Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: New Canadian Politics Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Canadian Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Interesting dynamic there. Ontario gets more open in regards to weed, Quebec may get more restrictive.
    Quebec's always been weird. Aalthough if they move it to 21, going to be great for Ottawa. Go over to Ontario to smoke, and over to Hull to drink.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Quebec's always been weird. Aalthough if they move it to 21, going to be great for Ottawa. Go over to Ontario to smoke, and over to Hull to drink.
    Thanks Quebec.

For the first time in its history, Ottawa is going to be cool at something.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Post Thanks / Like

So 18 to drink and vote in the leader of the country, but 21 to smoke pot? Odd choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
    So 18 to drink and vote in the leader of the country, but 21 to smoke pot? Odd choice.
    To be fair, there is some research that shows that your brain keeps developing until 25, so any heavy smoking before then is more damaging. Although presumably the same rule should apply to alcohol too, I would guess.

If we did it based on science, we would probably allow voting at 16 or so and all drug use (alcohol or otherwise) probably should be illegal until you're 25.

Post Thanks / Like

So sneaky little clause in the USMCA/NAFTA 2.0

Canada needs to inform the Americans or Mexicans, and vice versa, if Canada signs a trade deal with a non market economy. Mexico/USA will get full text of the trade agreement a month head of time and can withdraw from the free trade agreement if they don't like it.

So I guess Canada has been drafted into the trade war against China. They are the only real non market economy I can think of that Canada would be interested in a trade agreement with.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you also read Andrew Coyne today.

I think that only becomes an issue if we try to start free trade talks with China while Trump is in power. His successors probably don't care as much.

But we definitely ceded some sovereignty in a way that I don't like by inserting that clause.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward DP View Post
    I guess you also read Andrew Coyne today.

I think that only becomes an issue if we try to start free trade talks with China while Trump is in power. His successors probably don't care as much.

But we definitely ceded some sovereignty in a way that I don't like by inserting that clause.
    It's sneaky because Canada, now more than ever, needs to diversify its trade, and the Americans are in a position to not allow that with one the worlds largest economies.

That leaves what, latin America and Africa?

Post Thanks / Like

It's sneaky because Canada, now more than ever, needs to diversify its trade, and the Americans are in a position to not allow that with one the worlds largest economies.

That leaves what, latin America and Africa?
    Well we have recently wrapped up CETA and the TPP.

But yeah, this is obviously aimed at China. I'm guessing that Trudeua didn't make enough progress with China to think that starting in on a FTA any time soon was worthwhile. Or he got bullied into the concession by Trump.

Given my thoughts on China, in effect this doesn't bother me hugely. But I don't like what it amounts to in principle.

It's tough, cause on the one hand I don't really love the new NAFTA, but on the other, it's hard to factor in to what extent the Trump effect forced Trudeua's hand.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So sneaky little clause in the USMCA/NAFTA 2.0

Canada needs to inform the Americans or Mexicans, and vice versa, if Canada signs a trade deal with a non market economy. Mexico/USA will get full text of the trade agreement a month head of time and can withdraw from the free trade agreement if they don't like it.

So I guess Canada has been drafted into the trade war against China. They are the only real non market economy I can think of that Canada would be interested in a trade agreement with.
    yeah that was strange but it also allows Canada to know what US is up to trade wise
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

Liberals just got spanked in QC.

Shades of Ontario.
    been in power for a long time so not a surprise. Federalists did not feel the need to vote Liberal this time as PQ was dead, Solidaire a bunch of weirdos and Legault is against any neverendum while in power. Liberals though are down to what is a basically a Montreal party as 24 of 32 seats are on the island of Montreal or Laval.

Post Thanks / Like

trudeau got skooled
    face the facts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    trudeau got skooled
    face the facts
    Yep, that's what Alberta facebook is saying. Libtards got owned single handedly by Trump, and only due to Trump's genius and Trudeau being a fag.

I ****ing hate these people.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was sad to hear both Singh and Scheer trying to rip the deal apart without actually detailing what they would have done differently. They were not very convincing, just going through the motions in their boilerplate critique.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Yep, that's what Alberta facebook is saying. Libtards got owned single handedly by Trump, and only due to Trump's genius and Trudeau being a fag.

I ****ing hate these people.
    I am also going to work at McDonalds instead of my real job because I can make $15 an hour!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    I am also going to work at McDonalds instead of my real job because I can make $15 an hour!
    Well, don'tcha know that a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage is going to raise the prices on everything we buy from these multi national corporations that source their products from everywhere but here?

Econ should be a ****ing required subject, every year. It is the single most important subject for understanding if your government sucks shit or not.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, don'tcha know that a 15 dollar an hour minimum wage is going to raise the prices on everything we buy from these multi national corporations that source their products from everywhere but here?

Econ should be a ****ing required subject, every year. It is the single most important subject for understanding if your government sucks shit or not.
    I'd settle for people understanding compound interest before they leave high school.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    It was sad to hear both Singh and Scheer trying to rip the deal apart without actually detailing what they would have done differently. They were not very convincing, just going through the motions in their boilerplate critique.
    Scheer's line that all Trudeau got was what he already had, was funny. Not like Donnie was going to rip the deal up and give us anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    I'd settle for people understanding compound interest before they leave high school.
    pathogens theory >>>

Post Thanks / Like

perfect

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738