• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Team Marketing Ideas

NoMich

Alright, so Dougie Hamilton is now a Carolina Hurricane and some petty sports writer somewhere tried to knock him as a non-team kinda guy that would rather hit a museum than join teammates at some local lunch joint. The writer was making up some BS about about Mr Hamilton, but that's OK, we can use this to our advantage in marketing the new guy in town and the team in general.

- The local museums need to pay Mr Hamilton to star in a series of commercials promoting their institutions and the newest exhibits/features.

- The team itself needs to make a series of commercials of all of them hanging out together at all of the local museums.

Come on folks! Times a wastin', gotta get on this while the iron's hot! Or however that saying goes.

I agree. This is fun stuff and it could really get the fans to rally around him. Think Commie and his bathrobe. Of course Dougie has to want to do it. Some players just aren't made for show business.

Looks like they're focused on promoting the crap out of Svechnikov at the moment. I really hope they don't put too much pressure in this kid to be the savior.

I agree that I'm worried about the pressure on Svech (see my prior posts about the consequences of trading SKinner and magically finding his 30 goals elsewhere plus the 30 more goals we need to be a real playoff contender). '

The thing is though, this kid really IS the savior. He almost has to be. The unfortunate reality of our situation is that this kid is going to need to step right in and put up at least 50 points....right away (if not more). There is every indication at the moment that Svechnikov is one of those rare talents that will be fully capable of doing that. His tape shows him doing things on the ice that not a single other player in the Canes organization, including Aho, are capable of doing. His ability to power or accelerate around Dmen and to shift lanes suddenly before you can even blink to open up scoring opportunities are things that only elite level talents do. Now he has done all of that against kids his own age so far, so its not 100% clear if he can simply do that at the NHL level, but the expectation is that he will.

Eric Staal was sheltered during his 18 year old season and kind of stunningly emerged as a superstar as a 20 year old (his offense was way beyond what was expected that Cup season, remember he was the 'safe 2 way forward pick' when we drafted him). The Canes are so starved for elite level offensive talent that they cannot really afford to shelter Svechnikov much this coming season. Our big new savior for our struggling goal scoring for this coming season? That is Svechnikov. That will become even more apparent when Skinner is traded without any real other goal scoring solution replacing him.

Dundon has very clearly indicated he feels that the players are what we should be selling. Its going to be a heavy dose of Aho and Svechnikov, as our most dynamic young players. I fully share your concerns Kahuna. Svech is going to have a lot of pressure to produce from day 1 as the Canes are not likely to have much of a backup plan for improved goal scoring, especially once Skinner is traded. He is going to be elevated to 'face of the franchise' with Aho right away, even without having played a game.

Seriously though, who would you rather use to try to sell tickets? The kid who is Marian Hossa or Gordie Howe or Alex Ovechkin depending on whose over the top scouting report you read or the 6'6" Dman with the big slap shot who likes to go to museums? We were damn lucky to be able to draft this kid and the marketing team is going to be cashing in on that luck all offseason. Hopefully the kid can stay focused and live up to the hype because the weight of this franchise is going to be on his 18 year old shoulders, risky as that may be.

I'm not sure what Hamilton's sense of humor is like, but I think something involving his alleged love of museums will only be effective as a tweet picture after the Canes make the playoffs and the Flames don't (similar to Kessel filling the Cup with hot dogs). Patrick O'Sullivan stated that there was no issues at all with Hamilton in the room, only the GM seemed to have a problem with Hamilton. If the worst thing about Hamilton is that he doesn't scowl or pout enough after losses that is a pretty ridiculous reason to look to move a player.

Last edited:
pressure here is not good on anybody , but it's way easier to be here than in Montreal, Toronto, NYC and other major markets. Remember we don't even have 1 full time newspaper guy to cover the team. We have a part time guy and a columnist who covers lots of stuff.

Time's a wasting, as they say. The NC Museum of Art's You Are Here installation closes soon, but it would be the PERFECT opportunity to gather some Canes for photogenic fun at one of our public museums. Not to mention, it's the perfect opportunity to take the piss out of some Canadian hockey media. Always a worthy effort.

That assumes Skinner is going out (which seems most likely) and that we don't make other moves to bring in scoring to replace that. We already brought in Hamilton. I would assume if Skinner is moved, or Skinner and Faulk, that we would be bringing in at least one forward to replace him, and I'd expect there to be some scoring to offset the loss of 53 - no?

It seems likely we have at least two more pieces going out - Skinner and Faulk.

It seems likely we have at least 3 more pieces coming in - Goalie, Left Handed D, Center.

It seems likely we have at least 3 more pieces coming in - Goalie, Left Handed D, Center.

Not sure about the Center. We have Staal, Aho, Necas and Rask at center (Wallmark too if you believe in him). Yeah, that is a pretty shaky crew and we really need another center, but I'm not very confident we are going to add anyone better than another 3rd or 4th line center.

The Faulk or Skinner trades will result in a solution at LD (hopefully, I like Carrick but as our 7th Dman, and Fleury gave no indication he is a top 4 guy (yet). But I really am not expecting any sort of 20+ goal 50+ point forward coming back for either of those 2 players. I do hope I'm wrong.

Not sure about the Center. We have Staal, Aho, Necas and Rask at center (Wallmark too if you believe in him). Yeah, that is a pretty shaky crew and we really need another center, but I'm not very confident we are going to add anyone better than a 3rd or 4th line center.

The Faulk or Skinner trades will result in a solution at LD, but otherwise I really am not expecting any sort of 20+ goal 50+ point forward coming back for either of those 2 players. I do hope I'm wrong.

I do too ... but once again when you point out uncomfortable possibilities I have a hard time arguing with you.

I suspect we call Necas our big move at center and go into next season with whatever we've already got down the middle. I think that's a mistake, but for whatever reason this franchise seems unable or unwilling to see their own weaknesses even through multiple regimes.

It was just a fun li'l thought exercise. I know it won't happen, but it's fun to spitball ideas.

from the Canes twitter:

Be a part of Andrei Svechnikov's rookie season!

In honor of our new #37, the first 37 people who buy new full season ticket plans will receive an autographed Andrei Svechnikov puck!

.... Patrick O'Sullivan stated that there was no issues at all with Hamilton in the room, only the GM seemed to have a problem with Hamilton. If the worst thing about Hamilton is that he doesn't scowl or pout enough after losses that is a pretty ridiculous reason to look to move a player.

Just for context, this is also the same GM that thought is was a coup to steal Bill Peters. There are clearly some questionable things happening in Calgary.

Back