• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes sign Calvin DeHaan

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
According to DeCock on Twitter

DeHaan is a left shot D who can comfortably play in the top 4

Carry on

Wow! What a total surprise.

Plenty of time to sort things out, but what a top-4 D talent pool we now have.

I'm thinking more like they will leave the shut-down pair intact in that Pesce perfectly complements Slavin's ability to not only defend but also move the puck out of danger by being his safety valve.

And de Haan is an excellent complement to Hamilton's offensive skills and instincts in that he is a nearly flawless defensive D-man with puck-moving skills. A steady-Eddie who will have Hamilton's back when he goes...which he will.

What a pick-up. And, yes, Faulk is back in play with a vengeance.

Dunno guys. For some reason I’m thinking this just raises the price on Faulk. Why move him now if you can take all the pressure off of him and give him some room to find his game again. Then move him later when he’s not damaged goods.

Could be off base. Call it a hunch. At a minimum this lets Carolina be much more selective in evaluating Faulk offers. Certainly not in desperation mode at this point. If they move him, then do it for the right return ... something we actually need.

Last edited:
Wow! like that signing. DeHaan was under the radar for so long given his injury last season, but this makes us so much better. Never thought the Canes were in on him. I like this and like what this gives us. Oh, man-- so this is what a front office does!

Keep Faulk. That's a damn fine defense.

It will be interesting to see what defenseman will be moved, but I agree, it’s a helluva blue line right now! This signing came out of left field but I always liked DeHaan, not flashy but a steady, reliable top 4 guy that does everything well. Suddenly the Canes chances of upgrading this roster significantly is in reach once another trade or two is complete.

If Fleury / Faulk become our third-pairing instead of our second-pairing last season...

And we are a bit defensive-heavy right now, so could use another offensive-type D-man in the mix...like Faulk on the second PP unit from a third-pairing safer-against-FU's position than before...but that's a lot of dough sunk into the third pairing.

But that extra O could also be cured by adding someone like right-shot Fox to that third pairing.

Having the likes of Fleury, Faulk, TVR, Bean, Fox, McKeown, and even Carrick available for the 5D, 6D, and 7D slots...well, that's some depth all right.

May lose Fleury to Seattle, but wouldn't miss a beat if so.

Dunno guys. For some reason I’m thinking this just raises the price on Faulk. Why move him now if you can take all the pressure off of him and give him some room to find his game again. Then move him later when he’s not damaged goods.

Could be off base. Call it a hunch. At a minimum this lets Carolina be much more selective in evaluating Faulk offers. Certainly not in desperation mode at this point. If they move him, then do it for the right return ... something we actually need.
We could send him to Ottawa for Bobby Ryan :couch

Last edited:
Nice signing. Doesn't matter now if we trade Faulk or TVR, our D is significantly better than it was last season.

From that N&O article:

"The period leading up to free agency, we received a good amount of calls, we got some offers here and there, but the Hurricanes seemed very intriguing for me," de Haan said. "It seemed like a good fit. At the end of the day it seemed like the right decision to make. You never know, but I'm very intrigued and very happy."

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...canes-now/article214287649.html#storylink=cpy

AS StormChaser noted, isn't that nice to hear from a UFA? The article also indicates that Dundon and Brindy spoke with de Haan as part of the sales pitch. They must have done a really good sell job on de Haan's role and where this organization is heading.

Last edited:
Greetings from the other side of the pond--Ljubjlana, Slovenia to be exact. This was AWESOME news to wake up to this morning!

Honestly, at this point just keep dangling Skinner and Faulk until one of them returns you a proper center. Not a franchise player, because you're not going to get that for either of those two, and probably wouldn't get it for both. But you can reasonably anticipate getting a center who will be an improvement on being forced to play both Aho and Necas up the middle ... at which point you're so skinny and light at center that you HAVE to be concerned about insurance premiums.

That D is built to win. The goaltending is still a crapshoot and the forward lines are still poorly balanced. You probably can't fix the goaltending with one move, but you CAN improve the balance up front. Do that.

Back