• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Sign Petr Mrazek

it made sense the Canes only wanted to sign a goalie for 1 year. And the other guys wanted multi year deals most likely. Mrzaek could have been the best guy who agreed to 1 year.

As far as signing a coach with no experience the Caps just promoted from within too. That guy only has 1 year as an AHL head coach and the rest of his time was an NHL assistant.

Last edited:
If the best we can say about Mrazek is that he signed for cheap and the term is good- 1 year- did we really do anything to upgrade? This is a signing that does not improve us nor does it offer any real security if the guys struggle out of the gate.

it made sense the Canes only wanted to sign a goalie for 1 year. And the other guys wanted multi year deals most likely. Mrzaek could have been the best guy who agreed to 1 year.<br>
<br>
As far as signing a coach with no experience the Caps just promoted from within too. That guy only has 1 year as an AHL head coach and the rest of his time was an NHL assistant.

Add to that, that Carolina is not a desirable location for some. We have the longest running playoff drought, new ownership that is not respected, and the team plays to the emptiest building in the league. As bad as Buffalo has been, they've been to the playoffs more recently and have fans to play in front of on a regular basis.

As much as I would have liked us to solve the goalie situation this summer, Mrazek is about where I expected us to land. This team was never going to get fixed in one summer. We got lucky to pick up Svechnikov, just like the Caps got lucky to get Ovechkin and the Pens got lucky to get Crosby and the Jets got lucky to get Laine and on and on. Not saying that Svetch is as good as those guys, but he's hopefully someone to build around and generate excitement like those guys. After that, its a process of parlaying that talent.

they could not really upgrade in goal now unless they were going to give an untested guy a 3 year deal. And if that new guy does not work and Darling still has problems, next summer could be 2 goalie buyouts .

One thing about Mrazek is he was a starter a few years back before his recent downturn . The other guys were all backups.

Kind of hard to beat them up over not solving the goalie problem through free agency since there were no solutions evident there. So I get being disappointed in where we are in goalie at the moment, and the questions about why not buy out Darling etc. But what would be a possible solution. It would have to be a trade - but what would be some options on that? They spent terrible money on Darling last year, and a buy out might seem to make the most sense, it doesn't if there's not someone else we could bring in instead that has a significant chance of being significantly better this season. I think my greater concern is that while the immediate situation is maybe not solvable, we also don't seem to be taking any steps to fix the longer term situation - I don't see any reason this gets better next season unless we get lucky and Darling pulls himself together, or Mrazek does and resigns here.

I don't think the Darling contract would be an impediment to solving the goalie situation if there was a solution out there. I think they'd either buy him out or pay him but send him to Charolotte. I think they'd have kept Cam and done that but that leaves us with even less chance of coming up with a longer term solution. As it is, we have 2 bullets that could turn into our starter for the next several years just based on age. They don't look like very good bullets at this point...

Back