• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox

Doug and Jake should check out the engineering library at Centennial Campus. Not a lot of stacks to browse (need regular libraries for that) but it's a totally cool space, or set of spaces.

Interesting take-away from an associated article ... apparently Peters plans to play Lindy on Johnny Hockey's line and plans to pair Hanifin with the enigmatic Hamonic.

Umm ... good luck with that. Lindy will at least hold his own but pairing Hanifin with yet another guy he's going to have to cover for in his own end is a recipe for the exact same results you got pairing him with Faulk. I'm telling you, Hanifin is still a wonderful talent, but Bill Peters is going to keep screwing him up if not stopped.

A Calgary Sun writer was interviewed on XM. Said the issue with Hamilton is that he wasn’t upset enough by losing and therefore didn’t sacrifice enough to win. Said DH was the same all-smiles guy after a loss as he was after a win. That’s why he didn’t last in Calgary or Boston. O’Sullivan said he heard that the locker room had no issues with DH and his take was that this was probably a GM/press perception issue.

Same writer said that Fox has no interest playing for a team outside the NY area. Said he’ll be good enough to play out his college eligibility and sign as a UFA with the Islanders or Rangers and that he likely will do that and would never have played for the Flames and won’t play for the Canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Boston traded Hamilton, the report was he was unhappy the Bruins wouldn't sign his brother and was not a team kind of guy and that's why the trade. The other story was that Chiarelli had taken over as GM of Edmonton and was gunning to sign Hamilton to an offer sheet as the Bruins were limited by the cap and Hamilton wasn't interested in signing a bridge deal. Sweeney was a bit panicked and ended up trading Hamilton to Calgary for picks.

I think it becomes a leadership issue (management and locker room wise) if you can't it work with a player like Hamilton because he is the real deal.

When Boston traded Hamilton, the report was he was unhappy the Bruins wouldn't sign his brother and was not a team kind of guy and that's why the trade. The other story was that Chiarelli had taken over as GM of Edmonton and was gunning to sign Hamilton to an offer sheet as the Bruins were limited by the cap and Hamilton wasn't interested in signing a bridge deal. Sweeney was a bit panicked and ended up trading Hamilton to Calgary for picks.

I think it becomes a leadership issue (management and locker room wise) if you can't it work with a player like Hamilton because he is the real deal.

Yeah, my recollection was that he was basically a cap casualty in Boston.

A Calgary Sun writer was interviewed on XM. Said the issue with Hamilton is that he wasn’t upset enough by losing and therefore didn’t sacrifice enough to win. Said DH was the same all-smiles guy after a loss as he was after a win. That’s why he didn’t last in Calgary or Boston. O’Sullivan said he heard that the locker room had no issues with DH and his take was that this was probably a GM/press perception issue.

Same writer said that Fox has no interest playing for a team outside the NY area. Said he’ll be good enough to play out his college eligibility and sign as a UFA with the Islanders or Rangers and that he likely will do that and would never have played for the Flames and won’t play for the Canes.

History has shown the league as a whole is not always particularly kind to young players and agents that make the sort of unrealistic demands that the Fox tidbit above mentions. When you have 31 teams in a league and say you only want to play with 2-3 of them as a kid that has done nothing yet, it does not bode well for your future employment. Hopefully that writer is way off in his reporting.

Yes, he could and would still go to prospect camp. It's a chance to increase his stock for his future employer, whoever that may be.

If this kid's plan is really to play out his college career and become an entry level UFA that is fully within his rights and he won't be the first and last kid to play that game. Jimmy Vesey went to Nashville prospect camps, including the 2015 camp before his Senior year at Harvard. He was at their camp in 2014 as well.

Trust me, the Rangers, Devils and Islanders will not hold it against Fox if he does this and is a high end prospect. Sounds like the Canes have some begging to do or this kid is going to end up no more than a 3rd or 4th round pick of value to them, if they are lucky. I'm willing to believe he is going the Vesey route. His presence at our prospect camp means nothing unfortunately.

Last edited:

Grasping at straws at a PhD level.

A player can try to just wait out an NHL team, but sooner or later an asset has value. If the kid is dead set on a NY metro team, then trade his rights to one. Just don't end up with nothing.

While Canes fans won't like it, at this point there is not much upside to signing with Carolina unless it is a great deal for him. He has shown enough promise to command a good bidding war in another year and pick where he ends up. He will only sign in Carolina if he likes the area/organization and the Canes pay him. If he were my kids I would probably advise him to wait out the rights and pick his spot.

...at this point there is not much upside to signing with Carolina unless it is a great deal for him. He has shown enough promise to command a good bidding war in another year and pick where he ends up.

Its still an entry level deal no matter where he signs though. No team really has a financial advantage when it comes to entry level contracts so there is no bidding war to be had. Everything is capped on entry level deals...the AAV of the salary and signing bonus, the actual performance bonuses...everything. His max salary will be the same as any other entry level deal....$925k. Sure you can negotiate the entry level performance bonuses....those max out at $2,850,000 per, assuming you actually earn them. Those are not gimmies and the minimum performance is for each category is mandated in the CBA. And yes, Jimmy Vesey got the max entry level deal from the Rangers by doing exactly what Fox is supposedly looking to do. When Fox reaches his end game, all 3 of the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders will have the exact same contract offer on the table. The Canes are very unlikely to play that game and this kid is very unlikely to want to play for us. This is really a fools exercise for the Canes unless this kid has a change of heart. What are Canes really going to sell to this kid that the NY metro teams won't be able to? The best the Canes will be able to do is get the Devils or Rangers or Islanders to give us a 4th round pick so they can get a jumpstart on negotiations with Fox.

This isn't about the money really, there is a limit on what you can get. This is just about picking where you want to play. Gone are the days where kids could come in and ask for whatever they wanted. Thankfully the entry level system eliminates that. But this college loophole in the CBA allows these kids to basically force UFA status by playing out their college careers. It sucks.

Last edited:
Even without Fox, I like the deal. Let Elias try his laziness act in Calgary and if Hanifin ever becomes as good as Hamilton, well then we just upgraded without waiting.

why does the NHL let college players become a UFA after 4 years in school? Has that always been the case? Why not make them go back to the draft like junior players who don't sign . I know there are way more junior players than college kids.

Re: Fox

He better be danged good to have such a high opinion of himself as an undersized college defender who as far as I can tell hasn't proven jack squat yet.

Fox is good enough to have already created enough buzz to be able to successfully weasel his way out of draft rights and sign a contract wherever he wants in a couple of years. He may very well turn out to be the best player in this whole trade or he might end up not being good enough to stay in the NHL for his whole NHL entry level contract when he does sign with the Rangers. Its impossible to say at this point of course.

But I would say his chances of signing with the Canes are probably as good as his chances of signing with the Flames were. Now that he is OUR 'impossible to sign asset' we can hate on him on this board either until we trade his rights to some other team or until August 16th, 2020, which is when he will officially become a UFA and begin his courting of the NY metro teams if that is really the truth.

Until then, this kid gets to come to our prospects camps and show off his skills. Maybe Dundon can make friends with the kid and his family? That is probably our only hope of getting any real value out of him.

Last edited:
Back