• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 World Cup Thread

Cantor is like a child with a megaphone. He's fun for a few minutes and then it just wears on ya.

Sunday Funday

Mexico 1 Germany 0 ... Mexico came out aggressive and the Germans frankly didn't handle it well. By the time they got their will imposed on the game in the second half, El Tri was bunkered. They both deserved the result, I thought.

Serbia 1 Costa Rico 0 ... dunno. I was busy, but that's hardly a shocker.

Brazil 1, Switzerland 1 ... Brazil are frustrated but the Swiss are no fun to play against. They defend well and have just enough talent in attack to take advantage of cracks as they are presented.

And if you're keeping track at home, the three heavy betting favorites have all gotten off to less than stellar starts. 2 points total between Spain, Germany and Brazil. The game is afoot.

You didn’t miss much. Like watching paint dry. Struggled to stay awake.

Every so often you regret skipping what looks like a dullsville matchup on paper ... but most of the time not so much.

Speaking of which, So. Korea is playing Sweden right now. Don't care. Not even a little bit.

I'm being facetious, but it seemed as though Germany were willing to give up counterattacks and breakouts all day because they trusted that Mexico couldn't finish. Every Mexico attacker played like he was exclusively one-footed, and always had the ball on the other one. If Mexico had taken care of business in those situations, it would have been over very early. Germany's back line needs to get its **** together in short order.

The Mexicans won, dude. That's all that matters.

Germany played with a truckload of hubris in that game. It's a mistake they won't make again. I pity their next opponent.

OK ... Monday recap.

Sweden and So Korea yawned through the morning game, with the Swedes taking a 1-0 result that was as boring as you thought it would be. Belgium officially became the only kinda, sorta favorite to make a bit opening statement with a decisive 3-0 win over Panama. England tried to revert to "same old England" mode but Harry Kane salvaged their day with a late header on a set piece to secure a 2-1 result over Tunisia. They REALLY needed that. I like that Southgate set up this England squad to function like an actual team instead of a loosely assembled collection of over-priced and over-pressurized "stars" but if you don't get the results, it doesn't matter. They got the result. Good on 'em.

Tomorrow is the last of the opening round games for Group H as Columbia faces Japan and Poland faces Senegal. Russia and Egypt from Group A are the afternoon game. Enjoy a little James with your eggs tomorrow, folks.

OK ... no more recaps. Apparently I'm the only one interested in the thread and frankly, I had a heart problem and spent two days in the hospital. No way I'm reliving ANY of that.

First off, glad you're back and on the mend.

I'm really enjoying watching the WC matches while I work (yay guest network), and reading the soccer threads, I'm just not familiar enough with the national teams to offer any value of my own on it. Terrific finish by the Swiss today, and if I wasn't predisposed to hate the Ticos because of the battles in the Hex, I'd be crushed by them taking Brazil even all the way to stoppage time today before yielding.

Because of the game times, I've missed most of the games so far. Today was kind of crazy. Germany is absolutely lucky to still be in this tournament. They should have left the first half down 2-0 and down to only 10 men, but only went in trailing by one at the half and had a stoppage time winner to stay alive in the tournament. I don't understand how VAR has given us so many questionable penalties and a blatant penalty that should have been a straight red isn't even reviewed. Sweden absolutely has the right to feel a little bit screwed in this one.

Jeff, take care of yourself. Without you, I'm only one of four American Villa fans.

Belgium dismantled Tunisia 5-2, Hazard and Lukaku each had a brace. Batshuayi missed 2 sitters before potting the 5th goal. Tunisia was in it for a half though. The match against England on Thursday should be a good one. Didn’t see any of the others except for Kroos’ winner this afternoon.

There was a lot of dismantling going on today. England humiliated Panama and Columbia took Poland apart at the seams. Fun day if you like offense.

England dismantled Panama, 6-1 with Kane netting a hat trick, 2 on penalties. That sets up a winner take all match on Thursday. They are tied on points, goal differential and goals scored. I think a draw will send it to the 7th tiebreaker (fair play points) to determine the group winner. Panama and Tunisia are eliminated.

Japan and Senegal draw 2-2 and remain tied atop Group H on 4 points. Columbia beat Poland 3-0 eliminating the Poles and putting them in a position to advance with a win over Senegal on Thursday. If Japan and Senegal win, both advance and the group winner will be determined by a tiebreaker. Columbia holds the advantage on goal differential in the event of a tie on points with Japan.

Last edited:
Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri are facing 2 match bans for their goal celebrations in Switzerland’s win over Serbia. Both gave a double eagle hand gesture after scoring, a symbol on the Albanian flag. Both are ethnic Kosovar Albanians and Xhaka’s father was jailed as a political prisoner by the former Yugoslav government. Although Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008, Serbia hasn’t recognized it as an independent state. FIFA only admitted Kosovo in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44592846

Granit Xhaka and Xherdan Shaqiri are facing 2 match bans for their goal celebrations in Switzerland’s win over Serbia. Both gave a double eagle hand gesture after scoring, a symbol on the Albanian flag. Both are ethnic Kosovar Albanians and Xhaka’s father was jailed as a political prisoner by the former Yugoslav government. Although Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in 2008, Serbia hasn’t recognized it as an independent state. FIFA only admitted Kosovo in 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44592846

Sorry, but I've got friends who have lived and worked in Kosovo since before the UN recognized them and this is horsecrap. The only people offended by that gesture are people who unapologetically committed systemic racial genocide for a decade.

Yeah, I’m always in favor of the oppressed mocking the oppressors. That is never offensive.

And where's the penalty for Serb fans who showed up to that game wearing tee shirts with huge pictures of convicted warlords and torturers? This punishment is tantamount to allowing those hideous human to directly benefit from that provocation.

Yeah. I take issue with this ruling. Absolutely I do.

Starting to wrap up some groups.

Uruguay takes Group A by not so gently returning Russia to earth with a 3-0 beating. Uruguay are playing well, but this was NOT a challenging group. Russia takes second, and Saudi Arabia beat Egypt for third. Egypt have to be one of the bigger disappointments of the tournament.

Group B wraps later today. Iran play Portugal and are still in it ... so long as they win, which frankly seems a stretch. Spain play Morocco, who have played exceptionally well despite losing twice. That one could get sticky.

Yeah, I’m always in favor of the oppressed mocking the oppressors. That is never offensive.

Couldn’t agree more.

And where's the penalty for Serb fans who showed up to that game wearing tee shirts with huge pictures of convicted warlords and torturers? This punishment is tantamount to allowing those hideous human to directly benefit from that provocation.

Yeah. I take issue with this ruling. Absolutely I do.

The Serbian federation was fined $10,000. Big f’n deal.

About an hour ago, Xhaka and Shaqiri were fined 10,000 Swiss Francs (about $10,350) but are cleared to play.

Back