• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

True.

Would still put a twenty on it.

On Bernier pulling more votes than the NDP?

****, I'll take that bet. It's really easy to say that you'd drop a vote on a party that doesn't exist, hasn't had to campaign in a federal election, etc, etc. There's all sorts of crazy dream land shit that most of us would say we'd do right up until it was time to actually do.

On Bernier pulling more votes than the NDP?

****, I'll take that bet. It's really easy to say that you'd drop a vote on a party that doesn't exist, hasn't had to campaign in a federal election, etc, etc. There's all sorts of crazy dream land shit that most of us would say we'd do right up until it was time to actually do.
I for some reason see bernier doinf better than may.

Not so fast now.

Ahhh, beating the Greenies. No bet. That's actually doable. As much as I want the Greens to become a big boy party to inject new ideas that don't have to be run by a public services union board first, I want no part of more May in Canadian politics.

Ahhh, beating the Greenies. No bet. That's actually doable. As much as I want the Greens to become a big boy party to inject new ideas that don't have to be run by a public services union board first, I want no part of more May in Canadian politics.

No sense of adventure.

I agree may is a loony toon though.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ald-statue-debate-but-not-conservative-voters

Seventy per cent of Canadians believe that a statue of Sir John A. Macdonald that stood outside Victoria’s city hall should not be removed permanently from public view, a new poll has found — but on the question of exactly what to do with the monument to the country’s first prime minister, Canadians are struggling to find common ground.

Eighty-one per cent of those who voted for the Conservatives in 2015 oppose the statue’s removal in the first place — and, in fact, some 47 per cent of those who voted Liberal in 2015 agree with them, compared to 33 per cent who supported the statue’s removal.

70 percent of canadians don't want statues of MacDonald taken down. Seems like a lot of racists in canada, eh?

http://nationalpost.com/news/politi...ald-statue-debate-but-not-conservative-voters

70 percent of canadians don't want statues of MacDonald taken down. Seems like a lot of racists in canada, eh?

Not wanting the statue(s) taken down does not necessarily equate to being a racist. It is possible to commerate his role and accomplishments as the first PM of Canada without approving of his policies on the indigenous people.

The residential schools didn't close until the 1990's. Are all PM's up until then who did little to close them racist or just a product of their times and all the best and worse that go with it?

History is filled with men and women who made tremendous contributions to society but were not without flaws. There is nothing wrong with celebrating the good they did as long as we recognize and acknowledge their flaws.

Not wanting the statue(s) taken down does not necessarily equate to being a racist. It is possible to commerate his role and accomplishments as the first PM of Canada without approving of his policies on the indigenous people.

The residential schools didn't close until the 1990's. Are all PM's up until then who did little to close them racist or just a product of their times and all the best and worse that go with it?

History is filled with men and women who made tremendous contributions to society but were not without flaws. There is nothing wrong with celebrating the good they did as long as we recognize and acknowledge their flaws.

I'm a firm believer in keeping the statues up. I was being sarcastic about the racism angle.

Exactly

This

Looks like Doug Ford's attempt to slash the size of Toronto city council in half in the middle of an election campaign has been struck down by the courts.

In an unprecedented and scathing decision, an Ontario judge has blocked Premier Doug Ford's plan to slash the size of Toronto city council nearly in half.

Justice Edward Belobaba says Ford's Progressive Conservative government "clearly crossed the line" with its Better Local Government Act, which aligns municipal ward boundaries with provincial ridings, cutting the potential number of councillors from 47 to 25 after the Oct. 22 election.

In his highly anticipated ruling, Belobaba calls the act "unconstitutional."

"Passing a law that changes the city's electoral districts in the middle of its election and undermines the overall fairness of the election is antithetical to the core principles of our democracy," Belobaba says in his written decision.

Belobaba says the act has two major problems:

Because it was passed in the middle of an election campaign, it breached the freedom of expression of municipal candidates.
For some councillors it nearly doubled the size of the population they represent — from an average of 61,000 people per ward to almost 111,000. That, Belobaba says, "breached the municipal voter's right to cast a vote that can result in effective representation.

The election, barring any more bills from the Province between now and the election, will go ahead with the original 47-seat council up for election.

I'm guessing some ranting and raving from Doug Ford against "un-elected judges infringing on the democratic government of Ontario" is incoming.

Looks like Doug Ford's attempt to slash the size of Toronto city council in half in the middle of an election campaign has been struck down by the courts.

The election, barring any more bills from the Province between now and the election, will go ahead with the original 47-seat council up for election.

I'm guessing some ranting and raving from Doug Ford against "un-elected judges infringing on the democratic government of Ontario" is incoming.

eh I expect the province to appeal. election may have to be postponed.

just a totally unnecessary cluster**** created by Ford being a vindictive asshat. but love how they got shot down in the judgment.

eh I expect the province to appeal. election may have to be postponed.

just a totally unnecessary cluster**** created by Ford being a vindictive asshat. but love how they got shot down in the judgment.

They could also use the notwithstanding clause on this.

But yeah, glorious to see them shoot him down. Looks like the judge had some fun writing it up too:
[76]Dealing with the second objective, voter parity, and giving the Minister the benefit of the doubt that he understood that the primary concern is not voter parity but effective representation, there is no evidence of minimal impairment. The Province’s rationale for moving to a 25-ward structure had been carefully considered and rejected by the TWBR and by City Council just over a year ago. If there was a concern about the large size of some of the City’s wards (by my count, six wards had populations ranging from 70,000 to 97,000) why not deal with these six wards specifically? Why impose a solution (increasing all ward sizes to 111,000) that is far worse, in terms of achieving effective representation, than the original problem? And, again, why do so in the middle of the City’s election?
[77]Crickets.

They could also use the notwithstanding clause on this.

But yeah, glorious to see them shoot him down. Looks like the judge had some fun writing it up too:

Yep, so they're going to use the notwithstanding clause on this. Your Premier of Toronto, people.

I'm disappointed that Ontario voters let him get away with not even releasing a platform. That he did a 180 on most of what thin promises he made in the run up was almost expected, but at least make the ****ing guy do his homework to win the election.

Back