Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: New Canadian Politics Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Whites were treated really badly by whites too.

I want reparations.
    im sure they will take down all the trump statues in a few decades as well

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    he was referring to wars between tribes

i was not the government or the catholics so i feel no guilt over residential schools but it does not mean we should not understand it
    that I agree with but it does not mean that because at the time they were introduced, there was support for same, that those people were bad.

I know if I were a Huron, I would suing the 5 Nations Confederacy for reparations.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure they will take down all the trump statues in a few decades as well
    Uh, they wont be putting any up.

I mean except for a new Mount Trashmore with only Trump on it. Paid for by Mexico.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...atue-1.4783329

Annnnnnnd...**** it, I'm warming to ford.

On Monday, Sylvia Jones, the Dufferin-Caledon MPP named to Premier Doug Ford's first cabinet this summer, said the government has written to Victoria's mayor about acquiring the statue.

"History matters," she said during question period.

Jones said she realizes Macdonald's legacy has been a "cause for much discussion," and said he was a "flawed" individual, but that "people are complicated" and the statue should be a place for people to learn.
    If the conservatives simply continue to exercise common sense I may just need to vote for them.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Post Thanks / Like

lol

THIS is what matters to you ?

Post Thanks / Like

lol

THIS is what matters to you ?
    History always matters to me.

One of the reasons I love the assassins creed series and choose the name Altair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    History always matters to me.

One of the reasons I love the assassins creed series and choose the name Altair.
    sure i find history interesting as well
    but it does not really impact my life

seems a weird hill to die on to me

Post Thanks / Like

sure i find history interesting as well
    but it does not really impact my life

seems a weird hill to die on to me
    Who is dying?

I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Who is dying?

I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.

well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically) but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...

Post Thanks / Like

well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically)
    That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.
    but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...
    John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.

Post Thanks / Like

That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.

John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.
    i thought you cared about history?

as for the statue
    i find it more art than history
    but sure

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.
    I would be surprised if he didn't just join the libertarian party.

Tim Moen has said he would hand over the leadership of that party to Bernier if he ever left the CPC.

Post Thanks / Like

That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.
    Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.

Post Thanks / Like

Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.
    Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.
    Paul Wells

There is nothing in Bernier's prepared remarks about forming a new party nor any indication anyone is leaving the Conservative Party with him.
    Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.
    He didn't stick to the prepared speech.

Bernier has announced that he'll be forming his own political party in time for the next Federal election, and hopes to have candidates in all 338 Federal ridings.

Here's his statement.

My summary of his statement:

• I'm a real Conservative, Andrew Scheer is not

• Supply management is bad, and any free market party is hypocritical/corrupt for supporting it

• Canada should meekly agree to let Trump ram cock in ass in NAFTA negotiations (give up supply management, no retaliation to any of Trump's tarrifs, agree to Trump's definition of "dismantling all trade barriers")

• Multiculturalism is bad, mmm'kay?

• No more corporate bailouts (lists Ford & Bombardier as examples)

• Andrew Scheer = "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau"

• I didn't leave the Conservative party, the Conservative party left me

Funny enough, if Bernier could actually convince the public that Scheer is "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau", that would actually be tremendously helpful to Scheer.

Post Thanks / Like

****ing frenchies criticizing multi culturalism is always a classic.
    #FreeVladdy

Post Thanks / Like

****ing frenchies criticizing multi culturalism is always a classic.
    Yeah, the irony is pretty amazing.

Arguing against multiculturalism is arguing that Quebec/French Canada should have basically ceased to exist as a society following their defeat at the hands of the British.

And generally, it's funny how often these ethnic nationalist bigots try to clothe their close-minded racism in flowery language about "shared values" and "national unity".

Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast