• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Jeff Skinner as a Hurricane ... a reflection on promise squandered.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
DeCock did a bit of of a career retrospective on Skinner here:https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article215946110.html
I figured to write up my own take as a way of putting a bow on Skinner's time as a Hurricane. As you'll probably recall from my #freeskinner take in recent years, this will NOT be kind towards the club. If you don't want to hear any of that, well you've been forewarned.

Let's all go back to the start of the 2010-11 season ("please, could we?" I hear you) when a teenage scoring sensation, with ruddy cheeks and a ready smile forced his way onto the roster of what was still a decent Carolina Hurricanes team. A wizened Paul Maurice 2.0 was behind the bench and the Canes were only one season removed from having gone to the Eastern Finals. The previous season had been a frustrating stew of injuries and decline that saw the agonizing last hurrah for Captain Rod Brind'Amour, a 40 game season for Erik Cole and a frustrating 30 appearance season for Cam Ward. The Canes decided to go for offense in the first round of the draft that summer and found a pure goal scoring winger in Jeff Skinner, who had just managed a remarkable 20 goals in 20 playoff games for Kitchener in the OHL. He was confident, he was brash, he was a whirling dervish ... and on a team that was looking a bit old and stodgy he was a breath of fresh air. Carolina's goal totals had declined precipitously since the heights of 2006 and the kid made the final roster out of camp.

Maurice had been around this block before and knew better than to put too much responsibility on a teenager, so he carefully guarded Skinner's ice time. He was used in a support role in 5 on 5 situations, and Maurice tried to manage his shifts to keep him away from checking lines and thugs. In short, he flew .... right from the start. The kid was dynamic and better yet, he was ruthlessly efficient. He buried the puck from all angles and showed a real knack for finding rebounds in traffic. Carolina was hosting the All Star Game that year and at the break the Canes were sitting in pretty good shape. Eric Staal was bubbling along, and Cole was having a solid season in a bounce back year. Tuomo Ruutu was having perhaps his best year as a Hurricane and Jussi Jokinen was setting all of them up. On D, Joni Pitkanen and Tim Gleason were holding down the back end and Ward was playing well enough be named to the All Star team ... along with Staal and, almost shockingly, Jeff Skinner. Not that he wasn't on fire, because he was, but the NHL just didn't name many rookies to All Star teams back then. Clearly it was a bone thrown to the host city, but honestly Skinner deserved it more than Ward did. Sadly, after the high water mark in February the wheels fell off for the Canes. Even Skinner's 31 goal output wasn't enough to elevate their offensive production to where it needed to be. They missed the playoffs and went into another off season feeling like they were "that close" to being good.

Oh, if we had only known. The .555 winning percentage from that season was by far the best the Canes would muster for the rest of Skinner's time in Raleigh as bad coaching, poor roster building and concussions conspired to dim that 100 watt smile and wear down one of the most exuberant players I can ever recall watching in person. Skinner suffered his first concussion in 2011-12 and the team discovered that he, like seemingly a million other wingers, was ill suited to play with flagship center Eric Staal. The offense bogged down as Skinner's spark was dimmed and Maurice paid the professional price. Never much of an offensive strategist, Mo 2.0 gave way to the Captain Kirk era as Kirk Muller was hired; a decision that still puzzles me. He was clearly hired for the classic reasons (fix the power play! ... Staal hates Maurice) but was immature, inexperienced and just flat out the worst man manager possible. And with the leadership having transitioned away from the likes of Brind'Amour, Francis, Wesley, A Ward and Hedican to the likes of the Staal brothers, Pitkanen and Gleason ... the guys weren't capable of dragging themselves back from the brink the way the Maurice 1.0 teams did in the late 90s and early 2000s. Skinner's concussions and his lack of ability and interest in defensive responsibility meant that he would never again find a Hurricanes coach that was comfortable with him again. After the way Maurice was so visibly uncomfortable early in his career with such players as Sami Kapanen and Jeff O'Neill it's ironic that he was Skinner's only advocate as a coach. Frankly, it breaks my heart for the kid.

For me, that was the beginning of the end for Skinner. The point at which things changed. Muller's idiocy gave way to Bill Peters's stubbornness. Eric Staal was joined by and then gave way to Jordan Staal. Sebastian Aho emerged as the face of the team up front. Yet somehow Skinner still never "fit" on a first line; never seemed to be trusted as a "go-to guy" by the organization. Yeah, they gave him an A to wear on his sweater, but even that was couched in some ridiculous home and away rotation with some other guy. He had other concussion setbacks, but he also had those patented Skinner hot streaks when the goals came in HUGE bunches. He topped 30 goals twice more in the next 7 years and popped for more than 25 on two other occasions ... largely on teams that were fairly inept on offense. Yet through it all he found himself used in support roles, often with middling line mates, often on the second power play unit and growing visibly less joyful about it all. For the team, the losing continued like the NC heat in August. Oppressive. Ever present. Draining.

So, we come to the current time. Skinner made it fairly clear that he was going to be moving on when he became a free agent after the 2018-19 season and any Canes fan who feels cheated by him for that is being ridiculous. The man has endured enough on your behalf. The Hurricanes apparently decided that he had to go this summer for "culture" reasons and took the first port in a storm by offloading him like so much scuffed up luggage ... to Buffalo ... for next to nothing in return. They robbed him of even the dignity of bothering to get a good prospect for him and told the world that everyone would be better off this way. He'll be close to his home in Ontario and I'm sure his family will enjoy that. I hope he scores 50 this year. Free Skinner. Go on, son ... be free.

Last edited:
I hear the Radio Moscow 'dead commie blues' playing in my mind reading this.

I hear the Radio Moscow 'dead commie blues' playing in my mind reading this.

Normally fair enough, but I was listening to wistful Irish folk-grass when I wrote this. Prolly why it got a touch maudlin there at the end

Skinner's tenure here reminds me a lot of Geoff Sanderson in a lot of ways, actually... complete with a lack of playoff games. The 1997-98 season comes, Geoff lost his setup guy in Andrew Cassels in the Gary Roberts trade, didn't meet goal scoring expectations while Primeau and Kapanen became the new faces on a mediocre team in a new market, and ended up (after a brief stint in Vancouver) in Buffalo.

Yes, in that it certainly wasn't Sanderson's fault that his production fell off or that he felt lost and uprooted by the move. No, in that it happened so quickly and he was never embraced in NC the way he was in Hartford.

I could be wrong but I see Buffalo as nothing more than a 1 season, play close to home destination for Skinner with hopes he can pad his stats playing with Eichel before finding a long term UFA deal on July 1st.

I could even see Buffalo asking Skinner to waive his no move clause at the deadline if the Sabres are out of it, just to get something back...

Yeah ... probably. Skinner had a presser the other day and he was very gentle about the whole issue. He's in a town with actual hockey media now, plus the lower level Toronto hacks sometimes cover that market if they're bored. So the question isn't going away anytime soon.

I suspect he'll play it by ear. The Sabres are clearly in no hurry to make a run, but if they get hot or something they've got plenty of ammunition and cap space to gear up at the deadline. That might change Jeff's opinion on sticking around. I think brother just wanted out of here for a fresh start as much as anything else. I do seriously hope he rocks it out, no matter what happens. I'm serious about that. I want to see that smile back on his face.

Nicely done, JB. It's the kind of insightful treatment that I wish our media would perform. Luke DeCock gets it pretty close, but even he falls short on this one. Skinner indeed ignited a spark in this town and his grin was a supernova on a team that was desperately in need of a new star. I guess no one knows the toll those concussions took on him, but he was never the same player after them. We continued to see flashes of brilliance on the ice, but that it was becoming too sporadic too much of the time. I wish him much success and hope like hell that he doesn't score a hat trick when he plays against us.

Nicely done, JB. It's the kind of insightful treatment that I wish our media would perform. Luke DeCock gets it pretty close, but even he falls short on this one. Skinner indeed ignited a spark in this town and his grin was a supernova on a team that was desperately in need of a new star. I guess no one knows the toll those concussions took on him, but he was never the same player after them. We continued to see flashes of brilliance on the ice, but that it was becoming too sporadic too much of the time. I wish him much success and hope like hell that he doesn't score a hat trick when he plays against us.

Great point to ponder on the concussions and what impact that had on Skinner overall. I still fondly recall Skinner visiting my local North Raleigh barber off Creedmoor road back when he was in the midst of his third concussion and was a regular customer. He was far from that grinning, bushy tailed kid that had the world on a string by all accounts, that was a tough road for him to recover from and I agree that he was never the same player after the second and third one he had. It must be scary to think that you might be one more big hit and concussion away from being in terrible shape the rest of your life when you are still just 26 years of age.

Great point to ponder on the concussions and what impact that had on Skinner overall. I still fondly recall Skinner visiting my local North Raleigh barber off Creedmoor road back when he was in the midst of his third concussion and was a regular customer. He was far from that grinning, bushy tailed kid that had the world on a string by all accounts, that was a tough road for him to recover from and I agree that he was never the same player after the second and third one he had. It must be scary to think that you might be one more big hit and concussion away from being in terrible shape the rest of your life when you are still just 26 years of age.

I honestly feel that the concussions combined with the effect of having Muller followed by Peters pretty much sealed his fate here. There was no way those two idiots were ever going to get anything out of a purely offensive winger. EVERY other team in the league somehow manages to play hockey with one or two of those guys on the roster, no problem. But not here.

In 4 seasons under Peters, he went for 18, 28, 37 and 24 goals. The 2 middle years, he was -2 and -3, bookended by -24 and -27. His 204 goals since entering the league are 20th best over that period. But his -96 is by far the worst in that group, with only 3 others; Tavares, Kessel and Marleau as minus players. That -96 is also 4th worst in the league over that period, ahead of only Jeff Petry, Rasmus Ristolainen and...Justin Faulk. At some point, he has to take responsibility for his defensive shortcomings. He doesn’t have to lead the league in +/- but something closer to even should be achievable.

Correct and it's not like back checking is a hard skill to master. All you have to do is put your head down and skate like hell down to the other end of the rink. Defense is easy, just get yourself in position. But have to want to do it. I think that was Jeff's problem. He didn't want to do it.

Correct and it's not like back checking is a hard skill to master. All you have to do is put your head down and skate like hell down to the other end of the rink. Defense is easy, just get yourself in position. But have to want to do it. I think that was Jeff's problem. He didn't want to do it.

I dunno - defense and offense is a mindset. Sure it's easy, but you have to think that way and it sure looked to me that Jeff's issue was he didn't ever think that way. He always KNEW he was taking that puck and going in to score. That's why he was good offensively, but it's hard to ingrain defensive responsibility in that mindset, especially after you let him get away with it and once he has success with it.

Back