• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sign Calvin DeHaan

This signing also indicate how things have gotten a bit out of whack with the RFA market. We basically going to be paying de Haan less money over 4 years than Noah Hanifin is likely expecting to get paid as part of his next contract. Sure Hanifin MIGHT have more upside down the road, but if you want to win in the short term, who would you rather have in your lineup for this coming season?

Greetings from the other side of the pond--Ljubjlana, Slovenia to be exact. This was AWESOME news to wake up to this morning!

And I'm headed to Germany today, but agree, this is fantastic news. Didn't know this was even in the cards, but it's good to see the Canes management making moves to strengthen our defense - especially since they were unable to do much with the goalie situation. This off-season has been pretty bold and long overdue.

This signing also indicate how things have gotten a bit out of whack with the RFA market. We basically going to be paying de Haan less money over 4 years than Noah Hanifin is likely expecting to get paid as part of his next contract. Sure Hanifin MIGHT have more upside down the road, but if you want to win in the short term, who would you rather have in your lineup for this coming season?

Or it reflects how out of whack Hanifin’s agent’s read is, or it reflects that DeHaan is interested in things other than maximizing his millions, or it reflects that Hanifin never really wanted to sign here and so just threw around numbers that he knew Dundon wouldn’t bite on. Short of it is...its complicated. But now we have DeHaan, and I’m pretty psyched about that. .... very much looking forward to September now ....we may not be great, but we’re certainly going to be entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hanifin isn't alone. Lindholm's demands were also based in fantasy and I don't think the trend is isolated to the Canes. That's why there's been some minor clapping behind the scenes for Dundon's approach to his RFAs. The CBA gives owners and GMs the tools to avoid price hikes that don't match performance, but they MUST be willing to walk away from negotiations or to trade players who make ridiculous salary demands in their RFA negotiations. Dundon was willing to do just that, while the vast majority of GMs and owners have just gone ahead and over-paid their RFAs and contributed directly to salary creep. Because that's what happens in the NHL most of the time.

In this case, having an outsider perspective worked FOR the Hurricanes.

You know, the best news on this 4th is that we asked, pleaded even, for them to do something--and they have. Lottery Luck played a role in this, but I love that fact that we finally said the core is rotten and have made changes. A few more likely, for the first time in years, I'm starting to feel like it may be time to be a STM again.

It's not perfect, we'll see if it is truly better (sure feels that way), but at a minimum its different. Bravo.

And oh--I'd take either Hamilton or DeHaan over Hanifan. Having both---big win on my end (I am not high on Hanifan at all. He has the tools but never has shown me he has the hockey sense to think the game at NHL speed)

Yeah ... thus far the changes made have made is better in the short run and without actually increasing payroll. I'm not complaining at all. I'd have loved to have gotten Grubauer instead of Mrazek but that was outside the team's control. They were in there with a chance on that deal at least.

That said ... the two glaring roster problems we started the summer with are still present. No first line center, no decent goaltender.

Honestly, at this point just keep dangling Skinner and Faulk until one of them returns you a proper center. Not a franchise player, because you're not going to get that for either of those two, and probably wouldn't get it for both. But you can reasonably anticipate getting a center who will be an improvement on being forced to play both Aho and Necas up the middle ... at which point you're so skinny and light at center that you HAVE to be concerned about insurance premiums.

That D is built to win. The goaltending is still a crapshoot and the forward lines are still poorly balanced. You probably can't fix the goaltending with one move, but you CAN improve the balance up front. Do that.

Totally agree, no rush, but keep dangling the trade bait you have until the offer is sweet enough to bite. The next fish is Erik Karlsson to fry, once that trade gets done, a rival team that loses out on him will circle back at some point on Faulk. A very serviceable center is not out of the question to balance those forward lines via trade.

Yeah this signing makes me feel a lot better. I was worried that they were going to take the cheap route but now they kind of proved that that is not the case.

For all the crap that Waddell receives, he has made some really shrewd moves this offseason (probably the Canes best in a long time) and has improved this club. The goalie situation is still a dumpster fire, but the trade to get Hamilton and avoid two bad contracts (Hanifin, Lindholm) combined with this signing really has the Canes moving in the right direction. If he can somehow package a combination of Faulk, Skinner and some prospects into a top line center, Waddell will have hit a home run. Worst case, the organization is positioned very well to improve in goal and forward mix over the next year (trade deadline, draft, UFA market next summer). Things are looking good.

When it comes to Waddell I think it's important to look past Atlanta and realize that his current situation isn't a traditional GM role. He's more of an executive GM than a pure manager since all of the decisions are going through the Hurricanes current group development process. And yeah, he's done what he's getting paid to do during his time as GM here.

Now that things have settled down over on Edwards Mill Road I'm interested to see how coverage of the Canes starts to shift ... or rather IF it starts to shift. We've made some roster moves that HAVE to be classified as positive, at least in the near term. Sooner or later the scales have to tip towards "hey, maybe these guys aren't as clueless as we thought" ... or at least I hope so.

de Haan so far has the highest AAV for any UFA defenseman who signed with a new team.

de Haan so far has the highest AAV for any UFA defenseman who signed with a new team.

I mean yeah. He's a first or second pairing guy with a good track record and still fairly young. The rest of the UFA defensemen who have signed are really not in his class so that makes perfect sense.

Back