• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 Free Agent Frenzy

For those of us jealous of Toronto's center and forward combinations (I am!), take some solace that Ron Hainsey is still considered a Top 4 D in Toronto. They better hope the youth on D takes a step up this year!

Derek Ryan to the Flames 3 years, $3.125 million AAV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley Nash to Columbus, 3 years/$2.75 million AAV

Jay Beagle to Vancouver, 4 years/$3 million AAV

Leo Komarov to the Isles, 4 years/$3 million AAV

Matt Cullen’s last year with Minnesota wasn’t his last year after all. Pens sign him for 1 year/$650k.

JVR to the Flyers, 5 years/$7 million AAV.

Jonathan Bernier to the Red Wings, 3 years/$3 million AAV

James Neal to Calgary, 5 years/$5.75 million AAV.

The more I see the deals made in free agency, the more I like Dundon getting involved in the negotiations for Lindholm. Bozak signed for $4.2 million per year, James Neal $5.75 ( VGK offered $5million for 5). Lindholm standing firm at $5million per year-- he was obvioulsy overinflating his value. Read somewhere that Lindholm was unhappy with the trade and was surprised at how things turned so quickly.

Too bad for Lindholm. His agent did him a big disservice if Lindholm really wanted to stay here, but that might not be completely the agent's fault. The fact we hired a former agent to be involved in contracts should have been a message to all Canes players agents that we are not rolling over on overinflated salary and term demands.

Message sent, sorry Elias. You would still be here if your agent took 4 years $4.3 AAV I suspect. Sounds like Elias might want to get more involved with what his agent is doing.

The really sucky part if Lindholm really wanted to stay? He's probably going to end up settling for somewhere around the Canes 'best final offer' with Calgary. All his agent accomplished by playing hardball and posturing is getting Elias shipped to Calgary I suspect.

Last edited:
I don't feel a bit sorry for Elias, mainly due to the Canes coming out WAY ahead on that trade. Hamilton is a stud defensemen.

All players should take a lesson from that example and get more involved in their negotiations ,if they want to stay/play in a city. I can guarantee you Tavares's agent wouldn't have signed a deal for $11M per, with $13M per on the table in multiple places, without the players direct instruction.

I kinda wish the Canes jumped on the James Neal deal that Calgary signed. $5.75M per is reasonable and could have made Skinner fully expendable in an upcoming trade. The Canes missed one here if the goal is to improve this team in both the short and long term.

Back