Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 516

Thread: Free Agent Thread 2018

  1. #481
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    52,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    It is, until you realize he's never playing against the top pairing or top shutdown lines.

    There's a reason he didn't, those top defenders were out to try stopping Tavares.
    Yeah, I brought that up, he won’t have that shelter but I don’t see the drop off being as drastic as Jack Burton is stating.
    Go Habs Go!

  2. #482
    Legend JackBurton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    37,865
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    What you say is definitely a possibility but like it or not Barzal is a phenomenal young player, 85 points as a rookie is pretty amazing.
    I agree. I also think it was a fantastic situation to be in that other young players don't get. Trotz is going to completely overhaul the system.

  3. #483
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Not for a second. I bet they wish that they hadn't spun their wheels with incompetent management ruining their opportunity to win. Or, that they had signed him for longer term at a higher AAV. Or even, that they had traded him for something in return.

    Tampa Bay probably could have gotten Kucherov at +/- $6M for 8 years. Instead, they got him for three cheaper years only to have to break the bank to him once he broke out.

    Bridge contracts simply do not work for elite talent. The math doesn't add up.
    The overall cash payouts for bridging and non isn't that much different over the long haul . Kucherov and Scheiffle as examples may not have been elite years ago when their contracts were up , but were trending upwards .

    They along with PK are locked up for their prime years til 32-33. That's an ideal age to have your stars locked up . By then if you haven't won anything it's easier to walk away or trade than trying to move a player washed up at 36 on an albatross deal .

    The thing is that third contract at 9ish now might be 10-11 mil for 8 years taking them into decline years , so their AAV over a career isn't much different.

    The other thing is a bridge may help your team by having staggered contracts over numerous players . Giving Kucherov his 8 years now instead of 3 years ago ,starts his clock 3 years later.

    So now Stammer , Hedman , Kucherov , TJ and others aren't heading into contract renewal all at once in their late 20's

    All in all I don't see a gloom and doom scenario . The Leafs may do it with Nylander this summer and deal with it later

  4. #484
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    It is, until you realize he's never playing against the top pairing or top shutdown lines.

    There's a reason he didn't, those top defenders were out to try stopping Tavares.
    if teams did not adjust by the end of the year there is something wrong with them

    but agreed there is nobody there to spread the tough matchups too
    ...

  5. #485
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    43,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GGpX View Post
    Not for a second. I bet they wish that they hadn't spun their wheels with incompetent management ruining their opportunity to win. Or, that they had signed him for longer term at a higher AAV. Or even, that they had traded him for something in return.

    Tampa Bay probably could have gotten Kucherov at +/- $6M for 8 years. Instead, they got him for three cheaper years only to have to break the bank to him once he broke out.

    Bridge contracts simply do not work for elite talent. The math doesn't add up.
    Overall I agree with you but I still think there are pros and cons.

    In the case of Kucherov, first, given that his bridge deal was 4.77M, there is no way he would have settled for 6x8, but probably 7x8 would have been settled.

    Using those numbers:

    With bridge deal

    • Locked up for 11 years before reaching UFA
    • Locked up until he's 34
    • Save about 2.3M the first 3 years
    • Overpay by 2.5M the next 5 years


    Without bridge deal

    • Locked up for 8 years before reaching UFA
    • Locked up until he's 30
    • Overpay by about 2.3M the first 3 years
    • Save 2.5M the next 5 years


    The 5 prime years of saving here is key, versus locking up your star longer while he's in his prime.
    Without the bridge you face a big dilemma when the contract expire. The player is still in his prime but just about to enter his declining years. Smart money is on letting him go and let another team overpay and make that mistake, bu then you're also missing out on some good years from the player.

    I think if you have a bunch of young players hitting their prime at the same time, of star players already eating a lot of your cap space, not doing the bridge deal is smarter. If your team is lacking in stars, or you have a hard time retaining or attracting star players, maybe the optics of locking up you guy for an additional 3 years is worth it to you.

  6. #486
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    A truly elite player (not Toews) would probably be better off signing 3-4 year deals.

    Today's $10m is tomorrow's $12m.
    ...

  7. #487
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    43,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    A truly elite player (not Toews) would probably be better off signing 3-4 year deals.

    Today's $10m is tomorrow's $12m.
    Yes, but the guaranteed money of the long term contract is attractive.

  8. #488
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    A truly elite player (not Toews) would probably be better off signing 3-4 year deals.

    Today's $10m is tomorrow's $12m.
    Thats where the league will be heading in the next lockout /CBA ........shorter terms in the 4 year range

  9. #489
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Overall I agree with you but I still think there are pros and cons.

    In the case of Kucherov, first, given that his bridge deal was 4.77M, there is no way he would have settled for 6x8, but probably 7x8 would have been settled.

    Using those numbers:

    With bridge deal

    • Locked up for 11 years before reaching UFA
    • Locked up until he's 34
    • Save about 2.3M the first 3 years
    • Overpay by 2.5M the next 5 years


    Without bridge deal

    • Locked up for 8 years before reaching UFA
    • Locked up until he's 30
    • Overpay by about 2.3M the first 3 years
    • Save 2.5M the next 5 years


    The 5 prime years of saving here is key, versus locking up your star longer while he's in his prime.
    Without the bridge you face a big dilemma when the contract expire. The player is still in his prime but just about to enter his declining years. Smart money is on letting him go and let another team overpay and make that mistake, bu then you're also missing out on some good years from the player.

    I think if you have a bunch of young players hitting their prime at the same time, of star players already eating a lot of your cap space, not doing the bridge deal is smarter. If your team is lacking in stars, or you have a hard time retaining or attracting star players, maybe the optics of locking up you guy for an additional 3 years is worth it to you.
    Excellent post

    IMO if you have numerous young quality players all heading to their second contracts , the bridge isnt a bad idea to have some staggered deals and give you some roster flexibility .

    Lets take Buffalo as an example . Jack is locked up to 8 years while Risto took 6 . I would bridge Reinhart ( yes he isnt elite ) and take my chances later on .

    Barring a disaster Dahlin will be a stud and be paid huge after his ELC and Casey should be a bonefide top 6 .

    Having some bridge players extended on their third deal expiring at 32-33 is a major bonus for roster management .

    I will take PK`s deal any day of the week over Doughty

  10. #490
    Mod Squad hairnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    119,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    The Jets have signed Connor Hellebuyck to a six-year, $37 million extension... $6.167M AAV.

  11. #491
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    The Jets have signed Connor Hellebuyck to a six-year, $37 million extension... $6.167M AAV.
    wow ...nice moola for a one year performer

  12. #492
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Yes, but the guaranteed money of the long term contract is attractive.
    yep

    i can only think of hossa that didn't

    cannot remember any in their prime players that took short money (hossa was one year i think)
    ...

  13. #493
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    wow ...nice moola for a one year performer
    should have bridged him?
    ...

  14. #494
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    yep

    i can only think of hossa that didn't

    cannot remember any in their prime players that took short money (hossa was one year i think)
    Didnt Hossa already make a ton of money prior to his one year signing

  15. #495
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,414
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    should have bridged him?
    I would of given him 14/3 and see how it goes

  16. #496
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    Didnt Hossa already make a ton of money prior to his one year signing
    not really

    https://www.capfriendly.com/players/marian-hossa
    ...

  17. #497
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    43,324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    yep

    i can only think of hossa that didn't

    cannot remember any in their prime players that took short money (hossa was one year i think)
    Kariya as well.

  18. #498
    Mod Squad hairnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    119,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    The Golden Knights have signed Marc-Andre Fleury to a three-year, $21 million extension... $7M AAV.

    He has one year left on his contract at $5.75 million.

  19. #499
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    64,879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by hairnova View Post
    The Golden Knights have signed Marc-Andre Fleury to a three-year, $21 million extension... $7M AAV.

    He has one year left on his contract at $5.75 million.
    that does not seem like a good deal for the knights (i guess they are human after all)

    but maybe i am missing something
    ...

  20. #500
    Hall of Famer Exit716's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    4,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Free Agent Thread 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by GEEMAN View Post
    wow ...nice moola for a one year performer
    Kind of like rewarding a goalie for a great season three seasons ago?
    habsinsideout1 Dave Stubbs
    @exit716 Your Twitter avatar features the world's happiest dog, I swear
    Nov 23, 9:13 PM via TweetDeck

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •