• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Steve Smith Resigns

This next hire will be telling. The whole front office perception was "Dundon is cheap" and that dictated strategy. Then we made the Hamilton trade and signed deHaan. and perceptions changed.

let's see what happens next.

This next hire will be telling. The whole front office perception was "Dundon is cheap" and that dictated strategy. Then we made the Hamilton trade and signed deHaan. and perceptions changed.

let's see what happens next.

I’d prefer a well known coach with some years under his belt in the NHL as the assistant but I guess that depends on what Dundon may be willing to pay. Daniels just did not get me excited at all so I’d love to see a guy we all know back there that instills some veteran coaching experience.

I would hope it wasn't because he didn't want to work under RBA. Maybe he had hoped for the head coaching job. That would NOT have been a good idea!

I 'spect it's too much to hope for to get Ulf as defensive asst. coach

Last edited:
Craig Ramsay. NHL Head coaching experience (limited), worked with Waddell and Dudley and currently head coach for Team Slovakia.

Was curious as to how much of our defensive system was Smith and how much came from the infamous binder that Peters flashed to impress Francis into hiring him.

Guess now we'll never know.

But I'm ready to see a different approach taken than what we've been seeing the past few seasons. That tight gap, lose your man and watch him go, clearing the crease ain't my job, man stuff wasn't/isn't getting it.

We can know to some degree. The Bowman system that Peters fell in love with in Detroit features the D challenging at the blue line and then falling back, with the forwards supposedly covering loose pucks in the corners. We never seemed to get a handle on the challenge the blue line part of the equation. As you said, WAY too often the D waived at the puck with their stick at the blue line and then chased the guy who just blew by them back into the zone where scramble mode ensued.

The strategy isn't on Smith, but the lack of execution lies somewhere between him and how poorly our personnel was suited to play that style. The math isn't complicated in the NHL. Assistants are hired to implement the head coach's systems. Period. They either do it well or poorly, but that's NOT always reflected in the results. As we all know too well, you can drill these guys in a system they have no hope of succeeding in all you want. Doesn't mean they'll succeed.

My beef with Smith wasn't the system, but rather something that WAS fully in his control ... the pairings. You guys all know first hand how many times we trotted out flat out ridiculous defensive pairings over the last four years. THAT is on Smith. Color me unimpressed.

There must have been some fundamental differences or issues that Steve Smith had with the Canes or Dundon to just suddenly depart now instead of when Peters left. It just seems odd that Smith stayed on when Brindy was hired and then work the prospect development camp and then just walk away yesterday with no warning. After Waddell's comments yesterday, it does not sound like it was family reasons on why Smith left, just an amicable parting of the ways was the report. The Canes have one of the best defense cores in the entire league so it's not like Smith was not going to have lots of great talent to work with...

He was hired by Peters to do a thing. Brindy might have wanted him to do a different thing or do the same thing in a way he wasn't comfortable with. Who knows?

It would be nice to live in a market where the sports media would do some actual reporting and answer some of these questions, but alas.

It would be nice to live in a market where the sports media would do some actual reporting and answer some of these questions, but alas

truth as it relates to hockey. If it were Panther football or ACC basketball, there would be coverage.

truth as it relates to hockey. If it were Panther football or ACC basketball, there would be coverage.

Oh. Chip covered it. He's just too dense to ask any real questions or realize that his readers might want to know more than whatever pablum Waddell is serving up. "Oh. Mutual parting of the ways after prospect development camp, you say? Sounds plausible."

That was my first thought Kahuna when I saw that Smith was stating 'other opportunities'. Calgary rounded out their coaching staff recently. Peters is the head coach, Geoff Ward (3 years behind the Devils bench and 7 years behind the Bruins bench) and Ryan Huska (4 years as Calgary's AHL affiliate head coach) were named as assistants recently. Martin Gelinas is also still there as an assistant.

I will say this though....Calgary appears to have an opening for an experience former NHL Dman and Dman coach in some capacity...even if its not behind the bench.

coached BrindAmour during his short stint in Philly but he is 67 so I doubt Canes consider him.

I thought about him for the same reason, he was on the Philly staff for Bindy’s last 2 seasons there. Ramsay was a forward as a player, and won the Selke in 84-85, but he served on staffs with 2 former forwards as assistants. In the 2 years in Philly, the other assistant was Wayne Cashman, another forward, so it’s likely that he’s worked the D before. But his experience would be invaluable and a short term hire would give the organization another year to evaluate long term candidates and jump in next offseason as staffs turn over.

One year when he was with the Bruins, I ran into him and some other coaches at the Fox and Hound in North Hills. They were seated at an adjacent table. He was holding court, telling stories, etc. I almost fell out of my chair leaning over so far to listen in.

Brindy's deal is for 3 years, right? How many years is Daniels contract? Maybe Smitty wanted an extension to his one year deal to fall in line with the other two and Dundon said no. Kinda like getting your shoes pissed on, no? So he says bye bye.

Brindy's deal is for 3 years, right? How many years is Daniels contract? Maybe Smitty wanted an extension to his one year deal to fall in line with the other two and Dundon said no. Kinda like getting your shoes pissed on, no? So he says bye bye.

Something, once again, that perhaps a good beat reporter might have thought to ask and then report on ... sigh.

don't forget the N&O sent a guy to the draft for the first time in a long while. Bad news is that was probably their entire Canes travel budget for the upcoming season.

in other media news soon coach K will come down from his throne and have a rare event where he talks to the media rather than sending his assistants. I'm sure the local media will bow and scrape in big numbers. :)

don't forget the N&O sent a guy to the draft for the first time in a long while. Bad news is that was probably their entire Canes travel budget for the upcoming season.

The significance there being that they sent somebody other than Alexander. That guy is either dumb as a bar of soap or just doesn't care about his beat ... or both. The only thing that EVER comes from sending Chip to cover anything is that he re-frames the formal press statement and slaps his byline over it. He's useless.

well he's pretty much retired right? And just works part time so he might not really care if they ax him. I think he's the last N&O sports old timer still at the paper after everyone left or got purged in the cost cutting moves. He's been there since the 70s from what I recall.

well he's pretty much retired right? And just works part time so he might not really care if they ax him. I think he's the last N&O sports old timer still at the paper after everyone left or got purged in the cost cutting moves. He's been there since the 70s from what I recall.

Chip the is the last Sports writer who worked at the NandO before they bought out the Raleigh Times, put it that way. He's stunk at covering anything other than golf for his entire career, but they've just kept jamming onto various beats ... I suspect because he doesn't write well enough to carry off a regular column anymore. He much be bloody cheap or they wouldn't keep him around anymore.

Back