• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

So, what's next?

zeke

While the future cap restraints are tight, we still have all sorts of caproom to make additions this year....so we know it's going to happen, it's only a matter of who and when?

So who is left available?

who do you want to sign?

who do you think we will sign?

Myself, even though he isn't a perfect fit, I'd love to see us land Enstrom on a reasonable deal. He was injury riddled last year but he's still been a very solid defensive dman in above average 2nd pair usage over the past couple of years. And he's the mobile puck moving type of dman (might be a good comp for Sandin, tbh). He tried to play through injuries in the playoffs last year and was disastrous, but he says that was broken ribs so that's probably not a permanent issue.

he's a lefty, so not ideal, but imo he'd be a very nice add.

2f227e8eb6e728d52a7f8ed328d05c3f.jpg

Have to think we are in the market for 1 veteran forward and at least 1 d-man. They were rumoured in on Maroon but you have think were looking at the 4th line C spot.

Enstrom would be a solid pickup. There really isn't anything too interesting on the FA market, and we will be at 48 contracts with Nylander so I'm not in any rush to sign anyone.

I would probably hold onto the cap space and see what shakes out of the trade/rental market throughout the season. If another McDonagh becomes available. They have cap space to spend, but they are actually better off not going into LTIR because Matthews and Marner will likely earn $3.7 mill in bonuses that will carry over to next year if we spend to the cap. Much easier to eat that this year then in 2019-20. However, to do that we cannot go into LTIR and have to fit in Horton's contract.

If Nylander gets $6-7 mill, that would leave us with about $3.5-4 million in cap space if you account for the bonuses. Thats plenty of money to add a big contract or two close to the deadline.

As of now:

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-Lindholm-Brown
Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick
Borgman/Marincin/Rosen-Holl/Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

Cap Space: $14.7 mill
Projected Nylander: $6-7 mill
Projected Bonuses: $3.7 mill
Projected Usable Cap Space: $3-4 mill

The only glaring need is upgrading Hainsey, so its just a matter of saving assets/cap space for that opportunity when it arises.

I'd like to combine a few of our depth pieces into a decent top 4 RHD to play with Rielly. Barring that i think we might just see a battle in camp for the dman spots. Who knows maybe Liljregren comes in and shows why he should've been a top 5 pick. Maybe Ozhiganov comes in and takes that #6/ Polak replacement/ PKer.

What do we have in Carrick? Is he done as a prospect? Have we ever tried him with Rielly? If i remember Carrick played good paired with Gardiner. Could be wrong here.

I still think Rick Nash ends up being that veteran looking for a short term deal Dubas was talking about.

Yeah, I don't think anything is "next" for the time being. They'll go with trying to fix 4C and RHD internally and save up assets and cap space for the deadline, see what's available at that time. We have enough intriguing pieces on the blueline, that I would be surprised if the answer to our RHD puck moving problems weren't (at least temporarily) in putting Dermott on the right.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Borgman-Zaitsev

Isn't bad if Dermott can pull it off without a big hit to his ability to drive possession play.

If there is another move to be made, I would guess it to be a trade for an overpaid vet on a short-term deal.

I highly highly doubt we go into the season with $15m of cap space.

There really doesn't look like a lot of good uses for 1 yr of cap space out there, and like LM pointed out, we don't have as much cap space as it appears unless you're willing to push any Marner-Matthews bonus money into next season's cap structure, which we shouldn't.

There really doesn't look like a lot of good uses for 1 yr of cap space out there, and like LM pointed out, we don't have as much cap space as it appears unless you're willing to push any Marner-Matthews bonus money into next season's cap structure, which we shouldn't.

highly highly doubt it.

and actually it would be pretty weak to go all in on Tavares and then punt on doing anything else in year 1.

How about Letestu for the 4C position? I find him intriguing, but curious what the advanced stats posse thinks of him because I can't say I've watched him enough.

Also, maybe it's just the prior good experience with the guy, but I wouldn't mind seeing Winnik sign a cheap one year deal with us. He was a gamer.

As for what's next, I think they must be looking into pulling off a trade where they move two or three lesser pieces for one better piece. Something involving a couple of wingers (I still don't believe Leivo plays for us this year), and a spare part or two, for a guy like Pesce. Maybe Kapanen, Leivo, and Carrick for Pesce. Something like that. And then they fill in the vacancies with a guy or two like Winnik, or maybe Jokinen.

highly highly doubt it.

and actually it would be pretty weak to go all in on Tavares and then punt on doing anything else in year 1.

It wouldn't be punting. I think they'd make a significant deadline day pick up. I would bet a fair amount that we're not going to be the ones using our 2019 1st.

Back