• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Steve Smith Resigns

Smith and his family may have grew tired of the nicer winters here and wanted to head somewhere a bit more frigid.

Smith and his family may have grew tired of the nicer winters here and wanted to head somewhere a bit more frigid.

Smith also grew up in the London, Ontario area and that's closer to home as well. I get the reason for the resignation-- working with a former teammate, coaching and grooming one of the best defensive prospects in forever and being closer to home. My only issue is the timing-- not having your complete staff in place at prospects camp. Would have preferred that, but it's not insurmountable.

Buffalo has actually done worse than the Canes under their new owner. He took over midseason in 2011 and they made the playoffs that year but no playoffs since then. But I'm sure all those a**holes up there think one guy can turn it around. Maybe all the a**holes from up there have moved here but I think there are plenty of them left. If there is a worse fan base in America I have yet to see it.

Smith also grew up in the London, Ontario area and that's closer to home as well. I get the reason for the resignation-- working with a former teammate, coaching and grooming one of the best defensive prospects in forever and being closer to home. My only issue is the timing-- not having your complete staff in place at prospects camp. Would have preferred that, but it's not insurmountable.

That could be a big part of things indeed. As a youth growing up in Canada, I had a seasonal job for a couple summers bagging groceries in the summer resort town of Grand Bend, Ontario...about an hour from London...and none other than Steve Smith and his wife would come in all summer long as they had a summer cottage home on Lake Huron in Grand Bend. One of those summers was the year he scored the goal in his own net that cost the Flames the series...not a good summer for Smitty as I recall. I believe he had a lot of extended family from Southwestern Ontario and that could be a big part of his desire to head back that way.

Maybe Smith is fearful that the Canes are improving and it would impact the time he could spend at his summer cottage on Lake Huron.

Maybe Smith is fearful that the Canes are improving and it would impact the time he could spend at his summer cottage on Lake Huron.

In the absence of anybody in our media bothering to ask any questions, I'm gonna vote for the "work with Dahlin and for Housley" option. If Smitty was a coward he never would have toughed it out after that own goal.

My pure speculation...Brindy and Daniels got multi-year deals. Smith asked for one and was told no--and then offered an out like Peters---find another job, and we'll let you go (but we aren't paying you not to work).

My pure speculation...Brindy and Daniels got multi-year deals. Smith asked for one and was told no--and then offered an out like Peters---find another job, and we'll let you go (but we aren't paying you not to work).

Yeah ... that doesn't jive with what Brind'Amour was talking about on the radio earlier on the day Smith walked. The simplest answer is the most likely ... he got an offer to go to Buffalo from his old friend Housely and he took it. End of story.

Back