• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2018

Bridge deals make so much sense for elite talent, don't they?

They do on handing out that third contract in some instances .

Pk has the best star contract bar none in hockey with term . Locked up til 33 in his entire prime baring injury.

EK, Doughty , and countless others extended to 8 years at 28-29 will have about 3 bad years of cap

Bridge deals does allow you to lock up your players for their whole prime years at a fair price, but you pay a bit more for about 4-5 years in the middle of their prime.

I bet the Islanders wished they had bridged Tavares.

They do on handing out that third contract in some instances .

Pk has the best star contract bar none in hockey with term . Locked up til 33 in his entire prime baring injury.

EK, Doughty , and countless others extended to 8 years at 28-29 will have about 3 bad years of cap

Doughty has never had the stats to justify being a top 5 dmen in terms of $$$

He’s a great dmen, but at his age, with the miles he has on that body, 11M is about 2M too much for what he will bring. It’s gonna be similar to Toews....

The fact Doughty will probably make as much as EK is ridiculous...Doughty is not in the same group as EK in terms of production and overall contribution

He’s a great dmen, but at his age, with the miles he has on that body, 11M is about 2M too much for what he will bring. It’s gonna be similar to Toews....

The fact Doughty will probably make as much as EK is ridiculous...Doughty is not in the same group as EK in terms of production and overall contribution

Its not the $ Rolex ...its the 8 year term

Doughty is easily a top 5 dmen in the league. Hell he's been nominated 3 times in the last 4 years for the Norris, winning it once and finishing 2nd twice.

I agree he is quite overrated but last year was probably his best year.

He just does not put up the offense to be a top 5 dman for me.

3 top 2 finish in the Norris race in the past 4 years is enough to convinced me.

He spends about between 27 and 30 mins per game on the ice, very much controlling the play when he's there.

Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, Subban and Burns are my top 5 at the moment.

Seth Jones is slowly but surely installing himself as one of the top dmen in the NHL

Barzal is going to be better than Tavares as early as next year

Barzal is the best candidate to have a massive regression. He won't have a sheltered role, will play with crap, and Trotz will actually make that team play D. Tavares will easily produce more than him having Marner with him.
That team just played no D last year.

Barzal is the best candidate to have a massive regression. He won't have a sheltered role, will play with crap, and Trotz will actually make that team play D. Tavares will easily produce more than him having Marner with him.

What you say is definitely a possibility but like it or not Barzal is a phenomenal young player, 85 points as a rookie is pretty amazing.

I dont see a drop off at all. Their top 6 has legit talent and he will headline the top line and get tons of pp time .

This isnt WK in Vegas with an insane shooting percentage .

He has elite speed and passing skills .

Bridge deals does allow you to lock up your players for their whole prime years at a fair price, but you pay a bit more for about 4-5 years in the middle of their prime.

I bet the Islanders wished they had bridged Tavares.

Not for a second. I bet they wish that they hadn't spun their wheels with incompetent management ruining their opportunity to win. Or, that they had signed him for longer term at a higher AAV. Or even, that they had traded him for something in return.

Tampa Bay probably could have gotten Kucherov at +/- $6M for 8 years. Instead, they got him for three cheaper years only to have to break the bank to him once he broke out.

Bridge contracts simply do not work for elite talent. The math doesn't add up.

What you say is definitely a possibility but like it or not Barzal is a phenomenal young player, 85 points as a rookie is pretty amazing.

It is, until you realize he's never playing against the top pairing or top shutdown lines.

There's a reason he didn't, those top defenders were out to try stopping Tavares.

I dont see a drop off at all. Their top 6 has legit talent and he will headline the top line and get tons of pp time .

This isnt WK in Vegas with an insane shooting percentage .

He has elite speed and passing skills .

Yeah, he’s sensational in every sense, his speed is just off the charts.

I also did mention the fact he he will not have the shelter of Tavares in my innitial post and it may be an issue but not to the extent that people may think when you have that skill set.

Needless to say the Isles are freaking lucky to have this kid

Back