• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

MB

Can any MB fluffers address that? But realistically, no one should like MB. I'm confused about Sal, I am not sure if he's trying some exotic strain of kush.
Let go of emotion and analyze.

- Been posting here forever amateur scouting (in particular 1st round drafting) has sucked donkey dong since the Gainey selection in the 1st round some 45-drafts ago - that’s 8-GMs including 3-HOFs and a GM legend. Side note, Caps Cup team was primarily built on 1st round drafting success, I digress.

- also have been posting for a few years now, had MB actually drafted & developed properly he’d have ammo, even if it meant overpaying for that C

- finally...have been saying the 1947 system imposed by Frank Selke Sr of defensive awareness first and always was ok when players had no power / choice power & either did as the coach said or didn’t play. It’s more than a coincidence the Habs haven’t won a Cup since the players gained more & more choice power

Most importantly it’s not a rich ownership consortium, they can’t afford tank mode like the Leafs, or Pegula’s Sabres or Dolan’s NYR should they go that route. The Habs are caught in the middle, which is always the worst place to be.

- Been posting here forever amateur scouting (in particular 1st round drafting) has sucked donkey dong since the Gainey selection in the 1st round some 45-drafts ago - that’s 8-GMs including 3-HOFs and a GM legend. Side note, Caps Cup team was primarily built on 1st round drafting success, I digress.

- also have been posting for a few years now, had MB actually drafted & developed properly he’d have ammo, even if it meant overpaying for that C

- finally...have been saying the 1947 system imposed by Frank Selke Sr of defensive awareness first and always was ok when players had no power / choice power & either did as the coach said or didn’t play. It’s more than a coincidence the Habs haven’t won a Cup since the players gained more & more choice power

Most importantly it’s not a rich ownership consortium, they can’t afford tank mode like the Leafs, or Pegula’s Sabres or Dolan’s NYR should they go that route. The Habs are caught in the middle, which is always the worst place to be.

That's the first thing I said when I found out they had bought the team....

And it will only get worse, unless (as I’ve also stated ad nauseam) the Habs take a page out of the Expos book and become the league benchmark for drafting & development.

LV has become the choice destination, soon Seattle and/or Houston will be added to that list. Mtl is becoming less of a desired destination in the eyes of players with each passing year.

Happy Bradley?

Last edited:

BS ...they can tank and do a proper 3-4 year rebuild or at least get a better framework to move forward

Its got nothing to do with the consortium being paupers .

The fans will still show up and luxury boxes will still be fine .

Fans will accept it , I am sure there are tons of potential season ticket holders looking to get in .

So what have they accomplished the last 3 years beyond incompetence and being clowns of the league .

You gave your fans nothing but headaches and made sqaut in playoff revenue.

This isnt Carolina or Florida where no one gives a shit .

There is no way if we were transparent and honest like the Leafs were with their fans that it wont be supported with no other major league in town and hockey 365/24/7 .

Sal its been 6 years , your have to show some progress and hope .

There are no guarantees but this SHIT is hopeless

BS ...they can tank and do a proper 3-4 year rebuild or at least get a better framework to move forward

Its got nothing to do with the consortium being paupers .

The fans will still show up and luxury boxes will still be fine .

Fans will accept it , I am sure there are tons of potential season ticket holders looking to get in .

So what have they accomplished the last 3 years beyond incompetence and being clowns of the league .

You gave your fans nothing but headaches and made sqaut in playoff revenue.

This isnt Carolina or Florida where no one gives a shit .

There is no way if we were transparent and honest like the Leafs were with their fans that it wont be supported with no other major league in town and hockey 365/24/7 .

Sal its been 6 years , your have to show some progress and hope .

There are no guarantees but this SHIT is hopeless
Scalpers can’t even find buyers right now, just go back to late 90’s / early 2000s boxes were empty, the arena was at 60-70% capacity. That’s why no one stepped up to buy the team at a super discount until Gillet showed up and snatched them at bargain basement price.

For f*ck sakes the Habs used to giveaway a bunch of tix at the old Forum in the early 80’s, just after the dynasty, which is why Corey was brought in by Molson to straighten out the profit & loss of the business.

That’s Mtl - it’s not a sports city, it’s not even a hockey city, it’s a Habs win city.

BTW - have also stated this a bunch of times, Habs have one of the highest debt ratios in the league, compared to almost nothing for the Leafs and all paid off NYR. That means the ownership has to pony up payments every month...

Last edited:
And it will only get worse, unless (as I’ve also stated ad nauseam) the Habs take a page out of the Expos book and become the league benchmark for drafting & development.

LV has become the choice destination, soon Seattle and/or Houston will be added to that list. Mtl is becoming less of a desired destination in the eyes of players with each passing year.

Happy Bradley?
Are you saying we are watching the death of a empire?

Scalpers can’t even find buyers right now, just go back to late 90’s / early 2000s boxes were empty, the arena was at 60-70% capacity. That’s why no one stepped up to buy the team at a super discount until Gillet showed up and snatched them at bargain basement price.

For f*ck sakes the Habs used to giveaway a bunch of tix at the old Forum in the early 80’s, just after the dynasty.

That’s Mtl - it’s not a sports city, it’s not even a hockey city, it’s a Habs win city.

BTW - have also stated this a bunch of times, Habs have one of the highest debt ratios in the league, compared to almost nothing for the Leafs and all paid off NYR. That means the ownership has to pony up payments every month...

The fans are frustrated because we don't have a plan. If we were a young, exciting team, filled with 3-4 high end prospects and more on the way, and ownership transparent about rebuilding and putting a winner on the ice in 3-4 years, the fans would be understanding. Nothing MB has done so far, shows us that he has a plan on doing that. That's why, we are where we are right now. I don't even watch games on the TV anymore, because there's nothing to have hope for. Without hope, you lose your fan base, and I think it's starting to slowly happen. Fans are turning on ownership and everyone wants MB to be fired.

The fans are frustrated because we don't have a plan. If we were a young, exciting team, filled with 3-4 high end prospects and more on the way, and ownership transparent about rebuilding and putting a winner on the ice in 3-4 years, the fans would be understanding. Nothing MB has done so far, shows us that he has a plan on doing that. That's why, we are where we are right now. I don't even watch games on the TV anymore, because there's nothing to have hope for. Without hope, you lose your fan base, and I think it's starting to slowly happen. Fans are turning on ownership and everyone wants MB to be fired.
As McGuire has repeatedly stated during his interview process for GM, rebuild was an unacceptable option to Molson & Andlauer.

As Jr said at MBs opening PC, “plan is to be competitive immediately”...

These are businessmen looking to make sure they can payoff their monthly loan, and use the brand for side business ventures to grow revenue streams

As McGuire has repeatedly stated during his interview process for GM, rebuild was an unacceptable option to Molson & Andlauer.

As Jr said at MBs opening PC, “plan is to be competitive immediately”...

These are businessmen looking to make sure they can payoff their monthly loan, and use the brand for side business ventures to grow revenue streams

Well then, I have the right to say Molson sucks and it's not surprising we aren't going to win the cup with patch jobs. It hasn't worked in 25 years, and I thought they'd figure it out by now. It will take a miracle to get us to the finals one day. I know MB is also limited by ownership's instructions, trust me, I'm equally pissed we have them as an owner.

It’s not just here, when Minny hired their GM from Preds, mandate from ownership was minimal tweaks and playoff competitiveness starting immediately. I’m sure that’s not what Paul Fenton wanted to hear...but there’s only 31 of those jobs available and all are fall under the “choice jobs” category, that you can’t pass up if you’re dream is to be GM

Happy Bradley?

And how long is that Expos book going to take if you dont START SOMEWHWERE AND DO IT RIGHT FFS

Thats the problem Sal , thats what turnip head said from day 1 draft and develop was the key .

So WTF has he developed . If he did it right from day 1 we arent in this mess . Maybe we dont win a cup but at least we are creating some
buzz with excitement with hope .

There is no plan in place. Baldy can say whatever he wants about no rebuilds ... THATS WHERE ARE ARE but would they wouldnt know it if it hit them in the head .

So what now Sal ? Lets wait another 3 years til maybe the light bulb goes on while we wallow in 10th place hoping 31 at 34 can keep pulling rabbits out of his ass.

So we arent rebuilding ...WTF are we do doing .......

drafting and development should be the priority for the habs

1) it gives you players to replace the markovs, pleks, etc as the age (you can then trade them for assets if you have internal options)
2) you can get subban and gallaghers to contribute to your team
3) you can use picks, developed prospects to trade for current assets
4) having a stream of young players coming up means you do not need to spend money and term of Alzner types

so basically drafting and developing helps trades and free agency

that said i am mildly excited about last years draft

in 3-4 years we should have some serviceable players instead of wasting money on alzner types

And how long is that Expos book going to take if you dont START SOMEWHWERE AND DO IT RIGHT FFS

Thats the problem Sal , thats what turnip head said from day 1 draft and develop was the key .

So WTF has he developed . If he did it right from day 1 we arent in this mess . Maybe we dont win a cup but at least we are creating some
buzz with excitement with hope .

There is no plan in place. Baldy can say whatever he wants about no rebuilds ... THATS WHERE ARE ARE but would they wouldnt know it if it hit them in the head .

So what now Sal ? Lets wait another 3 years til maybe the light bulb goes on while we wallow in 10th place hoping 31 at 34 can keep pulling rabbits out of his ass.

So we arent rebuilding ...WTF are we do doing .......
Lightbulb will never go off, because they don’t possess the financial wherewithal to allow the lightbulb to go off - does the ownership know it’s the right thing to do,
they’re not idiots I’m sure they do.

The issue with the Expos book as CH has said many times, you’ve got upwards of 30-rounds in MLB not 7.

Poehling - seems to be tracking pretty well
Primeau - is looking like a steal but goalies are hard to predict
the WHL Dmen - i bet we get at least 1 top 4 guy out of that

drafting and development should be the priority for the habs

1) it gives you players to replace the markovs, pleks, etc as the age (you can then trade them for assets if you have internal options)
2) you can get subban and gallaghers to contribute to your team
3) you can use picks, developed prospects to trade for current assets
4) having a stream of young players coming up means you do not need to spend money and term of Alzner types

so basically drafting and developing helps trades and free agency
Unfortunately it’s easier said than done, as your analysis showed take away Stevie Ys gimmes (Stamkos & Hedman) and 2010 & 2011 drafts and TBay hasn’t been all that except Point and maybe 1 or 2 others in an insignificant role. Even Sergachev was the result of a good season expectation gone awry - Drouin

Thus the eternal conundrum to tank or not...

Unfortunately it’s easier said than done, as your analysis showed take away Stevie Ys gimmes (Stamkos & Hedman) and 2010 & 2011 drafts and TBay hasn’t been all that except Point and maybe 1 or 2 others in an insignificant role. Even Sergachev was the result of a good season expectation gone awry - Drouin

Thus the eternal conundrum to tank or not...

Oh ya. It is not easy. But getting rid of Sly was easy.

Other easy things...
Another example is that most of us knew McCarron was never a top 6 forward. So even if you do draft him - trade him for futures before the rest of the world figures it out.
Tinordi is another example - never trade up to draft a defensive dman. See how those low risk picks actually having risk.

Other things that can be done. Hire the people or do the work that is thinking 3-4 drafts away. Know that a 2019 first rounder is less valuable then a 2020...or whatever.
Find out what draft picks tend to be overate and which tend to be underrated.

And NEVER draft for intangibles.

Happy Bradley?

The Expires were not a benchmark for anything except the league doormat

Back