• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2018

It is, until you realize he's never playing against the top pairing or top shutdown lines.

There's a reason he didn't, those top defenders were out to try stopping Tavares.

Yeah, I brought that up, he won’t have that shelter but I don’t see the drop off being as drastic as Jack Burton is stating.

What you say is definitely a possibility but like it or not Barzal is a phenomenal young player, 85 points as a rookie is pretty amazing.

I agree. I also think it was a fantastic situation to be in that other young players don't get. Trotz is going to completely overhaul the system.

Not for a second. I bet they wish that they hadn't spun their wheels with incompetent management ruining their opportunity to win. Or, that they had signed him for longer term at a higher AAV. Or even, that they had traded him for something in return.

Tampa Bay probably could have gotten Kucherov at +/- $6M for 8 years. Instead, they got him for three cheaper years only to have to break the bank to him once he broke out.

Bridge contracts simply do not work for elite talent. The math doesn't add up.

The overall cash payouts for bridging and non isn't that much different over the long haul . Kucherov and Scheiffle as examples may not have been elite years ago when their contracts were up , but were trending upwards .

They along with PK are locked up for their prime years til 32-33. That's an ideal age to have your stars locked up . By then if you haven't won anything it's easier to walk away or trade than trying to move a player washed up at 36 on an albatross deal .

The thing is that third contract at 9ish now might be 10-11 mil for 8 years taking them into decline years , so their AAV over a career isn't much different.

The other thing is a bridge may help your team by having staggered contracts over numerous players . Giving Kucherov his 8 years now instead of 3 years ago ,starts his clock 3 years later.

So now Stammer , Hedman , Kucherov , TJ and others aren't heading into contract renewal all at once in their late 20's

All in all I don't see a gloom and doom scenario . The Leafs may do it with Nylander this summer and deal with it later

It is, until you realize he's never playing against the top pairing or top shutdown lines.

There's a reason he didn't, those top defenders were out to try stopping Tavares.

if teams did not adjust by the end of the year there is something wrong with them

but agreed there is nobody there to spread the tough matchups too

Not for a second. I bet they wish that they hadn't spun their wheels with incompetent management ruining their opportunity to win. Or, that they had signed him for longer term at a higher AAV. Or even, that they had traded him for something in return.

Tampa Bay probably could have gotten Kucherov at +/- $6M for 8 years. Instead, they got him for three cheaper years only to have to break the bank to him once he broke out.

Bridge contracts simply do not work for elite talent. The math doesn't add up.

Overall I agree with you but I still think there are pros and cons.

In the case of Kucherov, first, given that his bridge deal was 4.77M, there is no way he would have settled for 6x8, but probably 7x8 would have been settled.

Using those numbers:

With bridge deal

• Locked up for 11 years before reaching UFA
  • Locked up until he's 34
  • Save about 2.3M the first 3 years
  • Overpay by 2.5M the next 5 years

Without bridge deal

• Locked up for 8 years before reaching UFA
  • Locked up until he's 30
  • Overpay by about 2.3M the first 3 years
  • Save 2.5M the next 5 years

The 5 prime years of saving here is key, versus locking up your star longer while he's in his prime.
Without the bridge you face a big dilemma when the contract expire. The player is still in his prime but just about to enter his declining years. Smart money is on letting him go and let another team overpay and make that mistake, bu then you're also missing out on some good years from the player.

I think if you have a bunch of young players hitting their prime at the same time, of star players already eating a lot of your cap space, not doing the bridge deal is smarter. If your team is lacking in stars, or you have a hard time retaining or attracting star players, maybe the optics of locking up you guy for an additional 3 years is worth it to you.

A truly elite player (not Toews) would probably be better off signing 3-4 year deals.

Today's $10m is tomorrow's $12m.

A truly elite player (not Toews) would probably be better off signing 3-4 year deals.

Today's $10m is tomorrow's $12m.

Thats where the league will be heading in the next lockout /CBA ........shorter terms in the 4 year range

Overall I agree with you but I still think there are pros and cons.

In the case of Kucherov, first, given that his bridge deal was 4.77M, there is no way he would have settled for 6x8, but probably 7x8 would have been settled.

Using those numbers:

With bridge deal

• Locked up for 11 years before reaching UFA
  • Locked up until he's 34
  • Save about 2.3M the first 3 years
  • Overpay by 2.5M the next 5 years

Without bridge deal

• Locked up for 8 years before reaching UFA
  • Locked up until he's 30
  • Overpay by about 2.3M the first 3 years
  • Save 2.5M the next 5 years

The 5 prime years of saving here is key, versus locking up your star longer while he's in his prime.
Without the bridge you face a big dilemma when the contract expire. The player is still in his prime but just about to enter his declining years. Smart money is on letting him go and let another team overpay and make that mistake, bu then you're also missing out on some good years from the player.

I think if you have a bunch of young players hitting their prime at the same time, of star players already eating a lot of your cap space, not doing the bridge deal is smarter. If your team is lacking in stars, or you have a hard time retaining or attracting star players, maybe the optics of locking up you guy for an additional 3 years is worth it to you.

Excellent post

IMO if you have numerous young quality players all heading to their second contracts , the bridge isnt a bad idea to have some staggered deals and give you some roster flexibility .

Lets take Buffalo as an example . Jack is locked up to 8 years while Risto took 6 . I would bridge Reinhart ( yes he isnt elite ) and take my chances later on .

Barring a disaster Dahlin will be a stud and be paid huge after his ELC and Casey should be a bonefide top 6 .

Having some bridge players extended on their third deal expiring at 32-33 is a major bonus for roster management .

I will take PK`s deal any day of the week over Doughty

The Golden Knights have signed Marc-Andre Fleury to a three-year, $21 million extension... $7M AAV.

He has one year left on his contract at $5.75 million.

The Golden Knights have signed Marc-Andre Fleury to a three-year, $21 million extension... $7M AAV.

He has one year left on his contract at $5.75 million.

that does not seem like a good deal for the knights (i guess they are human after all)

but maybe i am missing something

Back