Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cmaleski2 View Post
    You can mix up those 12 in a whole lot of different ways.

I'm sure some people will voice some concern with Svech on that '4th' line, but those lines probably will get switched around a TON, especially coming off of Power Plays and Penalty Kills. So while that might be the way the 4 lines roll in Game 1 to start, there will be a lot of different looks coming off of PP and PKs. Our penalty killers and PP guys are scattered all over all of those lines. Every one of those lines has PP guys. And 3 of the 4 lines have PK guys.
    Totally agree CMal on the mix it up early and often...those lines seem odd when you consider the offensive possibilities of Svech alongside Necas and even Zykov on a line with Aho and Turbo. I know Roddy has been on record as saying he would not mind the muscle and grit of Ferland on a line with Necas and Svech as well.

Aho-Turbo-Zykov
    Staal-Williams-Foegele
    Necas-Svech-Ferland
    Wallmark-McGinn-Martinook

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Darling out for a couple of weeks MRI shows no major issues.

Also they are not sure they are going to recalling Ned, they are looking at other options.

Steve Mason is not signed , he's only 30. probably the best UFA option if they go that route.
    Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 10-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So play that out...we sign Mason or whoever.

They backup Mrazek for a couple of weeks, then Darling comes back.

We go ahead and waive our 2 week backup, they clear.

And then? We assign that 2 week backup to Charlotte where they become the #3 goalie who (hopefully) almost never plays there while Neds and Booth take all of the starts and Helvig splits time for the Everblades? Maybe we loan out that 2 week backup to some other AHL team? If you want to keep that '2 week backup' usable in the future if needed, you need him playing somewhere. If that is Charlotte then he isn't going to play much and Booth will have to go back to Florida and split time with Helvig.

I suspect Steve Mason would want absolutely nothing to do with that type of arrangement. My concern with bringing in 'another guy' is that I don't want him clogging up the works in our minor league system. I'm sure the powers that be are considering the potential impacts of bringing in another NHL goalie contract and what that potentially means after this 'emergency' is over.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaCanes View Post
    Totally agree CMal on the mix it up early and often...those lines seem odd when you consider the offensive possibilities of Svech alongside Necas and even Zykov on a line with Aho and Turbo. I know Roddy has been on record as saying he would not mind the muscle and grit of Ferland on a line with Necas and Svech as well.

Aho-Turbo-Zykov
    Staal-Williams-Foegele
    Necas-Svech-Ferland
    Wallmark-McGinn-Martinook
    Didn't Brindy talk about having pairs and then some flex for the third. The pairs seem like they may be

Aho-Turbo
    Staal-Williams
    Necas-Ferland
    Wallmark-Martinook

Then mix as needed for situations for the linemates

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boardwork View Post
    Didn't Brindy talk about having pairs and then some flex for the third. The pairs seem like they may be

Aho-Turbo
    Staal-Williams
    Necas-Ferland
    Wallmark-Martinook

Then mix as needed for situations for the linemates
    Yeah. That does seem to be where we're headed, as Brindy continues to look more like Laviolette in his approach than any other coach he's played for or coached under. Lavi loved the two-man tandems with the other slot mixed and matched to suit hot/cold streaks and opponents' strengths and weaknesses. Of course, what this roster is lacking is the ridiculous level of versatility that veteran forwards like Cullen, Stillman and even Kevyn Adams gave Lavi back in the Canes heyday.

I think those first three pairs will stick for awhile too. Aho and Turbo just flat out make each other better, while Staal and Williams simply suit each other in demeanor. Meanwhile Ferland is badly needed to provide some physical cover for the wispy Necas. The 4th line looks to be a collection plate for the near future. Which is fine so long as the loose parts can play a solid role of some sort ... both individually and collectively. It's nice to have a 4th line that can contribute at even strength on the regular, but if not then it's important that they give you something of value in other ways. That's do-able with this bunch, I think.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 10-02-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Canes Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I moved all the McElhinney posts to the thread that HeyKurtz started.

http://www.forumice.com/showthread.p...our-New-Goalie!

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

if you exclude Williams the average age of skaters is 23.8 , probably lowest in the league

also the Canes have signed a deal to use the new 2 ice rink place in Morrisville as their practice rinks for next season
    Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 10-02-2018 at 08:32 PM.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

no tickets for me yet . I guess they are going to make me pick them up on Thurs. which I am not happy about.

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

another Dundon article here , and my tickets should arrive today

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...219394450.html

Super-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

and yet another post from me:

local outdoor game could be a few years away:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...219394480.html

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112