@PressSec RE: Putin's proposal: "It is a proposal that was made in sincerity by President Putin, but President Trump disagrees with it. Hopefully President Putin will have the 12 identified Russians come to the United States to prove their innocence or guilt.”

You’ll drive yourself mad with this zeke. The Trumpster is obviously flying by the seat of his pants on just about everything. Remember, he knows more than the generals.

You’ll drive yourself mad with this zeke. The Trumpster is obviously flying by the seat of his pants on just about everything. Remember, he knows more than the generals.

He knows more about everything than every expert by his own admittance, despite clearly knowing very little about anything. The kindest words I've ever come across that were being said about his intellect are that he's "incurious". He's what an idiot thinks a smart person sounds like, what a poor person thinks a rich person should act like. A complete ****ing fraud.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/19/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-summit-poll/index.html

Amajority of Americans disapprove of the way President Donald Trump handled the summit in Helsinki with Russian President Vladimir Putin, a new CBS News poll finds.

Fifty-five percent of respondents said they disapproved of Trump's handling of the summit, including 83% of Democrats and 53% of independents.
Just 21% of Republicans disapprove -- with 68% of Republicans saying the approve of how Trump dealt with the meeting.

Overall, 32% approve of the President's handling of the summit -- with 8% of Democrats and 29% of independents saying so.

Seven in 10 Americans believe findings by US intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 election, though a larger share of Democrats do (89%) than independents (67%) or Republicans (51%). More than four-in-10 Republicans (42%) say they do not believe the intelligence assessments.

Forty-six percent of Americans say the President's approach to Russia is too friendly, up from 35% in April 2017.

Looking ahead to 2018, 61% of Americans say they are very or somewhat concerned about Russian interference in the midterm elections, including 87% of Democrats, but just 38% of Republicans.

More than six-in-10 Republicans (61%) say they are not very or not at all concerned about possible interference.

Looking beyond the polarization of the US electorate, most people do not approve of how that summit went down.

And looking beyond that, I think a very important point has yet to be made. If the general public saw the US president as weak compared to the Russian president, what do people around the world think? This is the 3rd US President in a row Putin has outmaneuvered and outsmarted. For countries stuck in the middle between these two "powers" one has to start to think that siding with Russia and Putin is a safer bet in the long run

Sarah Churchwell @sarahchurchwell
21h
Umberto Eco wrote a 1995 @nybooks essay called “Ur-Fascism” in which he named 14 features of fascism. He said only one need be present for fascism to coagulate around it.

DielaAvWAAA0iyl.jpg:large

DielbgqW0AE4nit.jpg:large

DielcxXWsAElLK7.jpg:large

IMO courts consistently misinterpret the second amendment. It says "well regulated militia" not "unregulated".

It’s not unregulated.

Furthermore the courts finding that “military style” actually connects to “militia” is interesting. Especially coming from the most left leaning appellate court in the land. If they found it that way, no way in hell SCOTUS overturns.

CNBC @CNBC
Trump says stock market gains since election give him opportunity to wage a trade war: 'We’re playing with the bank's money' cnb.cx/2uCSocX

Back