• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes Hire Dean Chynoweth As Assistant

Cool ... he's been around the bush a time or two, and I like that he's been a head coach.

his name is unusual , I wonder if he is Native American/First Nation? He was head coach in the WHL at the same time as Peters. He's coached every year but 1 since he retired as a player in 98 .

If you dropped his name on me all I could tell you about him is he played D for the Islanders. He was sort of a stay at home tough guy if I recall.

Its good to see he has extensive coaching experience since he retired as a player.

his name is unusual , I wonder if he is Native American/First Nation? He was head coach in the WHL at the same time as Peters. He's coached every year but 1 since he retired as a player in 98 .

I used to work with several people with a similar spelling of the same familial name. IIRC it's Dutch.

667 PIMs in 241 NHL games. That is 221 PIMs every 80 games. Not as prolific as his WHL days, but in the 90s if you were pushing 200 PIMs a season you were not out there just getting holding penalties.

His AHL/IHL PIMs were 843 in 229 Games (about 294 PIM per season pace).

None of that matters of course. Steve Smith wasn't exactly out there giving hugs during his NHL playing career, but none of the physical aggressive intimidation type stuff he was known for as a player came out in any of our Dmen really during his time here. While I would love to think that Chynoweth is going to try to get a few of our guys to maybe be a little less friendly out there in our Dzone, I don't think we can assume that how he played will rub off on our squad at all.

Last edited:
BTW the Facebook crowd HATES this hire. They see Chynoweth as a guy who has only coached on the staff of bad teams after being a mediocre player.

And if that's your criteria, then I'd contend that you will never hire anyone.

BTW the Facebook crowd HATES this hire. They see Chynoweth as a guy who has only coached on the staff of bad teams after being a mediocre player.

And if that's your criteria, then I'd contend that you will never hire anyone.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George succeeds by acting in the opposite manner of his instincts? That's how I generally feel about the opinions expressed on the Canes Facebook group.

Last edited:
Well, two problems: it's not a sexy, glamorous hire. And he's not a former Hurricane. So he must suck.

Meh...hopefully Chynoweth just follows directions like most assistants do...the Canes were not going to bring anyone sexy in at this point...it seems like the Smith departure was sudden and this hire just a warm body filler in a reactionary move. If Brindy does the job we all hope he does, the assistant coaches will just do what they are told to do and follow the plan set forth by the head coach.

Remember the Seinfeld episode where George succeeds by acting in the opposite manner of his instincts? That's how I generally feel about the opinions expressed on the Cane Facebook group.

Yup. If Facebook hates it, then it's generally a sound idea.

Nice picture on the Canes Site. Does the shadow show two faces and a warty nose? Too funny. https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/steve-smith-resigns-as-canes-assistant-coach/c-299444098

Meh...hopefully Chynoweth just follows directions like most assistants do...the Canes were not going to bring anyone sexy in at this point...it seems like the Smith departure was sudden and this hire just a warm body filler in a reactionary move. If Brindy does the job we all hope he does, the assistant coaches will just do what they are told to do and follow the plan set forth by the head coach.

smith hurricanes two faces.jpg

Last edited:
Back