• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox

I see this as a good deal for the Canes.

My worry is that they will go overboard and start doing too many trades after 4 years of no trades. I don't know if trading every guy who wants a better deal is good strategy in the long term. It may not be too popular with other players. We will see if this is a pattern or not soon.

I don’t think it’s a case of them wanting a better deal, it’s more like they wanted more than the team thought they were worth and would find it difficult to find middle ground.

From ESPN.com:

[h=2]Winner: the Hurricanes[/h]The Hurricanes promised to be active in reshaping their roster, and they delivered. Carolina unloaded two players who were proving difficult to re-sign, and in exchange added an established top-four defenseman (Dougie Hamilton), a stopgap, bottom-six forward (Micheal Ferland) and an elite defensive prospect (Adam Fox) who, if he signs, could be the face of the blue line for years to come.
GM Don Waddell has hinted that more moves still could come, but for now, Canes fans should feel better about the state of the roster.
[h=2]Loser: Dougie Hamilton[/h]For the second time in four years, Hamilton was shipped on draft weekend. And once again, the character assassins were out to rationalize why. (In an interview with Fan 960, Sportsnet's John Shannon said: "The whole team would go for lunch at Moxies, and Dougie Hamilton would go to the museum.")
That can't feel great for a defenseman who actually has played some great hockey of late, especially finding his way with Mark Giordano as a partner. We feel for Hamilton. We really do. Waddell says he plans on keeping him on the Canes' roster.

I don't understand the crack on Dougie Hamilton for wanting to go to a museum. We got some pretty good museums in the whole Triangle area, so Mr Hamilton can get his fill, and good for him.

Yeah ... I mean, State Capitals are great for that. Welcome to a new place to explore Dougie.

I think the issue is more not going along with the team for the lunch or other event. Nothing against museums . That's the way I see it.

I think the issue is more not going along with the team for the lunch or other event. Nothing against museums . That's the way I see it.

Yeah. I get that. But as pointed out, that's a ridiculous take. Not everybody on a team has to be a "let's go to the bar" kind of guy. That's just not how life works.

Yeah. I get that. But as pointed out, that's a ridiculous take. Not everybody on a team has to be a "let's go to the bar" kind of guy. That's just not how life works.

Based on what little I know personally about Slavin, I would bet that his personality is pretty close to Hamilton’s

we have museums but nothing like DC, New York, Chicago, etc. Of course not many cities can match those places for museums. Seems like most players are more fond of seeing live naked women , rather than old paintings of them. :)

Based on what little I know personally about Slavin, I would bet that his personality is pretty close to Hamilton’s

Completely correct. And look ... Cam Ward has been Carolina's unofficial captain for years and he's hardly a hang out at the bar with the boys kind of guy. Neither was Francis for that matter and nobody denigrates his leadership qualities. Bottom line ... that's just a comment from some chump reaching for straws to explain why a decent player got traded twice in relatively short order. Real answer ... stuff happens.

I was told Laviolette went to a restaurant after every home game but don't know if the players went too, probably not. They probably had a different place to hang out after games without coaches.

I ran into Jaccob and his wife a coupla weeks ago and we had a neat 20 min. conversation. Oh, would I love to do that now, after this.

I think the ESPN slam was more on the Canes than Dougie:
"We feel for Hamilton. We really do. Waddell says he plans on keeping him on the Canes' roster."
(A$$H0LE!)

Yeah, spending his winters in Raleigh instead of Calgary is gonna be rough. Poor Dougie. :rolleyes(2):

"We feel for Hamilton. We really do. Waddell says he plans on keeping him on the Canes' roster."

OK. This came from ESPN?

If so, then this kind of horsecrap is what's making them the World Leader in lost customers. And for you old timers, the thing with ESPN and the Canes is NOT about Hartford anymore. That was the 90s. Almost all of those guys have either moved on or just don't care anymore. This is about the pervasive "sports bro" garbage that passes for their output these days.

I ran into Jaccob and his wife a coupla weeks ago and we had a neat 20 min. conversation. Oh, would I love to do that now, after this.

I also had a chance to have a chat with Jacob at a charity function not too long ago. Just a delightful young man. I'm guessing he's super happy at the thought of Carolina making him a part of a REAL first pairing.

OK. This came from ESPN?

If so, then this kind of horsecrap is what's making them the World Leader in lost customers. And for you old timers, the thing with ESPN and the Canes is NOT about Hartford anymore. That was the 90s. Almost all of those guys have either moved on or just don't care anymore. This is about the pervasive "sports bro" garbage that passes for their output these days.

I see that this article is co-written by Greg Wyshynski. Hasn't he always had a stiffy for throwing shade at our Hurricanes? Like, has he ever written a compliment of the Hurricanes without the back of his hand being involved?

Back