• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Like, seriously.

This ****ing brain-dead bag of shit is risking a constitutional crisis just because he wants to **** over the City Council that wouldn't kiss the ring when he and his crackhead brother were trying to run the city as a two-man show, as well as the electorate (particularly in the old city of Toronto itself) that voted overwhelmingly for his opponents in both the mayoral and provincial elections.

Whether or not to use the notwithstanding cause on this bullshit will apparently be a free vote in the commons, so the PC caucus better show some spine here.

Not that I'm expecting they will.

Like, seriously.

This ****ing brain-dead bag of shit is risking a constitutional crisis just because he wants to **** over the City Council that wouldn't kiss the ring when he and his crackhead brother were trying to run the city as a two-man show, as well as the electorate (particularly in the old city of Toronto itself) that voted overwhelmingly for his opponents in both the mayoral and provincial elections.

Whether or not to use the notwithstanding cause on this bullshit will apparently be a free vote in the commons, so the PC caucus better show some spine here.

Not that I'm expecting they will.

Yeah, this is deeply offensive shit on oh so many levels. I don't even live in Ontario anymore and I am outraged. I almost wish I did so I could send angry letters to Tory MPPs (I guess I could still do that, but I'm much easier to ignore now...).

Of all the stupid, pedantic, childish, petty legislation that you could possibly use the notwithstanding clause on, this one has to take the cake. I am truly embarrassed that this will be what Ontario decides is important enough to override the constitution.

Ford is showing everyone, quite clearly, what he thinks of our constitution. And the courts. And rule of law. It wouldn't surprise me if he released a video of him taking a dump on the Charter.

New Nanos:

LPC: 41.1
CPC: 31.4
NDP: 14.95
Green: 6.7
Bloq: 2.9

Ganj is about to go legal, the Democrats are going to kneecap Trump's trade wars in a few months and Bernier's new party is likely to bleed rural support from the Conservaties.

Last edited:
Floor crosser is no good for Trudeau, but unsure if it will have a serious impact.

Jagmeet really has a ton of work to do if he has any hope of avoiding an obliteration. I'm not so sure he'll be able to pull it off though.

The really interesting thing will be how much support peepee Bernier bleeds from the Cons

I think the floor-crossing would have more impact if anybody outside of her own riding had ever heard of this MP before.

It also seems to me that this is a calculated move on her part that's more about her own personal electoral and financial prospects than the party's. The area that she represents typically elects Conservative MP's by pretty wide margins, but the anti-Harper "Red Wave"/NDP vote collapse that swept the Liberals into power also swept her into office for the first time over the incumbent Conservative MP.

So, I'd guess that she's made the calculation that, while the Liberals may get re-elected as the incumbent government, her own electoral prospects as a Liberal candidate in her riding were dimmer. And she's probably not too eager to give up the $170K annual salary she makes as an MP, plus the gold-plated MP pension she'd lose out on if she doesn't win her seat in the next election (you have to serve as an MP for six years to be eligible for the full pension).

I think the floor-crossing would have more impact if anybody outside of her own riding had ever heard of this MP before.

It also seems to me that this is a calculated move on her part that's more about her own personal electoral and financial prospects than the party's. The area that she represents typically elects Conservative MP's by pretty wide margins, but the anti-Harper "Red Wave"/NDP vote collapse that swept the Liberals into power also swept her into office for the first time over the incumbent Conservative MP.

So, I'd guess that she's made the calculation that, while the Liberals may get re-elected as the incumbent government, her own electoral prospects as a Liberal candidate in her riding were dimmer. And she's probably not too eager to give up the $170K annual salary she makes as an MP, plus the gold-plated MP pension she'd lose out on if she doesn't win her seat in the next election (you have to serve as an MP for six years to be eligible for the full pension).
Plus if they do happen to win, then she has an inside track at a cabinet post, whereas under the Libs, she's stuck as a back bencher.

Floor crosser is no good for Trudeau, but unsure if it will have a serious impact.

Jagmeet really has a ton of work to do if he has any hope of avoiding an obliteration. I'm not so sure he'll be able to pull it off though.

The really interesting thing will be how much support peepee Bernier bleeds from the Cons

It happens a couple times with every government. In the long run it usually makes the member look worse than the party.

She was clearly never a Liberal in the first place. Her MO seems to be increasing military spending..... in Canada.

It happens a couple times with every government. In the long run it usually makes the member look worse than the party.

She was clearly never a Liberal in the first place. Her MO seems to be increasing military spending..... in Canada.

I disagree that she was clearly never a Liberal. you seem to be basing that on... a single view she holds?

and she is a veteran, which may have quite a bit to do with supporting increased military spending.

I also was unaware that as a Liberal, that is not an opinion you are entitled to hold.

I do agree though that this is not really a big deal in the larger scheme of things, and she likely did this in an attempt primarily to save her seat.

I disagree that she was clearly never a Liberal. you seem to be basing that on... a single view she holds?

and she is a veteran, which may have quite a bit to do with supporting increased military spending.

I also was unaware that as a Liberal, that is not an opinion you are entitled to hold.

I do agree though that this is not really a big deal in the larger scheme of things, and she likely did this in an attempt primarily to save her seat.

Yeah, I'm not going to base all this on one policy point. These things happen. And as much as Sheer will want to play this up about Liberals fleeing a sinking ship or something like that, he did JUST lose a pretty freaking major member of his caucus.

Trudeau despite issues this summer is still up 40-31 with Singh way behind at 15. I suspect he has to keep pounding away at Donnie.

Ed Broadbent used to say that a political culture has matured when it becomes a two party state (of course he only says that when the NDP does well and finishes 2nd), but maybe if we can obliterate the NDP, he will be right.

Dni-U2GVYAAScca.jpg

Ontario wants a do over. Weird how all the populist bullshit that gets voted for (Brexit, Trump, Ford) almost immediately has popularity issues as soon as the honeymoon is over.

Maybe stop voting for pandering jerk offs selling soothing fictions?

Dni-U2GVYAAScca.jpg

Ontario wants a do over. Weird how all the populist bullshit that gets voted for (Brexit, Trump, Ford) almost immediately has popularity issues as soon as the honeymoon is over.

Maybe stop voting for pandering jerk offs selling soothing fictions?

Canadians don't so much vote governments for as they vote out unpopular governments and leaders.

In this case, it was suicide, complete and total suicide for the Liberals to run Wynne in another election. And in the cases of populist leaders winning elections, the left if not blameless. When the left runs generally detested candidates in what is essentially a glorified popularity contest, it's not a surprise when people use a populist instead.

Its a mistake made time after time.

Clinton was the second most hated candidate in history, beaten by a populist.

Wynne had popularity that was in the single digits, got obliterated by a populist.

Alberta NDP has a leader who is widely disliked and blamed for the economic issues and government finances, but despite low personal popularity numbers, they plan to run with her, Kenney will destroy her.

France looks like they are going to make the same mistake, Macron with a unpopularity that rivals that of Hollande, the beneficiary being the far right National Rally party. I doubt they choose a new leader.

If the left/establishment parties ran better Candidates they would get better results.

Canadians don't so much vote governments for as they vote out unpopular governments and leaders.

In this case, it was suicide, complete and total suicide for the Liberals to run Wynne in another election. And in the cases of populist leaders winning elections, the left if not blameless. When the left runs generally detested candidates in what is essentially a glorified popularity contest, it's not a surprise when people use a populist instead.

Its a mistake made time after time.

Clinton was the second most hated candidate in history, beaten by a populist.

Wynne had popularity that was in the single digits, got obliterated by a populist.

Alberta NDP has a leader who is widely disliked and blamed for the economic issues and government finances, but despite low personal popularity numbers, they plan to run with her, Kenney will destroy her.

France looks like they are going to make the same mistake, Macron with a unpopularity that rivals that of Hollande, the beneficiary being the far right National Rally party. I doubt they choose a new leader.

If the left/establishment parties ran better Candidates they would get better results.

The Liberals in some ways had no choice but to run Wynne. It's really hard to dump a sitting leader, especially one who was internally more popular than outwardly. Yes, ideally she should have stepped aside for the good of the party, done a "I know you hate me, but I still believe in this party, so I think it's in our best interest to have some new leadership."

Who really screwed up was the NDP, since the election was virtually handed to them on a golden platter with possibly the 2 most hated leaders in the country facing off. But NDP gonna NDP, and this is what we're left with.

The NDP & Liberals both deserve a lot of blame.

Howarth is a lacklustre & uninspiring leader who's already had almost a decade at the helm of that party, and before the last election had already had two kicks at the can as the NDP leader in general elections. In those elections, she was also going up against a deeply unpopular incumbent Liberal government, and PC leaders (Tory & Hudak) who raised shooting themselves in the foot into an art form.

Yet all she managed to do was win 17 seats in their first election, and then bump that up to 21 seats after forcing the 2014 election, with the side-effect that the NDP lost the balance of power they'd held in what was previously a minority parliament, and handed a majority government back to Wynne and the Liberals.

As for the Liberals, who really cares that Wynne was popular inside the party? It was screamingly obvious that outside of the Ontario Liberal Party bubble, the only way they had the slightest chance in the 2018 election was to replace Wynne and the senior leadership of the party with people who had no connection to the Wynne/McGuinty years.

Instead, out of hubris, they went ahead with the old crew and predictably got annihilated to below official party status at the polls, and Ontario got saddled with Premier Doug Ford.

Back