Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 520 of 759

Thread: New Canadian Politics Thread

  1. #501
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    69,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Whites were treated really badly by whites too.

    I want reparations.
    im sure they will take down all the trump statues in a few decades as well
    ...

  2. #502
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    65,693
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    he was referring to wars between tribes

    i was not the government or the catholics so i feel no guilt over residential schools but it does not mean we should not understand it
    that I agree with but it does not mean that because at the time they were introduced, there was support for same, that those people were bad.

    I know if I were a Huron, I would suing the 5 Nations Confederacy for reparations.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  3. #503
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    148,329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    im sure they will take down all the trump statues in a few decades as well
    Uh, they wont be putting any up.

    I mean except for a new Mount Trashmore with only Trump on it. Paid for by Mexico.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  4. #504
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...atue-1.4783329

    Annnnnnnd...**** it, I'm warming to ford.

    On Monday, Sylvia Jones, the Dufferin-Caledon MPP named to Premier Doug Ford's first cabinet this summer, said the government has written to Victoria's mayor about acquiring the statue.

    "History matters," she said during question period.

    Jones said she realizes Macdonald's legacy has been a "cause for much discussion," and said he was a "flawed" individual, but that "people are complicated" and the statue should be a place for people to learn.
    If the conservatives simply continue to exercise common sense I may just need to vote for them.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  5. #505
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    69,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    lol

    THIS is what matters to you ?
    ...

  6. #506
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    lol

    THIS is what matters to you ?
    History always matters to me.

    One of the reasons I love the assassins creed series and choose the name Altair.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  7. #507
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    69,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    History always matters to me.

    One of the reasons I love the assassins creed series and choose the name Altair.
    sure i find history interesting as well
    but it does not really impact my life

    seems a weird hill to die on to me
    ...

  8. #508
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    sure i find history interesting as well
    but it does not really impact my life

    seems a weird hill to die on to me
    Who is dying?

    I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

    Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  9. #509
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    69,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Who is dying?

    I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

    Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.

    well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically) but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...
    ...

  10. #510
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically)
    That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.
    but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...
    John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

    And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  11. #511
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    69,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.

    John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

    And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.
    i thought you cared about history?

    as for the statue
    i find it more art than history
    but sure
    ...

  12. #512
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.

  13. #513
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    12,876
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.
    I would be surprised if he didn't just join the libertarian party.

    Tim Moen has said he would hand over the leadership of that party to Bernier if he ever left the CPC.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  14. #514
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.
    That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

    It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  15. #515
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

    It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.
    Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.

  16. #516
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.
    Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

    As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

    I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  17. #517
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

    As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

    I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.
    Paul Wells

    There is nothing in Bernier's prepared remarks about forming a new party nor any indication anyone is leaving the Conservative Party with him.
    Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.

  18. #518
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.
    He didn't stick to the prepared speech.

    Bernier has announced that he'll be forming his own political party in time for the next Federal election, and hopes to have candidates in all 338 Federal ridings.

    Here's his statement.

    My summary of his statement:

    • I'm a real Conservative, Andrew Scheer is not

    • Supply management is bad, and any free market party is hypocritical/corrupt for supporting it

    • Canada should meekly agree to let Trump ram cock in ass in NAFTA negotiations (give up supply management, no retaliation to any of Trump's tarrifs, agree to Trump's definition of "dismantling all trade barriers")

    • Multiculturalism is bad, mmm'kay?

    • No more corporate bailouts (lists Ford & Bombardier as examples)

    • Andrew Scheer = "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau"

    • I didn't leave the Conservative party, the Conservative party left me



    Funny enough, if Bernier could actually convince the public that Scheer is "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau", that would actually be tremendously helpful to Scheer.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

  19. #519
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    78,358
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    ****ing frenchies criticizing multi culturalism is always a classic.
    #FreeVladdy

  20. #520
    Legend LeafGm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    ****ing frenchies criticizing multi culturalism is always a classic.
    Yeah, the irony is pretty amazing.

    Arguing against multiculturalism is arguing that Quebec/French Canada should have basically ceased to exist as a society following their defeat at the hands of the British.

    And generally, it's funny how often these ethnic nationalist bigots try to clothe their close-minded racism in flowery language about "shared values" and "national unity".
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •