• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Re-Sign TVR

Very reasonable contract. I'm glad we resigned him - he may not be flashy, but he was unusually solid on a porous team last season.

I mean ... fine. I'm not as high on TVR as the rest of you, but that's a reasonable cost for a guy with his level of experience. Now, maybe somebody can talk him into playing hard nosed focused hockey more often than once a week.

my brother's kids went to the same catholic HS as TVR in NJ. Their cross country team has not lost a meet since 1974. It's a boys school.

I mean ... fine. I'm not as high on TVR as the rest of you, but that's a reasonable cost for a guy with his level of experience. Now, maybe somebody can talk him into playing hard nosed focused hockey more often than once a week.

I'm not that high on him either, but he's okay at that price.

Two-year deal is good for him and for the team.

Price, term, and right-shot D-man means he's tradeable if we need to make room for someone...like Fox.

my brother's kids went to the same catholic HS as TVR in NJ. Their cross country team has not lost a meet since 1974. It's a boys school.

Christian Brothers Academy in Lincroft. About a mile from the house I lived in before I moved to Raleigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His brother went to that school too and they both played college hockey at New Hampshire . He took the cup on his day to that school. Maybe he can do it again soon. :)

I'm not that high on him either, but he's okay at that price.

Two-year deal is good for him and for the team.

Price, term, and right-shot D-man means he's tradeable if we need to make room for someone...like Fox.

You keep mentioning Fox, but I really think you need to slow your roll on that one. Until they've actually got him signed I'm not buying it on that kid. Too many rumors that he wanted out of Calgary and wants out of here too. If he signs ... fine. If not, then I figured I'd rather be prepared.

Just maximizing chances for success.

If he sees his path to the NHL blocked here by a glut of right-shot D-men that are not movable, that's not good.

And I've seen nothing about him wanting out of here. Just that he told Calgary no way.

And I've seen nothing about him wanting out of here. Just that he told Calgary no way.

Apparently he told Calgary no way because he wants to play in the Northeast. We ain't in the Northeast. Just a bit of caution is in order, I think.

Just skimmed the entire 540 post thread on Hockey Futures after the trade went down with plenty of discussion from the Flames fans on Fox's refusal to sign with them.

No mention whatsoever of a desire on Fox's part to play in the northeast, even though, yes he's a Jericho, NY native for whatever that is worth.

Seems it was all about the perceived depth of their right-side defense (currently Brodie, Harmonic, Stone, with Kylington in the AHL) all considered ahead of Fox and with little need expressed for yet another PP "quarterback" on the third pairing and a low opinion of his skating speed and ability to play in his own end.

Fox's view of life in Calgary not discussed, but let's say that too might have been a factor.

Also some discussion that he has no interest in playing in the AHL and is looking for a pipeline straight to the NHL from the NCAA.

So, the right-shot depth issue is a valid concern in getting him signed at some point, perhaps after this current NCAA season ends, burning a year off his ELC.

Therefore, moving Faulk and being able to move TVR is a strategic component of landing Fox on the roster. Because unlike Calgary, we COULD use a third-pairing right-shot defenseman that we could run out on a PP unit due to Pesce being not that guy.

And, down the road, Fox could replace Hamilton on the second pairing once the remaining three seasons on Hamilton's contract has run its course.

So showing Fox that path exists here is kinda important. Plus, Raleigh's a lot closer to the northeast than Calgary if that is indeed a concern.

For a random Friday in September, there are 40 nonstop flights from RDU to the 3 New York area airports and it takes about an hour. There are 2 from Calgary and it takes about 4-1/2 hours. We ain’t the northeast, but we also ain’t the Tavares-less Islanders either, Uncle Lou and Trotz notwithstanding.

Fine ... get all optimistic. Just hows about not pencilling the guy into the lineup for this year, OK? He's not ready, he's not signed and it's not realistic.

I understand Fox's desire to go straight to the NHL - hell, who wouldn't want that? - but it's only the rarest of talent that can make that leap. Some of his so-called reluctance may be the result of overblown media newstories, so I'm not gonna waste time sorting out what's fact or fiction. However, I do have a problem with a young kid thinking he deserves more than he's earned, but that may be media "noise" too. Time will tell and we've got plenty of other stuff to focus on.

Back