• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

training camp is still on but closed to public this weekend due to the storm. probably not many people would show up anyway.

Not that many people show up at the best of times. The most I can ever recall was Cole's rookie year when the club made a big deal out of playing up a huge number of prospects and conducted a daily open scrimmage. And that drew maybe 500-750 to the arena.

The training camp roster is out. There will be 50 players at camp, the previously announced Michal Cajkovsky is the only non-roster invitee, none of the rookie camp invitees were invited to the big camp.

Camp was supposed to open on Friday, Florence will have something to say about it.

http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/300059448/binary-file/file.pdf

Sounds like Pesce is still dealing with an upper body concern...I know he had surgery late last season but it sounds like he is one of the only players yet to show up in Raleigh.

Sounds like Pesce is still dealing with an upper body concern...I know he had surgery late last season but it sounds like he is one of the only players yet to show up in Raleigh.

That could well be a factor in why the Canes have held onto Faulk. Sounds like Pesce will be darned lucky to be ready for opening night. Forget training camp.

due to the storm they start on ice practice Thurs. afternoon and will take Friday or Sat. as an off day. Physicals are Thurs. AM

Re: 2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Rask out indefinitely after injuring himself in the kitchen. This is not a HockeyPat joke.

Rask out indefinitely after injuring himself in the kitchen. This is not a HockeyPat joke.

Looks like Necas is now a lock for opening night roster? Did Rask actually chop his two fingers off? That sucks and I hope he is ok.

a lot of home cuts come from trying to cut a bagel. Because of that, there are devices you can buy that hold the bagel while you cut it.

Looks like Necas is now a lock for opening night roster? Did Rask actually chop his two fingers off? That sucks and I hope he is ok.

No clue on the second question, but barring an injury of his own I think Necas was always pretty much a lock for the opening night roster.

Lucas Wallmark's chances of making the Canes out of camp just went up substantially

With all due respect to Wallmark, he sucks for the most part. I know Rask was no poster boy for great hockey last year, but Wallmark is a smallish, fourth line/extra warm body type at best. This team can never catch a break it seems unless it’s a broken bone...
Give me Roy over Wallmark as a plug in center for Rask for the interim.

The 4th line is exactly the role that Rask was headed for though, so Wallmark playing there shouldn't impact us much.

Zykov-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Staal-Svechnikov
Ferland-Necas-Williams
Martinook-Wallmark-PDG

I don't see that much of a difference between Rask and Wallmark when it comes to 4th line minutes. Who knows, maybe Roy steals that spot instead because of his PK abilities.

The 4th line is exactly the role that Rask was headed for though, so Wallmark playing there shouldn't impact us much.

Zykov-Aho-Teravainen
McGinn-Staal-Svechnikov
Ferland-Necas-Williams
Martinook-Wallmark-PDG

I don't see that much of a difference between Rask and Wallmark when it comes to 4th line minutes. Who knows, maybe Roy steals that spot instead because of his PK abilities.

If we have lowered the expectations on Rask to fourth liner at best moving forward then that might be the most expensive fourth line center in the league! I get where you are coming from on Wallmark but he just does not seem to have the upside that Roy might have when you look at their size and strength at the NHL level. Wallmark has been dinged up quite a bit on most of his short NHL stints to date.

Where did you see Rask playing this season if not on the 4th line? Frankly I think his roster spot was in jeopardy to begin with before he got hurt but he definitely wasn't going to slot ahead of any of those players I listed in the top 9 above. His salary has nothing to do with it, Brindy isn;'t going to reward his floating and lack of give a crap. I was expecting him at best to play on our 4th line and up the lineup if needed, at worst he is press box, waivers, eat some of his salary trade for little to nothing in return. I had Rask at 50/50 to make the roster to start with. Skinner wasn't the only guy out there who wasn't 'earning his ice time'.

As for who takes that roster spot, Wallmark has the inside track as he is not waivers exempt, but I expect the Canes to put the best option there that doesn't stunt someone's development with the lack of minutes that spot might get. Wallmark makes the most sense to me, but really if we are considering all options for real then he certainly isn't guaranteed that roster spot either. Wallmark quite frankly could end up as useless as Marcus Kruger was, but he has averaged a point a game in the minors, so there is some skill there.

Last edited:
Rask sliced the 4th and 5th fingers- the pinky and ring finger area. That’s a nerve rich area with the ulnar nerve there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back