Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 441 to 453 of 453

Thread: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

  1. #441
    Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    67,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    Guess he'll be able to come live in Montreal too.
    Can he coach a power play?

  2. #442
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    Guess he'll be able to come live in Montreal too.
    oh great
    chuck 2.0 now
    ...

  3. #443
    Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    58,719
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by Sal_Butera View Post
    KKs old man fired as Assat head coach.

    https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-10496859
    I guess because he couldn't convince his son to play in a 3rd rate league
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

    Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

  4. #444
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Chuck vs KK as rookies

    People seem to forget how good chuck was his first year.

    He played centre on the third line though Prust would take a lot of key draws.

    Had 27 points in 48 games.

    Sadly he did not progress and that is where my focus lies with KK

    A lot of similarities between the two
    - both 18
    - both knee injuries
    - both did not play centre the year before NHL (chuck's half year)
    - both started as third line centres
    - both suck at faceoffs
    - both play sheltered mins / zone starts
    - both poised with the puck
    - both positive corsi players

    Differences exist as well
    in general
    - KK smarter (defense, takeaways, etc)
    - Chuck more skilled (skating, shot)

    So what is the point?
    Hard to look back at chuck and see the promise he had knowing how it would turn out.
    Chuck is a good example of how a rookie year does not guarantee anything.

    I am expecting more out of KK than Chuck. I am not really worried about KKs defensive game but I am worried about his offense. Not that I dont think he can get some points but I want him to be a PPG centre at a minimum. Those are my expectations of him. Being good is not good enough.
    ...

  5. #445
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    21,945
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    I can see Chuck being a near PPG guy in Arizona. Hopefully that's what we get out of JK here.

  6. #446
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    PPG and good defensively would be awesome.
    ...

  7. #447
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    52,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    I can see Chuck being a near PPG guy in Arizona. Hopefully that's what we get out of JK here.
    Really based on what? He has never come close to being a PPG guy in the NHL in his first 6 years....I would maybe consider him a long shot if he ever hit 60 but he hasn't.

    Man you really love this player don't you?
    Go Habs Go!

  8. #448
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    52,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    Chuck vs KK as rookies

    People seem to forget how good chuck was his first year.

    He played centre on the third line though Prust would take a lot of key draws.

    Had 27 points in 48 games.

    Sadly he did not progress and that is where my focus lies with KK

    A lot of similarities between the two
    - both 18
    - both knee injuries
    - both did not play centre the year before NHL (chuck's half year)
    - both started as third line centres
    - both suck at faceoffs
    - both play sheltered mins / zone starts
    - both poised with the puck
    - both positive corsi players

    Differences exist as well
    in general
    - KK smarter (defense, takeaways, etc)
    - Chuck more skilled (skating, shot)

    So what is the point?
    Hard to look back at chuck and see the promise he had knowing how it would turn out.
    Chuck is a good example of how a rookie year does not guarantee anything.

    I am expecting more out of KK than Chuck. I am not really worried about KKs defensive game but I am worried about his offense. Not that I dont think he can get some points but I want him to be a PPG centre at a minimum. Those are my expectations of him. Being good is not good enough.
    Sorry but both are not comparable when it comes to puck management, seeing the game and as you mentioned "poise" and the infamous hockey IQ

    One has it and the other is mediocre in all the above.

    There's a reason Galchenyuk made horrible turnovers, made soft plays with the puck, is lost on defensive zone coverage and rarely made his linemates better players.

    You guys are undervaluing that skill set in JK big time...some of the plays I've seen this kid make in his first ten games in the NHL, the passes, the puck distribution when pressured, the defensive zone coverage which he has already grasped is miles ahead of even some seasoned vets
    Go Habs Go!

  9. #449
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Sorry but both are not comparable when it comes to puck management, seeing the game and as you mentioned "poise" and the infamous hockey IQ

    One has it and the other is mediocre in all the above.

    There's a reason Galchenyuk made horrible turnovers, made soft plays with the puck, is lost on defensive zone coverage and rarely made his linemates better players.

    You guys are undervaluing that skill set in JK big time...some of the plays I've seen this kid make in his first ten games in the NHL, the passes, the puck distribution when pressured, the defensive zone coverage which he has already grasped is miles ahead of even some seasoned vets
    huh

    you seem to be inferring a shit ton here
    or you quoted the wrong post
    ...

  10. #450
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    52,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    huh

    you seem to be inferring a shit ton here
    or you quoted the wrong post
    I get worked up when people are comparing the two

    Here’s my perspective...JK will become closer to what Kopitar is while Galchenyuk can maybe aspire to be a Matt Duchene
    Go Habs Go!

  11. #451
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Really based on what? He has never come close to being a PPG guy in the NHL in his first 6 years....I would maybe consider him a long shot if he ever hit 60 but he hasn't.

    Man you really love this player don't you?
    He's doing alright in zona right now, 7 GP, 6 pts.

    Will be interested to see if he can keep it up
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

  12. #452
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    52,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    He's doing alright in zona right now, 7 GP, 6 pts.

    Will be interested to see if he can keep it up
    He’ll do alright but I don’t see an 80 point player
    Go Habs Go!

  13. #453
    Legend Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    He’ll do alright but I don’t see an 80 point player
    I see a 70 point forward.

    Which, in fairness, would be nice either here or in Arizona.

    But he needs to play as the teams number one center for that to happen and MB would rather step down than let that happen, so off to zona it was.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •