• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Steve Smith Resigns

Hope all is ok with Steve and his family and that this is just a personal or business 'change in direction' move by him.

I can't pretend that I have any idea who is available to fill that vacancy. Where is Kevin McCarthy at the moment I guess would be the first question to ask?

Last edited:
Hope all is ok with Steve and his family and that this is just a personal or business 'change in direction' move by him.

I can't pretend that I have any idea who is available to fill that vacancy. Where is Kevin McCarthy at the moment I guess would be the first question to ask?

McCarthy has been with Laviolette in Philly and Nashville since leaving the Canes. He was promoted to Associate Coach after Phil Housley left.

Perish the thought, but that could mean a promotion for Gleason.

Perish the thought, but that could mean a promotion for Gleason.

Nah ... no way a first time head coach rounds out his staff with a guy who's never actually coached above the pee wee level, if that.

Here's where we need somebody with some experience and hopefully Waddell steps up and makes sure we don't do the "normal" Hurricanes BS and just bring somebody in from somewhere in the system or who used to be in the system. And I've gotta be honest here, I've never been all that high on Smith. We stuck with crap pairings WAY too much in his time here and he's just never filled me with any kind of confidence. Again, some of that is surely down to the stubborn mule of a head coach he was working for but still. This will be fine so long as we do a solid job of finding another guy to manage the D.

in case you are wondering Vellucci played defense during his playing days. Probably better for him to stay in Charlotte and hope to get a NHL head coaching job. Also probably not happy about being passed over for the head job.

Former Cane assistant Dave Lewis is not working after he was axed by Belarus during the WC this year. Doesn't appear to have coached in the NHL since he was axed by the Canes with Muller so that's not a good sign. Also noticed he's 65 so he probably is done with coaching.

anybody D guys who played with BrindAmour in coaching? Probably a few around the league.

Glen Wesley is still unemployed at the moment I believe.

Looks like we are going to have to go out of org for this one.

for fun I looked at the D rosters on 2002 and 2006 teams and did not find anyone there in coaching, from what I can tell.

Wesley moved to Utah so he's not on the list .

in case you are wondering Vellucci played defense during his playing days. Probably better for him to stay in Charlotte and hope to get a NHL head coaching job. Also probably not happy about being passed over for the head job.

Former Cane assistant Dave Lewis is not working after he was axed by Belarus during the WC this year. Doesn't appear to have coached in the NHL since he was axed by the Canes with Muller so that's not a good sign. Also noticed he's 65 so he probably is done with coaching.

anybody D guys who played with BrindAmour in coaching? Probably a few around the league.

Luke Richardson fit the bill but the Habs hired him this morning.

Perusing the dmen he played with in Philly, I get a few names. Moe Mantha is a head coach in the NAHL; Ryan McGill is an assistant for Vegas; Rob Zettler is an assistant for San Jose; Kjell Samuelsson is director of player development in Philly after 12 seasons as an assistant with their AHL team; Darren Rumble is head coach of Moncton in the Q and spent 6 years as an AHL assistant; Kerry Huffman is an assistant with Lehigh Valley in the AHL; Andy Delmore is an assistant in the ECHL; Ulf Samuelsson is an assistant in Chicago.

Maybe an AHL Head Coach like Derek Laxdal from the Texas Stars...Kelly Buchburger recently got axed from Doug Weight's staff on Long Island, former NHL defenceman Darryl Sydor has also been in the minor league coaching ranks a few years.

LOL, that isn't your fault Tryamw (unless you are responsible for loading up the shows to the web then it is totally your fault)! Thank you for posting the link, I do want to hear those shows.

Per Chip, Waddell stated that this was a "amicable" parting and ""He talked to us and said he had been here four years and was looking at other things."

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/latest-news/article214574495.html#storylink=cpy

I agree that the timing it a bit strange, happening after rookie camp, but we are entering what is mostly a dead period for a couple of months.

Was curious as to how much of our defensive system was Smith and how much came from the infamous binder that Peters flashed to impress Francis into hiring him.

Guess now we'll never know.

But I'm ready to see a different approach taken than what we've been seeing the past few seasons. That tight gap, lose your man and watch him go, clearing the crease ain't my job, man stuff wasn't/isn't getting it.

So, yes, surprise us...and in a good way...like you want.

Back