Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 World Cup Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2018 World Cup Thread

Cantor is like a child with a megaphone. He's fun for a few minutes and then it just wears on ya.

Sunday Funday

Mexico 1 Germany 0 ... Mexico came out aggressive and the Germans frankly didn't handle it well. By the time they got their will imposed on the game in the second half, El Tri was bunkered. They both deserved the result, I thought.

Serbia 1 Costa Rico 0 ... dunno. I was busy, but that's hardly a shocker.

Brazil 1, Switzerland 1 ... Brazil are frustrated but the Swiss are no fun to play against. They defend well and have just enough talent in attack to take advantage of cracks as they are presented.

And if you're keeping track at home, the three heavy betting favorites have all gotten off to less than stellar starts. 2 points total between Spain, Germany and Brazil. The game is afoot.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffbear View Post
    Serbia 1 Costa Rico 0 ... dunno. I was busy, but that's hardly a shocker.
    You didn’t miss much. Like watching paint dry. Struggled to stay awake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    You didn’t miss much. Like watching paint dry. Struggled to stay awake.
    Every so often you regret skipping what looks like a dullsville matchup on paper ... but most of the time not so much.

Speaking of which, So. Korea is playing Sweden right now. Don't care. Not even a little bit.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm being facetious, but it seemed as though Germany were willing to give up counterattacks and breakouts all day because they trusted that Mexico couldn't finish. Every Mexico attacker played like he was exclusively one-footed, and always had the ball on the other one. If Mexico had taken care of business in those situations, it would have been over very early. Germany's back line needs to get its **** together in short order.

Post Thanks / Like

The Mexicans won, dude. That's all that matters.

Germany played with a truckload of hubris in that game. It's a mistake they won't make again. I pity their next opponent.

Post Thanks / Like

OK ... Monday recap.

Sweden and So Korea yawned through the morning game, with the Swedes taking a 1-0 result that was as boring as you thought it would be. Belgium officially became the only kinda, sorta favorite to make a bit opening statement with a decisive 3-0 win over Panama. England tried to revert to "same old England" mode but Harry Kane salvaged their day with a late header on a set piece to secure a 2-1 result over Tunisia. They REALLY needed that. I like that Southgate set up this England squad to function like an actual team instead of a loosely assembled collection of over-priced and over-pressurized "stars" but if you don't get the results, it doesn't matter. They got the result. Good on 'em.

Tomorrow is the last of the opening round games for Group H as Columbia faces Japan and Poland faces Senegal. Russia and Egypt from Group A are the afternoon game. Enjoy a little James with your eggs tomorrow, folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12