• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Canes announce broadcast information for preseason. For the first time that I can remember, the pre-season games will be broadcast on the radio. The first 5 are on 99.9 The Fan, the last online only at WRALSportsFan.com. The home pre-season games will be broadcast on the Canes website. The game at Nashville will be on Fox Sports Carolinas. As previously noted, the Traverse City tournament will be broadcast on the Fox Sports app.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-announce-preseason-broadcast-info/c-299957294

Nice, just in time to not have Chuck do the radio. I will be listening or streaming, I've already exchanged my preseason tix and cannot make the Sept 30th game (someone in my family will be representing).

And we have the first ticket discount of the season. The Family Vaule packs are available for 4 games from a choice of 8 including opening night and the last home game. The other 6 games are Western Conference teams, 2 each on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. All packs are 4 tickets with a $10 food credit per seat, per game. The tickets are priced higher than full STM prices but lower than 11 or 22 game plans.

Shoot Twice Goal Zone - $130, $40 discount, effective price $22.50 each. Full STM $22, 22 game $26, 11 game $28
Terrace Value - $180, $40 discount, effective price $35. $32/$38/$42
Lower Level North - $300, $40 discount, effective price $65. $51/$70/$74

Hockey News article on '5 players on the verge of true NHL stardom' (there is a Canes player on the list):

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/five-players-who-are-on-the-verge-of-true-nhl-stardom

Sportnet article (brief) quoting Dougie Hamilton:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/hurricanes-dougie-hamilton-flames-defence-didnt-turn-good/

Note that article also links Dougie Hamilton's media day video which might be more interesting:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/media-day-dougie-hamilton/t-277437094/c-60896903

Canes announce broadcast information for preseason. For the first time that I can remember, the pre-season games will be broadcast on the radio. The first 5 are on 99.9 The Fan, the last online only at WRALSportsFan.com. The home pre-season games will be broadcast on the Canes website. The game at Nashville will be on Fox Sports Carolinas. As previously noted, the Traverse City tournament will be broadcast on the Fox Sports app.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-announce-preseason-broadcast-info/c-299957294

Probably using it to work on the simulcast.

Should be a nice, spirited battle for a forward roster spot or two in training camp...I would love to see one of a handful of these young players on the cusp like Foegele, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Saarela or Roy make it hard on Roddy to send them down with a great camp.

If you count Aho, Teuvo, J.Staal, Williams, McGinn, Rask, Ferland, Svech, Necas and Zykov as virtual forward locks, that leaves the likes of Martinook, PDG, Wallmark and maybe Maenalanen trying to secure a fourth line spot with the youngsters all pushing them hard.

I'd be pretty shocked if Martinook isn't on the Opening Night roster. They won't pay a guy $1.85 million to play in Charlotte.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty shocked if Martinook isn't on the Opening Night roster. They won't pay a guy $1.85 million to play in Charlotte.

Martinook was the salary trade off in the Kruger trade so he likely becomes the fourth line grinder or healthy extra in the press box on the Canes based on his pay grade...but Foegele seems like a cheaper, younger big bodied winger for the fourth line with more upside.

Martinook was the salary trade off in the Kruger trade so he likely becomes the fourth line grinder or healthy extra in the press box on the Canes based on his pay grade...but Foegele seems like a cheaper, younger big bodied winger for the fourth line with more upside.

I guess I should have qualified my statement. If Martinook is still Canes' property when the season starts, I expect him to be playing on our fourth line on a regular basis.

normally the last few cuts are rookies going back to Charlotte so maybe that changes this season, they could try to move or waive a vet instead.

Geekie and Gauthier with a couple quick goals out of the gate, 2-0 Baby Canes in Traverse City. Gauthier's goal a PP marker with a nice assist from Svech.

While we wait for the second period in today's game, I was surprised to find a pretty good box score for yesterday's Canes vs. Blues game.

Among those drawing praise for the 4-1 win was Helvig, who was solid, consistent, and even athletic at times, even though not his usual game per observers, usually relying more on size and position than athleticism, which is more Ned's show. Only goal scored against Helvig was legit and from a cross-ice pass on a broken play rush.

However, it wasn't until I saw Helvig's 0.889 SV% on another box score card that I realized the shot totals were so low for both sides. 10 for the Canes and only 9 for the Blues. That's a 0.600 SV% for their goalie.

Could just be the scorekeeper, but that's some low shot totals for both teams. However, goal support from the offense let Helvig's 8 saves on 9 shots look a heck of a lot better than that box score indicates.

I think they missed a few.

I don't think those shot totals are right. You could see the scoreboard and near the end of the 2nd period both teams were well into double digits...the Blues had more than 20 shots at that point.

Back