• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Trade Lindholm and Hanifin for Hamilton, Ferland and Fox

OK ... so that's kind of a like for like trade with Carolina also getting Fox to make up for the difference in upside between Hanifin (basically unlimited if he ever gets his head engaged) and Hamilton (basically a fully baked pie). Hamilton is big, decisive and has been productive with 40 plus points in all of the last 4 seasons. He's legit and at 25 he's still got mileage on the tires. Ferland is kind of a late bloomer, but he does pretty much the same stuff that Lindy did for us without requiring $5 million a year to continue to do those things. Fine. He's useful. I hesitate to mention it, but my only concern with him is his history of substance abuse. Presumably we got comfortable with that aspect of the deal.

Fox ... smallish offensive minded defenseman who appears to be headed back to Harvard for his sophomore (or junior?) year. Fine. At least he's a bit different than the other D prospects we have in the system.

Hard to be critical of this one. We upgraded at D in the short term, probably broke even at forward and managed to avoid big paychecks for two guys who have frankly not earned big paychecks.

Last edited:
Word on the street is Fox told Calgary that he won’t sign with them. They had to move him.

I like this deal for both sides, a real hockey trade.

Wonder how Lindy and Hanifin feel about a reunion with Bill Peters, given the relationship our coach seemed to have with the room near the end.

I think this is a very good deal. In the short run, Hamilton gives us more experience and goal-scoring from the defense and Ferland addresses some of our need for scoring. Fox is an intriguing prospect and a nice add-in on the deal.

I have yet to sort through the financial aspects of the deal, but from a hockey perspective, Don Waddell & Company’s first significant deal is a solid one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamilton and Slavin paired? That won’t suck, unless you’re the opponent’s top line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamilton and Slavin paired? That won’t suck, unless you’re the opponent’s top line.

Hamilton and Slavin does seem like a legit top pairing! Both Hanafin and Lindholm are looking for big, shiny new deals so this trade makes sense for the Canes.

I think this is a very good deal. In the short run, Hamilton gives us more experience and goal-scoring from the defense and Ferland addresses some of our need for scoring. Fox is an intriguing prospect and a nice add-in on the deal.

I have yet to sort through the financial aspects of the deal, but from a hockey perspective, Don Waddell & Company’s first significant deal is a solid one!

Hamilton is signed for 3 years at $5.75 million AAV; $5.75 million actual in 18-19, $6 million actual the next 2. Ferland is signed for 1 year at $1.75 million.

Word on the street is Fox told Calgary that he won’t sign with them. They had to move him.

I like this deal for both sides, a real hockey trade.

I've heard more than once, that Hanifin has no intentions of resigning here. And today, as is, Lindholm is not a 4-5million dollar player.

We had 2 major issues going into this off season... center and goaltending. This was a nice deal, but it does nothing odor our major problems.

I liked hanafins talent, but always questioned his hockey sense. Lindholm's compete level was already in flux

We had 2 major issues going into this off season... center and goaltending. This was a nice deal, but it does nothing odor our major problems.

You’re absolutely right, but this makes us a better team. It’s only the first of what I hope will be additional moves.

True as far as it goes, but one of Carolina's strong secondary problems was going to be figuring out how to sign both Hanifin and Lindholm to reasonable contracts. Sounds like Lindy dug in his heels on a budget friendly deal and that Hanifin was going to play it cute as well. See ya, on both counts. Neither one of them earned much of anything last season. This way we get a real gem in Dougie Hamilton and a hustler in Ferland to replace a guy who MIGHT be a gem down the road (Hanifin) and a guy who couldn't hustle his way out of a wet paper bag, especially if it's not US Thanksgiving yet (Lindholm).

I've said before ... the only risk in this deal is that Hanifin eventually starts to listen to coaching and fulfills his massive potential. He's got absolutely every tool you need to be a Norris Trophy level defenseman. I'm not at all sure that was going to happen here, but that doesn't mean it won't happen somewhere else ... Peters or no Peters.

Obviously a deal like that doesn't happen with GM RF in charge.

So that is a lot of potential to trade for an upper level Dman, a 2nd/3rd line winger, and an undersized Dman prospect. But of course this deal is just one of several sizable changes coming, so its hard to critique just this deal alone until we see what the return is with the almost certain to happen now Justin Faulk deal, the Skinner trade, and how that current LD hole gets filled. This was a pretty big opening salvo for the major rework, but until I see the rest of the trades I'm reserving judgement for now.

I will say that my initial reaction was "crap, that sounds like a bad trade the Whalers would have made back in the day". But there is so much more to do now that this deal is done so its too soon for me to know how this fits with the next move ...

Last edited:
I was in a movie theater (watching "The Rider" - check it out, it's great!) and when I turned on my phone, it went crazy with texts about this deal. After thinking about it, I'm OK with the trade. I hate to kiss a #4 draft pick goodbye, but like the rest of you, I've been really upset with some of Hanifin's boneheaded moves. He got more solid as the season progressed, but I think we have a known entity with Hamilton, who can make our team better. Right-handed shot. So where will Justin Faulk fit in? Probably not here in Carolina.

Lindholm was another puzzler. He did a lot of things well, but nothing spectacular. I don't think he's worth throwing the kind of money he apparently thinks he's earned. Good luck in Calgary. I know Peters loved the kid.

From ESPN.com:

[h=2]Winner: the Hurricanes[/h]The Hurricanes promised to be active in reshaping their roster, and they delivered. Carolina unloaded two players who were proving difficult to re-sign, and in exchange added an established top-four defenseman (Dougie Hamilton), a stopgap, bottom-six forward (Micheal Ferland) and an elite defensive prospect (Adam Fox) who, if he signs, could be the face of the blue line for years to come.
GM Don Waddell has hinted that more moves still could come, but for now, Canes fans should feel better about the state of the roster.
[h=2]Loser: Dougie Hamilton[/h]For the second time in four years, Hamilton was shipped on draft weekend. And once again, the character assassins were out to rationalize why. (In an interview with Fan 960, Sportsnet's John Shannon said: "The whole team would go for lunch at Moxies, and Dougie Hamilton would go to the museum.")
That can't feel great for a defenseman who actually has played some great hockey of late, especially finding his way with Mark Giordano as a partner. We feel for Hamilton. We really do. Waddell says he plans on keeping him on the Canes' roster.

I don't understand the crack on Dougie Hamilton for wanting to go to a museum. We got some pretty good museums in the whole Triangle area, so Mr Hamilton can get his fill, and good for him.

I'm thrilled to get Hamilton and I'll bet that Ferland fits on the War Chief's style of play. Hanafin and Lindholm both needed to amp up their intensity in my view. Thanks for what they provided & good luck in Calgary.

Jim

Obviously a deal like that doesn't happen with GM RF in charge.

So that is a lot of potential to trade for an upper level Dman, a 2nd/3rd line winger, and an undersized Dman prospect. But of course this deal is just one of several sizable changes coming, so its hard to critique just this deal alone until we see what the return is with the almost certain to happen now Justin Faulk deal, the Skinner trade, and how that current LD hole gets filled. This was a pretty big opening salvo for the major rework, but until I see the rest of the trades I'm reserving judgement for now.

I will say that my initial reaction was "crap, that sounds like a bad trade the Whalers would have made back in the day". But there is so much more to do now that this deal is done so its too soon for me to know how this fits with the next move ...

Undersized Dman prospect where the latest draft had a run on them in round 1! I’ve watched Fox play a handful of times and the kid may end up being the best player in this whole trade when all the dust settles down the road.

Back