• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox

Lindholm had filed for arbitration. That’s a huge contract if he gets that from Calgary and the contract of a guy who’s being overpaid. Treliving is buying potential, but potential is only worth something if it’s used. Good for you, Lindy!

Last edited:
Yeah ... not so much the annual cost, which isn't terrible, but FIVE years. Woof. Lindy really should be on a "prove it to me" contract at this point, but Calgary just basically said that what you've done the last three years ... that's fine. Guess what you'll get out of him going forward. Exactly what he's done the last three years.

After 374 games it is a bit of a strain to be talking about potential.

He's always had more assists than goals, especially pre-NHL. So maybe some of his sweet passes convert to goals with better line mates than stone hands Staal. But has never even gotten close to cracking 20 goals peaking at 17 in '14-'15 and 16 last season.

So if he somehow turns into a 50-point player (45 and 44 last two seasons), which is what that salary seems to be predicting, then it's going to probably be on the assist side, not the goal side of that equation.

Can play PK adequately and take face offs. But no physicality or PP potential.

Only way $5M/yr will look good is due to the seemingly endless upward spiral of the cap and salaries chasing it. Certainly not a bargain now.

Last edited:
Sweet jeezus! Treliving is having a Ron Francis moment! But if Peters had used Lindy better, more centering Skinner and a better RW it might well have been 50+ points on mainly assists and we wouldn't be havin' all the angst we're dealing with.

If BP coaches in Calgary like he did here, he and Tre will be run out of town within two years!

Sweet jeezus! Treliving is having a Ron Francis moment! But if Peters had used Lindy better, more centering Skinner and a better RW it might well have been 50+ points on mainly assists and we wouldn't be havin' all the angst we're dealing with.

If BP coaches in Calgary like he did here, he and Tre will be run out of town within two years!

Lindy did spend virtually the entirely of 2016-17 centering Skinner and a then relatively engaged Stempniak. Still went for 45 points.

Read a lengthy article (which unfortunately did not bookmark/fave) about how the Flames had no reliable right-handed faceoff options last season with citations by their GM and others of specific game situations where that cost them heavily.

So point of emphasis this off-season to remedy that deficiency. Hence the acquisition of both Lindholm and Ryan, both righties with winning face-off stats.

Method in the madness.

So, this sounds like a trade in which both parties got pretty much what they needed. Good for the 'Canes and good for the Flames.

Read a lengthy article (which unfortunately did not bookmark/fave) about how the Flames had no reliable right-handed faceoff options last season with citations by their GM and others of specific game situations where that cost them heavily.

So point of emphasis this off-season to remedy that deficiency. Hence the acquisition of both Lindholm and Ryan, both righties with winning face-off stats.

Method in the madness.

I still wonder how the Flames fans and many media types think they acquired this sure fire center in Lindholm when in reality he is more of a winger than a center. He has very limited NHL games played at center in the grand scheme of things. He would be a fine winger with a guy like Monahan playing center, but I just dont see Lindholm as a viable option at center unless he is used in a bottom 6 role at that position.

Peters will no doubt use him paired with a left-shot center so he has both circles covered on one line.

Same fate Lindholm suffered here under Peters.

Method in the madness.

There's always a method, otherwise it's pure madness and not many owners put up with that very long. That said, I sense the same issue in Calgary that we've struggled with here for decades ... a lack of detailed and accurate pro scouting. Otherwise you'd know that while you're getting two decent righty face-off guys in Lindy and Ryan, they both struggle mightily with various other aspects of actually playing the center position. And we all know that face-offs are but a small part of the job requirements. Ryan is hopeless in his own zone against guys of even average size and strength and Lindy loses a ton of his offensive pop when he plays center. I wish both guys well, but for my money the Fames sound increasingly desperate to justify that trade as time goes on.

Back