• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

he was referring to wars between tribes

i was not the government or the catholics so i feel no guilt over residential schools but it does not mean we should not understand it

that I agree with but it does not mean that because at the time they were introduced, there was support for same, that those people were bad.

I know if I were a Huron, I would suing the 5 Nations Confederacy for reparations.

im sure they will take down all the trump statues in a few decades as well

Uh, they won’t be putting any up.

I mean except for a new Mount Trashmore with only Trump on it. Paid for by Mexico.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-wants-john-a-macdonald-statue-1.4783329

Annnnnnnd...**** it, I'm warming to ford.

On Monday, Sylvia Jones, the Dufferin-Caledon MPP named to Premier Doug Ford's first cabinet this summer, said the government has written to Victoria's mayor about acquiring the statue.

"History matters," she said during question period.

Jones said she realizes Macdonald's legacy has been a "cause for much discussion," and said he was a "flawed" individual, but that "people are complicated" and the statue should be a place for people to learn.

If the conservatives simply continue to exercise common sense I may just need to vote for them.

History always matters to me.

One of the reasons I love the assassins creed series and choose the name Altair.

sure i find history interesting as well
but it does not really impact my life

seems a weird hill to die on to me

sure i find history interesting as well
but it does not really impact my life

seems a weird hill to die on to me

Who is dying?

I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.

Who is dying?

I like that they seem to be willing to preserve Canadian history,I like political parties and politicians who are willing to preserve history, and as such, i'm starting to warm to the Doug Ford PCs for trying to preserve history.

Also, asides from the political hit job on Toronto, they have not really done anything worth mentioning good or bad, so this is all I have to go off of as of this moment.

well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically) but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...

well Ford himself has a long history (personally and politically)
That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.
but if a letter about a statue (which somehow = history) is all it takes for you to warm to him ...

John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.

That he does, but I'll judge him on his present actions, of which there have been few.

John A. Macdonald is a historical figure, a statue of John A. Macdonald is a statue based on a historical figure, so a statue of John A. Macdonald=History.

And yes, when political correct nonsense has run amok, I do warm to those who can show just a bit of common sense.

i thought you cared about history?

as for the statue
i find it more art than history
but sure

Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.

Sounds like Bernier is going to make his own party. Will be interesting if he can bring any other MPs on board and create a real rift, or he's going to be alone in it.

I would be surprised if he didn't just join the libertarian party.

Tim Moen has said he would hand over the leadership of that party to Bernier if he ever left the CPC.

That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.

That would actually be kind of great. I haven't ever been really comfortable with the Federal "Conservative" party since the Reform Party ****wads took it over.

It'd be nice if a new far-right splinter party could give a home to the social conservatives, white nationalists & anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim crowd, and leave behind a Conservative party that'd be free to fight with the Liberals for the political center. Though that won't happen as long as the socially conservative, Ezra Levant/Rebel-connected Andrew Scheer is running the party.

Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.

Who, if anyone, he ropes in to follow him will certainly be the real test. I'm guessing that he'll end up just trying to forge a mainstream libertarian party and won't bring any caucus with him, but you never know.
Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.

Yeah, I'll be kind of surprised if he brings any elected Federal MP's with him right away. He doesn't seem like a guy who's built many bridges within the CPC caucus.

As for what kind of party he'll forge---if you'd asked me a year ago what kind of party Maxime Bernier would form if he decided to go it alone, I would've guessed that it'd be a fairly mainstream Libertarian Conservative party. But the anti-immigrant, anti-multiculturalism & anti-"political correctness" stuff he's been spewing out in recent weeks gives me pause.

I'm not sure why he'd do that if he didn't intend to court the racist, hard-right populist & anti-immigrant voters.

Paul Wells

There is nothing in Bernier's prepared remarks about forming a new party nor any indication anyone is leaving the Conservative Party with him.

Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.

Sounds like he's just leaving and going solo for now, if he sticks to the prepared speech.
He didn't stick to the prepared speech.

Bernier has announced that he'll be forming his own political party in time for the next Federal election, and hopes to have candidates in all 338 Federal ridings.

Here's his statement.

My summary of his statement:

• I'm a real Conservative, Andrew Scheer is not

• Supply management is bad, and any free market party is hypocritical/corrupt for supporting it

• Canada should meekly agree to let Trump ram cock in ass in NAFTA negotiations (give up supply management, no retaliation to any of Trump's tarrifs, agree to Trump's definition of "dismantling all trade barriers")

• Multiculturalism is bad, mmm'kay?

• No more corporate bailouts (lists Ford & Bombardier as examples)

• Andrew Scheer = "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau"

• I didn't leave the Conservative party, the Conservative party left me

Funny enough, if Bernier could actually convince the public that Scheer is "a more moderate version of Justin Trudeau", that would actually be tremendously helpful to Scheer.

****ing frenchies criticizing multi culturalism is always a classic.
Yeah, the irony is pretty amazing.

Arguing against multiculturalism is arguing that Quebec/French Canada should have basically ceased to exist as a society following their defeat at the hands of the British.

And generally, it's funny how often these ethnic nationalist bigots try to clothe their close-minded racism in flowery language about "shared values" and "national unity".

Back