• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Per Tweet Fom Luke...Kaiton Decides To Leave Canes

The fact that we are communicating this via an internet forum is proof enough that we are all over the age of 50. /high five!!

Fair. Although weird demographic pockets of broad age range message board activity do exist. Sports is one and so is travel.

Ausley was also the GM of WPTF for a while. He retired after 16 years doing play by play in 1990. The current guy Hahn has been there since then, 28 years and counting. Dornburg died fairly young of cancer in 98 he was in his 50s. He was at WPTF a long while , started while a NCSU student.

Gary Hahn called and requested that you remember his first name, seeing as he's been in the market for pushing 30 years :0)

Nice guy. Came here from Ohio State and was a neighbor of mine when my wife and I were in our first house in Cary.

Mr. Hahn has seen lots of coaches at NCSU given the order of the boot. In fact that number is so high it's almost near the number of women Trump paid to keep quiet . :)

I'm old enough to remember Duke hiring an obscure BB coach with a weird name that almost nobody could pronounce. Wonder what happened to him?

To be fair Duke FB and UNC FB have fired plenty of coaches too since 1990 .

I'm old enough to remember Duke hiring an obscure BB coach with a weird name that almost nobody could pronounce. Wonder what happened to him?

He never had a UNC BoG to worry about, like the other funny named guy who was hired the same year.

I'll wander back into this thread to add two items...

1. A number of you would be absolutely horrible at what I do for a living! It's not that your opinions are wrong--everyone is entitled to his or her own and there are no rights or wrongs--but rather that you feel the need to project those opinions and the behaviors of you and those you know to the population as a whole. The key to what I do as a media researcher is that I set my personal opinions aside and advise my clients what to do based on objective assessments of data. Otherwise, the music stations I work with would play a lot more Bruce Springsteen than they should if they want to attract a large audience!

It's fair to say that the participants on this board don't provide a good representation of the population as a whole. First, it's populated by passionate hockey fans, which in itself is a very narrow segment of the population. It's also overwhelmingly male and leans to the older side of the population. My instinct is that there is also very little representation of people of color and--of course--people with limited access to the Internet.

I talk to all kinds of people every day using proven techniques designed to gather opinions objectively. I know their beefs with commcercial radio--and believe me, there are many--but I also encounter tons of consumers who are passionate fans of the medium. They love personalities from Bob Dumas to Bonny Bones to Rush Limbaugh, they flock to the Top 40-artist-dominated live events put on by iHeartRadio and they interact with radio stations on social media and other digital platforms. If I had a dollar for every time a consumer told me he doesn't listen to the radio but then five minutes later commented on something he heard on the radio, I would be quite wealthy.

2. Ironically, today Nielsen released an updated report on the national reach of broadcast radio...

http://www.insideradio.com/the-late...cle_7e70bbda-948d-11e8-83b7-7bd568623bb1.html

You will note that the 92% figure for radio's weekly reach was reaffirmed. I'll also add that this is not the only type of research that has come up with that figure; we've seen that in the figures my company and some of our competitors have generated.

I'm not trying to convince all of you that you must embrace broadcast radio. If you don't care for it or harken back to what it offered back in the day, that's fine. But please don't tell me that a large portion of the work I do is for a dying medium; radio faces difficult challenges but I remain bullish on its long-term future.

Last edited:
I guess difficult challenges would include 2 of the biggest radio companies both in bankruptcy? Combined they both own over 1200 stations.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/media/iheartmedia-bankruptcy/index.html

92% does not matter when you can't turn a profit and/or have massive debt.

I am intimately familiar with this, especially since iHeartMedia is one of my biggest customers. The company's bankruptcy is the result of the massive debt that was loaded on to it in 2007 when private equity firms substantially overpaid to acquire the company. It has nothing to do with the fundamentals of their business; in fact, on an operating basis, iHeartMedia has been consistently profitable.

They will emerge from the bankruptcy process with a much more sensible capital structure.

Cumulus, the other company I imagine is referenced in the link you posted (but I did not read), emerged from bankruptcy in June.

Last edited:
What we need is to get rid of some of the mainstream news from radio and get more local. Sirius plays the same songs over and over. Best just turn it off and enjoy sovereign thoughts. Turning it all off. Awesome!

And that’s why this board is the calmest here.

Average age of the three busiest boards from youngest to oldest seems to be

Toronto
Montreal
Carolina

Although I’d venture that the average age on the Habs board is not that far off from here. Most are in their 40s and 50s with gusts up to the 70s.

At 75, I'm prob'ly the oldest of all around these parts and am pleased and proud to still be kickin' and still going strong! I plan on havin' a bunch more birthdays!

So as I like to put it, you’re 50... with 25 years seniority.

It's fair to say that the participants on this board don't provide a good representation of the population as a whole. First, it's populated by passionate hockey fans, which in itself is a very narrow segmentation of the population. It's also overwhelmingly male and leans to the older side of the population. My instinct is that there is also very little representation of people of color and--f course--people with limited access to the Internet.

Oh, God yes ... I hope we're all self aware enough to know that our grouchy hockey fan, mostly white, mostly male, mostly over 45 year old selves do NOT represent mainstream opinion about much of anything. Again, that's my hope. In reality we often forget what an echo chamber this board is and we express our opinions as if they represent large chunks of the general populace. Yeah ... they don't. I mean, if you left me to program playlists for a radio station ... umm ... my favorite American band barely sold any records when they were actually active in the 80s and 90s. That's going to end in crickets. I wouldn't even do the oldies right.

Honestly ... listen to the conversations in the PNC during Canes games and drop in on the Twitter and Facebook threads on Hurricanes topics sometime. Heck, we don't even represent mainstream opinion among fans of our own team. Sure, we point and call those people idiots, and act like the cool kids in the room, but ...

Honestly ... listen to the conversations in the PNC during Canes games and drop in on the Twitter and Facebook threads on Hurricanes topics sometime. Heck, we don't even represent mainstream opinion among fans of our own team. Sure, we point and call those people idiots, and act like the cool kids in the room, but ...

We are the cool kids in the room. :wink

I think the difference between us and many of the people on the various Twitter and Facebook threads is that most of us were hockey fans before the Hurricanes came to town and watch more hockey than just the Canes.

Back