• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

I mean, if someone's not above scamming seniors out of their retirement funds to keep their operation going, I can't see them balking at taking Russian money.

And a reminder: the guy Andrew Scheer tapped to be the Conservative Party's campaign chair for the next federal election is the former director of Rebel Media, and a long-time business partner of Ezra Levant's. Scheer has also granted in-studio interviews with The Rebel, and has pointedly refused to criticize them.

I mean, if someone's not above scamming seniors out of their retirement funds to keep their operation going, I can't see them balking at taking Russian money.

And a reminder: the guy Andrew Scheer tapped to be the Conservative Party's campaign chair for the next federal election is the former director of Rebel Media, and a long-time business partner of Ezra Levant's. Scheer has also granted in-studio interviews with The Rebel, and has pointedly refused to criticize them.

It's tough to be a right wing politician in western canada and shun the rebel, sadly. It's too popular out here, and it's supporters are involved on the party level.

It's one thing to grant interviews with The Rebel.

But putting a Rebel bigwig in charge of your party's entire campaign is something altogether different.

I have mentioned that my father was a militant christian soldier/conspiracy nut...so I remember vividly, as a child, listening to his heroes talk about the Great Enemy Russia, how we as warriors for Jesus had to be alert at all times for the Red Menace.

Funny how times have changed.

Good piece by Andrew Coyne.

How did supply management, of all things, come to be at the centre of everything?
It affects fewer than 15,000 farmers nationwide, who between them account for less than one per cent of Canada’s GDP.

Yet it has somehow become the central issue not only of our domestic politics, but of international trade talks. It was the pretext for Donald Trump’s decision to impose tariffs on imports of aluminum and steel, and is his most-cited grievance with Canadian trade policy. As such, it has become the rallying cry of preening political patriots, each of the parties seeking to outdo the others in defence of a policy whose avowed purpose, let us remember, is to make basic food items more expensive for Canadians.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-we-all-pay-for-supply-management-but-bernier-pays-the-political-price

Good piece by Andrew Coyne.

How did supply management, of all things, come to be at the centre of everything?
It affects fewer than 15,000 farmers nationwide, who between them account for less than one per cent of Canada’s GDP.

Yet it has somehow become the central issue not only of our domestic politics, but of international trade talks. It was the pretext for Donald Trump’s decision to impose tariffs on imports of aluminum and steel, and is his most-cited grievance with Canadian trade policy. As such, it has become the rallying cry of preening political patriots, each of the parties seeking to outdo the others in defence of a policy whose avowed purpose, let us remember, is to make basic food items more expensive for Canadians.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew-coyne-we-all-pay-for-supply-management-but-bernier-pays-the-political-price

America has the NRA, Canada has the dairy lobby.

At the heart of it though, however small the sector, it would be demolished if flooded with american dairy, because american dairy is so heavily subsidized.

Only way to level the playing field would be to heavily subsidize canadian dairy, which would cost a pretty penny.

if american dairy was up to regulations (steroids, hormone etc), I'd have no problem if it flooded our market. If the US taxpayer wants to subsidize my cheese habit, I'm cool with that.

TPP is already promising me tons of tariff free cheese from Europe in the near future.

Canadian farmers will have to compete. And they probably will do ok, if they have the right incentives.

if american dairy was up to regulations (steroids, hormone etc), I'd have no problem if it flooded our market. If the US taxpayer wants to subsidize my cheese habit, I'm cool with that.

TPP is already promising me tons of tariff free cheese from Europe in the near future.

Canadian farmers will have to compete. And they probably will do ok, if they have the right incentives.

CETA

America has the NRA, Canada has the dairy lobby.

At the heart of it though, however small the sector, it would be demolished if flooded with american dairy, because american dairy is so heavily subsidized.

Only way to level the playing field would be to heavily subsidize canadian dairy, which would cost a pretty penny.

Ah yes, guns and butter.

I’ll take butter every time.

People love the status quo. There was a big fuss when Harper ended the Canadian Wheat Board. But he could afford to lose a few votes out west. Quebec is an electoral jump ball so the dairy lobby has more strategic power.

Looks like the Trudeau government has really decided to take the gloves off where the Trump administration is concerned.

The rough outlines of a speech by foreign affairs minister Chrystia Freeland in Washington tonight:

Freeland more sharply expressed — and on American soil — what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said in a press conference after the Group of Seven summit on Saturday — that Canada won’t be “pushed around” by its neighbour. Trump had connected those comments to a decision to pull his support for a joint statement by the G7 countries, shortly after it was published, and to consider new automobile tariffs on imports to the U.S..

The text began with something of a history lesson about how the “international system of rules” in place today came to be, and a warning that its architects were wrong that the system would cause authoritarian countries to adopt Western political freedoms as they joined it. The idea that democracy could fail may seem “outlandish,” Freeland said. “But other great civilizations have risen — and then fallen. It is hubris to think we will inevitably be different.”

When the economic future of people living inside liberal democracies is threatened, Freeland said, “that’s when people are vulnerable to the demagogue who scapegoats the outsider, the other — whether it’s immigrants at home or foreign actors.”

Freeland invoked Abraham Lincoln before launching into what seemed to be a direct message to Trump: “Facts matter. Truth matters. Competence and honesty, among elected leaders and in our public service, matter.”

In a part of the speech that focused on the Canada-U.S. relationship, Freeland acknowledged, “we also understand that many Americans today are no longer certain that the rules-based international order — of which you were the principal architect and for which you wrote the biggest cheques — still benefits America.” This is seen “most plainly,” Freeland said, in the steel and aluminum tariffs that the U.S. has imposed on Canada on a “national security” basis.

After repeating that the tariffs are “illegal,” “absurd” and “hurtful,” the prepared text broached new territory. “They are protectionism, pure and simple. They are not a response to unfair actions by other countries that put American industry at a disadvantage. They are a naked example of the United States putting its thumb on the scale, in violation of the very rules it helped to write.” The European Union and Mexico, which are also facing tariffs, “share our astonishment and our resolve,” Freeland continued.

“No one will benefit from this beggar thy neighbour dispute. The price will be paid, in part, by American consumers and by American businesses,” it read. “The price will also be paid by those who believe that a rules based system is something worth preserving.”

Freeland ended with a plea to Western nations to make the right choice out of two divergent paths open to them “in a world we no longer dominate.”

One path is to give up on the rules-based order and look for survival in a “ruthless struggle between great powers, governed solely by the narrow, short-term, and mercantilist pursuit of self-interest.” Though Canada would not survive, Freeland’s text reads, the U.S., still the world’s largest economy, “may be tempted.”

“You may feel today that your size allows you to go mano-a-mano with your traditional adversaries and be guaranteed to win. But if history tells us one thing, it is that no one nation’s pre-eminence is eternal,” Freeland said.

The other path is to strengthen the existing alliance of liberal democracies in the world, and to reform and renew the rules-based order “that we have built together,” it continues. Freeland then quoted Ronald Reagan, before concluding by saying that the values of liberal democracy are under attack from outside and from inside, and that Canada knows where it stands no matter which direction the U.S. decides to pursue.

“Our friends among the world’s democracies — in Europe, in Asia, in Africa, and here in the Americas — are shoulder to shoulder with us. We all know we will be strongest with America in our ranks — and indeed in the lead. But whatever this great country’s choice will turn out to be — let me be clear that Canada knows where it stands. And we will rise to this challenge.”

tenor.gif

EFFICIENCIES!!!!!

@spaikin
the order has gone out to all deputy ministers at queen's park: hiring freeze is on, cancel all paper-based newspaper/magazine subscriptions, new restrictions on out-of-province travel, no food at taxpayers' expense approved for in-house meetings.

EFFICIENCIES!!!!!

@spaikin
the order has gone out to all deputy ministers at queen's park: hiring freeze is on, cancel all paper-based newspaper/magazine subscriptions, new restrictions on out-of-province travel, no food at taxpayers' expense approved for in-house meetings.

6 billion saved right there.

Conservatives snatch a Liberal seat in Quebec.

Just a Bi Election, but a few interesting things to take from it.

The Bloc vote is all but dead, and it's Scheer picking it up. The NDP vote is all but dead, it's not the Liberals picking it up.

The Quebec nationalists are angry and motivated regarding the border crossings, and if Trudeau starts to sense that he's going to lose ground in Quebec to Andrew Scheer of all people, expect Trudeau to start getting tough on illegal migrants.

The Associated Press @AP
28s
BREAKING: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says marijuana will be legal nationwide on October 17.

Back