• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs sign John Tavares to 7 year/ $77m deal

Good article on the not so cut and dry tax debate

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seanpa...s-new-contract/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Ya exactly, I don't think this matters as much as people think. It's more of a storyline for the media. I think TSN had some sort of "Tavares take home salary" tool or something before he signed, as if it's that simple. Smart accountants are gonna smart-accountant for these top guys.

Where it's actually more likely to hurt is signing a vet third or fourth liner for a million bucks. If he's got an offer from us and an offer from Tbay for a million, with significantly less tax planning options, he might lean Tbay. But who gives a shit.

That’s why it took so long to get the deal done. The leafs couldn’t make a formal offer until July 1. Then the tax lawyers needed some time to figure out the optimal way to structure the $$

Ya exactly, I don't think this matters as much as people think. It's more of a storyline for the media. I think TSN had some sort of "Tavares take home salary" tool or something before he signed, as if it's that simple. Smart accountants are gonna smart-accountant for these top guys.

Where it's actually more likely to hurt is signing a vet third or fourth liner for a million bucks. If he's got an offer from us and an offer from Tbay for a million, with significantly less tax planning options, he might lean Tbay. But who gives a shit.

Third/fourth liners and aging vets are easy to find like Ennis on 1 year deals . Once your core is financially set the rest is easy

Any news with Nylander , why the signing delay ?

Nylander hates him too.

Babcock only screwed a tiny bit with Matthews, Nylander was treated like a rookie most of the year. Guess, what? I think most of the team hates him. Worked for Scotty Bowman, but times have changed. Babcock will be gone in the near term, and Shanahan will lose a lot of his shine when it happens.

Dubas might be able to get rid of two fossils at the same time. Good for him.

How can anyone like a guy who creates such retarded lineups and talks about being a great person meanwhile he apparently curses like a drunk sailor behind the bench?

Do you think Nylander and Matthews parents cursed like that? Must be pretty shocking initially to be around a guy like that.

Speaking of players who hate Babs, i find it funny that the guys who speak out are players like Aaron Ward and Chris Chelios. No its not that you didn't want to play for Babs, you stunk and he didn't want you playing for him. I'm sure Peter Holland and Frankie Corrado also hated playing for Babs.

Fortunately for us, players who are actually good at hockey love him.

Yeah...Mike Commodore, hilariously enough, still maintains a massive hate on for Babcock because Babs rightly identified that he was shit and didn't play him.

Aaron Ward's hate for the Leafs is kind of pathetic. He was on TSN (Montreal) radio the other day going off on the "long list" of guys who don't like playing for Babcock.

Also chirped the "marketing machine" of TML for putting out video of Matthews and Tavares, in Leafs gear, practicing with big smiles. Called it a gross attempt at trying to sell some jerseys.

Ya Aaron, no other team who just invested $77m in a single player would be trying to sell jerseys. Christ.

Aaron Ward's hate for the Leafs is kind of pathetic. He was on TSN (Montreal) radio the other day going off on the "long list" of guys who don't like playing for Babcock.

Also chirped the "marketing machine" of TML for putting out video of Matthews and Tavares, in Leafs gear, practicing with big smiles. Called it a gross attempt at trying to sell some jerseys.

Ya Aaron, no other team who just invested $77m in a single player would be trying to sell jerseys. Christ.

at least the domestic abuse charges were dropped

It is very typical to go on English Montreal radio nd just dump on the Leafs. that's your opening line to be loved.
LOL @ a clip being a "Marketing Machine". Every team does that. Yeah, they like to sell jerseys, so do 30 other teams.

Tavares hated Babs so much that he ditched his team and signed here as a UFA.

And took millions less to do so.
I really don't care if Chelios started hating Babcock for benching him at age 46 when he should have retired already. Babcock was the one who was keeping him in the NHL at that point.

Back