• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Petr Mrazek

Sounds about right for the Canes on UFA day. Sign a backup goalie, call it a day.

If you are keeping score at home, here is where we are at the moment:

Zykov-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Staal-Williams
Skinner-Necas-Svechnikov
Martinook-Rask-Ferland

Of course those lines could have all kinds of adjustments from what I show there.

DiGuiseppi and Wallmark are your extras (remember, Wallmark is not waivers exempt anymore...he MIGHT be able to sneak through waivers, but maybe not)

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-TVR
Carrick

Pesce on his off side because we created an imbalance with the big trade, apparently thinking that teams would be falling all over themselves to give us a great return for Justin Faulk. Apparently that hasn't happened yet. I would prefer we play someone on their off side rather than not getting the return for Faulk we should be expecting. We shouldn't be giving assets away.

Darling
Mrazek

Oh boy....

Still a lot of offseason to go of course.

Last edited:
Might we have an even cheaper owner than the last one?

Anything else we do would be a trade, or we’d have to bury a 1 way contract in Charlotte. We have 10 forwards on NHL contracts. Add in Aho, Svechnikov and Necas and we’re at 13. When TVR re-signs, we’ll have 5 dmen on NHL contracts plus Fleury. The roster is full.

Well that hope and a Quarter won't get you a cup of coffee...
I think we should get Dundon to buy a white horse. We really need a Miracle.

I think Norm Miracle retired...

And I guess Mrazek's nickname in Carolina will not be "The Remedy"?

Last edited:
SO where are we relative to the cap?

Let's guess TVR signs for something like 2 years $3 million AAV and Wallmark gets $650k AAV. The roster I have listed above with 14 forwards, 7 DMen and the 2 Goalies plus money we retained for Kruger and the Semin buyout comes out to around $65 million in terms of cap hit. So yeah, not a lot money being spent relative to the cap if that is the roster. Any SKinner or Faulk trade I suspect would result in our cap hit going DOWN closer to the floor.

Lots of potential for disaster in that roster, from the goaltending to the 3 rookies in the lineup....

SO where are we relative to the cap?

Let's guess TVR signs for something like 2 years $3 million AAV and Wallmark gets $650k AAV. The roster I have listed above with 14 forwards, 7 DMen and the 2 Goalies plus money we retained for Kruger and the Semin buyout comes out to around $65 million in terms of cap hit. So yeah, not a lot money being spent relative to the cap if that is the roster. Any SKinner or Faulk trade I suspect would result in our cap hit going DOWN closer to the floor.

Lots of potential for disaster in that roster, from the goaltending to the 3 rookies in the lineup....

It’s not the rookies I’m afraid of- it’s the absolute lack of security in net! The rookies don’t worry me- the goaltending does. Can you image what will happen to Necas, Svechnikov and Zykov if there’s no one to stop a goal, make a timely save or who lets in softies?? What in the world is going on with the front office?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything else we do would be a trade, or we’d have to bury a 1 way contract in Charlotte. We have 10 forwards on NHL contracts. Add in Aho, Svechnikov and Necas and we’re at 13. When TVR re-signs, we’ll have 5 dmen on NHL contracts plus Fleury. The roster is full.

Well signing PDG to a contract only so you can say you have a full roster and can't sign any free agents then that is being cheap. And by the way any serious team would have bought out Darling. I don't see any signs that tells me this team is going to get the last pieces it needs to actually compete for real any time soon.

Might we have an even cheaper owner than the last one?

I am ok with the UFA market decisions. While we are all unhappy with the current roster, especially in goal, I am not sure what was out their that was much of an upgrade without spending stupid money. There are a couple guys who were on waivers within the past couple of years (Ian Cole, Perron, etc.) that just signed multiple year deals around $4M per. John Moore just pocketed $13.75M. I am ok with missing out on that.

The Canes will need to build via trades and draft, although James Neal would be a nice surprise signing!

Regarding Mrazek, I am not as down on it as most. I feel somewhat confident that one of the goalies will have a bounce-back year and at least be average. It is pretty sad when I am just rooting for average in the Canes net!!

Regarding Mrazek, I am not as down on it as most. I feel somewhat confident that one of the goalies will have a bounce-back year and at least be average. It is pretty sad when I am just rooting for average in the Canes net!!

I tend to agree with this. I don't see it as much of a stretch to think at least one of Darling and Mrazek will rebound. Still a gamble, but we had no other option but to gamble at this point.

Ok, the goalie situation is saved, the centers are middlin, the defense is defensible, the wings are flapping so it’s time to sell season tickets!

I could be wrong but I see this as a terrible signing. Better goalies were available.

Lehner was a better option than Mrazek by far, but to be fair, Francis and company were ahead of the crowd early last summer and look where that got them. Let’s all not forget, Darling only needed to be average and he shit the bed, so another season where it’s Darling or bust. Mrazek will give you the odd game where he stands on his head but overall he’s just a one year filler on the cheap as a backup.

I think most of the posturing around Darling, by the organization, is for his confidence. I'm willing to bet as much as they say they're confident he will improve, he will be on a short leash and will put out to pasture within 10 games or so if he stinks like a fish market dumpster.

Well, I’m not too badly worked up (either way) about this. Bottom line is that if Darling sucks again, we’re in deep crap. IMHO, none of the other options were slam dunks for this year. There’s a reason they were on the market and a year ago many folks thought grabbing Darling was a decent move too. Dude better come in spitting fire this year from the git go.

Well, I’m not too badly worked up (either way) about this. Bottom line is that if Darling sucks again, we’re in deep crap. IMHO, none of the other options were slam dunks for this year. There’s a reason they were on the market and a year ago many folks thought grabbing Darling was a decent move too. Dude better come in spitting fire this year from the git go.

^^This is how I choose to look at. I won't start freaking out until bad things happen, though our needs were NOT really addressed. We know that Darling & Mrazek have it in them to play well, in spite of last season's flops. Darling needs to earn his money & live up to the value of the contract he signed. Hopefully, he hired a sports psychologist in the off-seasonto help get his head right and play like it matters.

Mrazek was definitely not the player I hoped Waddell might sign, but there's no going back at this point. I'm grateful it is a short term deal, so he can either prove himself, or get the hell off my team. Maybe the change of address and new coaching will bring the best out of him. It's happened before before, I hope it does again.

Maybe we need a "Carolina's worst goaltender" thread. I still have nightmares of Eric Fichaud being in net for no apparent reason and playing like he was on ice for the first time ever. Dollar for dollar, Darling has played the worst in relation to expectations.

Jim

Patrick DesRochers? Jamie Storr? John Grahame?

I really do hope that last year was Darling’s learning curve and he has his head on right come September.

Far too early to get all worked up with a roster that is still a work in progress. I actually think the market for Skinner and Faulk is still strong and the Canes could still find some much needed help at center. Dundon to me so far has come across as cheap and a guy that really is puzzling to figure out. The Canes were not going to find much goaltending help without a blockbuster trade so you hope and pray they get average help in net this coming season and take your chances.

Dundon is puzzling, no doubt. He talks about spending money on quality and maybe he'll follow through on that eventually. But when it came to spending on quality management, he didn't. Experienced coaching? Nope. I mean, the teams still FEELS like it's under the thumb of a broke owner but this time it's just a guy who's thrifty? I don't know.

That said, spending three million bucks on Jay Beagle or Derrek Ryan yesterday would have been monumentally stupid, so at least that's not us.

Back