• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So, what's next?

Be interesting how they spin gardiner walking away for nothing at the end of next season.

I really have to wonder if they find out a 1a defenceman becomes available during this coming season, that they keep the 4 forwards (marner, matthews, tavares and nylander) and move kadri.
Imho, he would be worth a hell of alot. 30 goal scoring centerman who can play at both ends of the rink, and has the heart of a lion, and who makes almost half of what others of his ilk get.
Yes I know that these are the types of player and types of contracts that help create a championship team, but these are the types of players that other coaches press their GMs to overpay for.
I love the play of kadri, and would hate to see the leafs trade him. And since they have no depth behind him, it seems unlikely that they would be willing to part with him unless they planned to put nylander at the 3c position and drop a nash into his spot with matthews.
But wouldnt a great up and coming 1a dman look great on this team with reilly.
And the cost a kadri, 1st and a prospect not named lilly. Kadri would be a first line center for a third of the teams in this league.

Be interesting how they spin gardiner walking away for nothing at the end of next season.
The reason they'd be OK with letting Jake Gardiner walk is because they're one of the top 3-4 Cup contenders in the league going in to next season.

If you think it's OK for contenders to trade picks or prospects for a rental at the deadline if they think they have a shot at the Cup, then why wouldn't it also make sense for the Leafs to just hang on to Jake Gardiner? Unless internal options prove to be better, or you can trade him for an upgrade (unlikely with a pending UFA), the Leafs are a stronger team going into the 2019 NHL Playoffs if they have Jake Gardiner instead of another couple of draft picks.

The wild card in the Leafs' cap situation is that Nathan Horton contract.

If they don't want Matthews & Marner's likely $3.7M worth of bonuses to roll on to next year's cap, they have to carry Horton's $5.3M on the books all year, plus set aside an additional $3.7M worth of cap space that they can't spend. But if they could get rid of Horton deal, that'd bump them up to having $9.25M to spend after signing Nylander & budgeting for the rookie bonuses, or about $13M to spend if you don't budget for the rookie bonuses this season.

we cannot go into a season trying to contend, with $15m in cap space.

Habs did it last year... oh wait.

Take a look at that roster zeke, we're the same or better than last season (100+ pts) - it's really not our fault for having such productive players on their rookie deals.

at least $12m.

giphy.gif

The wild card in the Leafs' cap situation is that Nathan Horton contract.

If they don't want Matthews & Marner's likely $3.7M worth of bonuses to roll on to next year's cap, they have to carry Horton's $5.3M on the books all year, plus set aside an additional $3.7M worth of cap space that they can't spend. But if they could get rid of Horton deal, that'd bump them up to having $9.25M to spend after signing Nylander & budgeting for the rookie bonuses, or about $13M to spend if you don't budget for the rookie bonuses this season.

Yep, but what would the cost be for that? Cap space trades aren't cheap and that's 2 years of 5.3M

Because the alternative is simply to not sign someone like Enstrom (who we don't need), and see where we're at later in the season when both the cap space stretches a lot further, and the possibility of bringing in someone on a multi year deal as a Hainsey or Gardiner replacement is there.

Right now our only real choice is the pay a meh veteran that we probably don't need. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Hey gm if the leafs have to carry hortons 5.3 million all season, why worry about the bonus overages?
Doesnt hortons contract come off the books at sonetine duri g the season? Just use that to pay the kids performance bonuses. Or maybe i am getting wrong.

The reason they'd be OK with letting Jake Gardiner walk is because they're one of the top 3-4 Cup contenders in the league going in to next season.

If you think it's OK for contenders to trade picks or prospects for a rental at the deadline if they think they have a shot at the Cup, then why wouldn't it also make sense for the Leafs to just hang on to Jake Gardiner? Unless internal options prove to be better, or you can trade him for an upgrade (unlikely with a pending UFA), the Leafs are a stronger team going into the 2019 NHL Playoffs if they have Jake Gardiner instead of another couple of draft picks.

Yep.

You only trade Gardiner if it provides an immediate solution to an area of need. I'm all for upgrading Jake but that is no mean feat. Maybe Dermott can fill in if they land a more stable RD. Still, that's a very hard trade to make.

Never mind just re read it.
So the leafs get penalized if they use the ltir with horton, and cant use this seasons money for the bonus overages of marner and matthews.
Maybe montreal would take the horton contract ialong with goat. He could be their new number 2 center and he is french.

Yep.

You only trade Gardiner if it provides an immediate solution to an area of need. I'm all for upgrading Jake but that is no mean feat. Maybe Dermott can fill in if they land a more stable RD. Still, that's a very hard trade to make.

But i just hate losing something for nothing.
That would be 2 possible first rounders in two years, the leafs would have missed out on aquiring. Jvr and gardiner

But i just hate losing something for nothing.
That would be 2 possible first rounders in two years, the leafs would have missed out on aquiring. Jvr and gardiner

You just don't make midseason holes in your lineup when you're a contender. First round picks for guys like this are coming from other playoff teams. They'll be low picks. Low first round picks take about 4-5 years on average to become NHL contributors, if they pan out (less than 50% chance).

I'm all for continuing to stockpile picks and feed the pipeline but you don't **** your chances to do this.

Back