• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Welcome Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Chuck vs KK as rookies

People seem to forget how good chuck was his first year.

He played centre on the third line though Prust would take a lot of key draws.

Had 27 points in 48 games.

Sadly he did not progress and that is where my focus lies with KK

A lot of similarities between the two
- both 18
- both knee injuries
- both did not play centre the year before NHL (chuck's half year)
- both started as third line centres
- both suck at faceoffs
- both play sheltered mins / zone starts
- both poised with the puck
- both positive corsi players

Differences exist as well
in general
- KK smarter (defense, takeaways, etc)
- Chuck more skilled (skating, shot)

So what is the point?
Hard to look back at chuck and see the promise he had knowing how it would turn out.
Chuck is a good example of how a rookie year does not guarantee anything.

I am expecting more out of KK than Chuck. I am not really worried about KKs defensive game but I am worried about his offense. Not that I dont think he can get some points but I want him to be a PPG centre at a minimum. Those are my expectations of him. Being good is not good enough.

I can see Chuck being a near PPG guy in Arizona. Hopefully that's what we get out of JK here.

Really based on what? He has never come close to being a PPG guy in the NHL in his first 6 years....I would maybe consider him a long shot if he ever hit 60 but he hasn't.

Man you really love this player don't you?

Chuck vs KK as rookies

People seem to forget how good chuck was his first year.

He played centre on the third line though Prust would take a lot of key draws.

Had 27 points in 48 games.

Sadly he did not progress and that is where my focus lies with KK

A lot of similarities between the two
- both 18
- both knee injuries
- both did not play centre the year before NHL (chuck's half year)
- both started as third line centres
- both suck at faceoffs
- both play sheltered mins / zone starts
- both poised with the puck
- both positive corsi players

Differences exist as well
in general
- KK smarter (defense, takeaways, etc)
- Chuck more skilled (skating, shot)

So what is the point?
Hard to look back at chuck and see the promise he had knowing how it would turn out.
Chuck is a good example of how a rookie year does not guarantee anything.

I am expecting more out of KK than Chuck. I am not really worried about KKs defensive game but I am worried about his offense. Not that I dont think he can get some points but I want him to be a PPG centre at a minimum. Those are my expectations of him. Being good is not good enough.

Sorry but both are not comparable when it comes to puck management, seeing the game and as you mentioned "poise" and the infamous hockey IQ

One has it and the other is mediocre in all the above.

There's a reason Galchenyuk made horrible turnovers, made soft plays with the puck, is lost on defensive zone coverage and rarely made his linemates better players.

You guys are undervaluing that skill set in JK big time...some of the plays I've seen this kid make in his first ten games in the NHL, the passes, the puck distribution when pressured, the defensive zone coverage which he has already grasped is miles ahead of even some seasoned vets

Sorry but both are not comparable when it comes to puck management, seeing the game and as you mentioned "poise" and the infamous hockey IQ

One has it and the other is mediocre in all the above.

There's a reason Galchenyuk made horrible turnovers, made soft plays with the puck, is lost on defensive zone coverage and rarely made his linemates better players.

You guys are undervaluing that skill set in JK big time...some of the plays I've seen this kid make in his first ten games in the NHL, the passes, the puck distribution when pressured, the defensive zone coverage which he has already grasped is miles ahead of even some seasoned vets

huh

you seem to be inferring a shit ton here
or you quoted the wrong post

huh

you seem to be inferring a shit ton here
or you quoted the wrong post

I get worked up when people are comparing the two

Here’s my perspective...JK will become closer to what Kopitar is while Galchenyuk can maybe aspire to be a Matt Duchene

Really based on what? He has never come close to being a PPG guy in the NHL in his first 6 years....I would maybe consider him a long shot if he ever hit 60 but he hasn't.

Man you really love this player don't you?

He's doing alright in zona right now, 7 GP, 6 pts.

Will be interested to see if he can keep it up

He’ll do alright but I don’t see an 80 point player

I see a 70 point forward.

Which, in fairness, would be nice either here or in Arizona.

But he needs to play as the teams number one center for that to happen and MB would rather step down than let that happen, so off to zona it was.

So KK has 2 more points than Svechnikov (in fairness Svechnikov has played 1 less game). They have very similar TOI as well.

KK is tied with Dahlin in points in as many games while Dahlin is averaging about 5 minutes more of TOI.

He seems to be holding his own points wise with the upper class of the draft. He is tied for 4th in rookie scoring yet everyone else has 2-3 years on him. Only Brady Tkatchuk is scoring at a better pace than KK from the 2018 draft.

Pettersson seems like a lock for the Calder but he's older. 20 games in I am pleased with the pick.

I wanted Tkatchuk....but i'm happy so far with KK.

It's a long-terms guessing game....who will be better over the next 10-15 years...impossible to guess right now

It's a long-terms guessing game....who will be better over the next 10-15 years...impossible to guess right now
That’s the beauty of drafting a player. So who was the best player to come out of the generational 2003 draft class, 15-years removed now?

It used to be anyone of Parise, Carter, Staal, Perry, Seabrook 5-10 years post draft.

Getzlaf, Bergeron, Kessler, Pavelski, Byfuglien & Weber are the only ones who seem to have withstood the test of time without a significant drop off in performance.

That’s the beauty of drafting a player. So who was the best player to come out of the generational 2003 draft class, 15-years removed now?

It used to be anyone of Parise, Carter, Staal, Perry 5-10 years post draft.

Getzlaf, Bergeron, Pavelski, Byfuglien & Weber are the only ones who seem to have withstood the test of time.

I look at it this way: knowing what you know now (15 years post-draft), who would you have drafted top 3 in 2003 ?

I'd go Bergeron-Getzlaf-Weber (in no particular order).....with Perry-Carter not far behind

Of course, Count would have picked AKos #1.....

Back