• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Re: 2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Sept. Michigan prospect tourney roster , most recent draft picks will be there :

http://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/299709896/binary-file/file.pdf

20 skaters but some of them were never drafted/signed by the Canes.

2 goalies but only Helvig is a draft pick

Woah ... looks we're going to have a LOT of camp invitees this year. This roster is generally an indication of that and the most invitees I can recall in recent years is more like two or three ... not EIGHT

6th round pick Mattheos scored 90 pts. last season in junior. Never heard much from him. I know some of these guys flame out after they get picked or in the AHL.

Maybe Dudley is the guy who wants to invite all the extra players?

Also one of the players was born in Israel. Wonder how many NHLers were born there.

Yeah ... that sounds like a Dudley thing, honestly. He's always been big on long shot guys. And look, no harm no foul on that kind of thing. I just don't want to see them overly complicate Brindy's first training camp as lead dog. We've got a LOT riding on this being a good camp.

Woah ... looks we're going to have a LOT of camp invitees this year. This roster is generally an indication of that and the most invitees I can recall in recent years is more like two or three ... not EIGHT

I think this is influenced by the fact that a lot of the kids we have drafted recently are college kids. NONE of them are participating in this tournament. I don't think all of those kids are going to be at Canes camp...note they distinguished between a Camp invitee and just a vanilla invitee. I'm assuming a vanilla invitee was just asked to participate in the practices and this tournament where only Mario Culina and Mitch Eliot are actually invitees to the Canes training camp.

Yeah ... that sounds like a Dudley thing, honestly. He's always been big on long shot guys. And look, no harm no foul on that kind of thing. I just don't want to see them overly complicate Brindy's first training camp as lead dog. We've got a LOT riding on this being a good camp.

I guess they could have invited some of the others from the 2015 draft class. Only Nic Roy is there but Smallman and Lorentz presumably could have played. The 2016 class has all the eligible draftees; Elynuik and Carroll didn't sign, the rest have college eligibility. The 2017 class had 3 Finns and a college player, the 2018 draft had 2 college players, a Finn and a Swede. None of the international players aside from Necas and Svechnikov are on the roster. Of all the invitees on the roster, it looks like only Mitch Eliot and Mario Culina will be invited to the big camp, they're noted as "Camp Invitee". Riley Bruce and Theo Calvas are out of junior eligibility and they're big, right shot dmen who could get a contract with Charlotte.

Re: 2018-19 Pre-Season Thread

That isn't the strongest D I've seen us ice in that tournament. Forward mix sure looks fantastic....

2017 Tourney had 4 Camp Invitee's

Where is Warren Foegele?

Attachments

• Canes Tourney 2017.jpg
    Canes Tourney 2017.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 14

That isn't the strongest D I've seen us ice in that tournament. Forward mix sure looks fantastic....

We haven’t drafted a lot of dmen in the last 4 drafts. Since none of the international players are coming, Bean and De Jong are the only guys. Massie and Martin are still in college.

A lot of centers, 3 rws and 1 lw.
A lot of size also.

A lot of centers, 3 rws and 1 lw.
A lot of size also.

Things that need to start trending in our development program in general ... more honest to God centers, more size.

Following up on the centers thing .... I went back and looked at the 12 years since we won the Cup in 2006. The following list represents the centers the Canes actually drafted, played at center at least most of the time, and played a significant amount of more that one season.

E Staal, Vasicek, B Sutter, Dalpe (kinda, sorta for one year before we moved him to wing), Riley Nash, Lindholm and Rask. Of that group only Staal and Rask were ever in the top four point producers on the team for a whole season. Staal repeatedly, Rask twice. Vasicek, Sutter and Lindholm could at least have been considered centers in the core group of forwards for the bulk of their time with the Canes. Dalpe and Nash were depth players for the most part.

So. One All Star, and a smallish handful of decent two way guys. Underwhelming, at best. Not as pitiful as our record over the same period with goalies, but underwhelming none the less.

Last edited:

Making it worse, we didn't draft Riley Nash. Edmonton did, we traded a 2nd round pick for him (46th overall in 2010). He left Cornell and signed an entry level contract after that trade (I suspect he was threatening the Oilers with playing his senior year at Cornell to become a full UFA).

I would only give us partial credit for Riley Nash because of that.

No question that a good part of the non-playoff malaise that has plagued this team is simply not having the horses to get the job done.

From weak center depth down the middle to over-slotted NHL/AHL tweener's on the wings for the forwards, no legit defensemen to speak of until we got lucky with third and fourth rounders, to Cam and some shaky back-up in goal, we just haven't deserved to be in the playoffs, much less compete in a tough division like the Metro.

Have seemingly fixed the defense, but still look shallow in the forward ranks, particularly on the left wing side and down the middle.

And goaltending? Still a work in progress.

We're getting there, but trading a right-shot defenseman (presumably Faulk) for a top-6 left wing would certainly help balance things out a bit, especially if we have thoughts of moving Aho from LW to center...like we should.

Last edited:

Foegele would have been one of the oldest players there (he's 22). Michael Fora is older but is a true North American rookie pro. I suspect that the Canes consider Foegele as aged out of playing in this tournament. He will turn 23 before this coming season ends.

Last edited:

Foegele would have been one of the oldest players there (he's 22). Michael Fora is older but is a true North American rookie pro. I suspect that the Canes consider Foegle as aged out of playing in this tournament. He will turn 23 before this coming season ends.

Foegele is in an odd position. He was drafted out of a high school program in Ontario and went to New Hampshire for 1 year and change before leaving for the OHL. He only played 2 years in junior but was 21 when his last season ended. Like Kuokkanen and Nic Roy, he’s only had 1 pro season. I’m still a little surprised that Smallman and Lorentz aren’t playing, especially since Smallman missed most of the season after being injured before Florida’s season started and only played 14 regular season games.

That is a good point on Smallman. I can see Foegele not playing because he is older and pretty much established himself as top end pro prospect with a pretty dominating rookie season in the AHL. But Smallman almost missed an entire season last year, his only pro season. He would have been a solid candidate for this tournament. Dunno what the answer is to that question.

Making it worse, we didn't draft Riley Nash. Edmonton did, we traded a 2nd round pick for him (46th overall in 2010). He left Cornell and signed an entry level contract after that trade (I suspect he was threatening the Oilers with playing his senior year at Cornell to become a full UFA).

I would only give us partial credit for Riley Nash because of that.

Ugh. I forgot that. Based on my criteria we get no credit for Nash because I was only looking at actually Canes draft picks and discounting anyone signed or traded in.

Back