• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

I remember a great segment by Ray Ferraro on TSN 690 the day after Suzuki was sent down and this talk of now needing to dominate junior came up.

He said he has seen several first rounders go back to junior for their final year and not put up better stats than previous years for a multitude of reasons such as obvious ones like starting the junior year late because they were still at an NHL camp, having to play at the WJC and other readons such as being asked to focus on being more complete players or learning a new position.

I don’t think it would be fair to say Suzuki isn’t dominant in junior if he doesn’t produce as much as last year, he will likely be a better hockey player after this year if he’s working on other aspects of his game

yep and easier to learn that stuff away from the NHL

it is also common for players to not have great starts when sent back from NHL camps

Doesn't Suzuki have 17 points in 10 games?
Sure... he's turning up like I expected.

At the time he had 11 points in 8 games... which, as I said is not dominating in the OHL.

He's at 16 in 10 now... that pace is getting up into that "dominating" area.

Even then though... that's the same pace he's scored at for the past 2 seasons.

I guess he's a bust eh....

This is a weird convo.

It was a pretty normal conversation up until you called it weird.

~ You said he was dominating.
~ I said that he wasn't dominating YET and I figured he probably would eventually.
~ A week later you quoted me and pointed out his current stats to say that he IS dominating.
~ I agreed that he is now dominating, but even then he hasn't really upped his production from the previous 2 seasons YET.

I am by no means calling him a bust either. I think he's an excellent prospect and I expect him to have a big year, and fully expect him to have his biggest year to date.

Interesting tweet from Mitch Brown:

Some way too early CHL tracking project observations 75 games in:

Nick Suzuki (MTL) leads in just about everything.

Shots/60? Yes.
Shot Assists/60? Of course.
Entries/60? Obviously.
Scoring Chances/60? Those too.
Scoring Chance Assists/60? You bet.

Interesting tweet from Mitch Brown:

Some way too early CHL tracking project observations 75 games in:

Nick Suzuki (MTL) leads in just about everything.

Shots/60? Yes.
Shot Assists/60? Of course.
Entries/60? Obviously.
Scoring Chances/60? Those too.
Scoring Chance Assists/60? You bet.

See, that's even better. As much as he's producing, his underlying stats show that he is playing even better than the goals and assists suggest. Very nice.

At a minimum I would like to see both Suzuki & Poehling dominate WJC. Icing on the cake would be Suzuki getting the opportunity to dominate at the Memorial Cup & doing so.

It was a pretty normal conversation up until you called it weird.

~ You said he was dominating.
~ I said that he wasn't dominating YET and I figured he probably would eventually.
~ A week later you quoted me and pointed out his current stats to say that he IS dominating.
~ I agreed that he is now dominating, but even then he hasn't really upped his production from the previous 2 seasons YET.

I am by no means calling him a bust either. I think he's an excellent prospect and I expect him to have a big year, and fully expect him to have his biggest year to date.

All indications are that he is dominating. See above.

but what he's like on faceoffs? need to know before I get too excited.

that is actually a concern

heard on the twitter that he is not taking faceoffs and not playing centre

not sure if that is true or not

that is actually a concern

heard on the twitter that he is not taking faceoffs and not playing centre

not sure if that is true or not

so, after all this weird talk, Suzuki not dominating after all. Thanks.

Back