• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Pre-Season Thread

Re: 2018-19 Pre-Season Thread

That is a good point on Smallman. I can see Foegele not playing because he is older and pretty much established himself as top end pro prospect with a pretty dominating rookie season in the AHL. But Smallman almost missed an entire season last year, his only pro season. He would have been a solid candidate for this tournament. Dunno what the answer is to that question.

Remember ... new crew in charge. Nobody ever comes right out and details the team's objectives in these development camps or tournaments. We have to judge the agenda over time. Francis pretty clearly used this tournament as a statement of organizational strength and generally ginned up a strong roster trying to win the thing. Detroit tends to do that too, being the ersatz hosts. Dudley is likely pulling the strings on this stuff now as the development guy, and for all we know he's looking to audition guys for specific openings in the organizational chart and not looking big picture at all. Time will tell ... presuming Dudley is here long enough to fill the book.

Pre-season hockey in less than 1 month. First game in Tampa on 9/18, first home game against Tampa on 9/19. Extra tickets for STM are available today through Caniac Account Manager. Individual game tickets for non-STM go on sale Wednesday.

I am happy to report that all CAM features seem to be working ok this morning. I was able to exchange tickets, exchange vouchers, get at the season tix holder appreciation discounts, and buy extras for Gold games at my full season tix holder pricing.

I am at least moderately happy to report that they FINALLY appear to have sold the seats next to me ... after 5 long years or rotating through opposing fans.

I was hoping they wouldn't sell the seats next to mine, but looks like the 4 seats to my left are full season tix this season. Not really different from my situation last year so doesn't matter much, but for the 30ish games that all 4 of us go to it will mean being split apart again 2 and 2. Kids actually seemed to prefer that so its all good.

I can definitely see that the LLN has more full season tix sold this season than last looking at the availability at the moment. I suspect the 'Pure Hockey Pricing' was a factor there. I would much prefer being surrounded by full Canes season tix members so hopefully the newcomers are bringing their Canes gear.

I was hoping they wouldn't sell the seats next to mine, but looks like the 4 seats to my left are full season tix this season. Not really different from my situation last year so doesn't matter much, but for the 30ish games that all 4 of us go to it will mean being split apart again 2 and 2. Kids actually seemed to prefer that so its all good.

I can definitely see that the LLN has more full season tix sold this season than last looking at the availability at the moment. I suspect the 'Pure Hockey Pricing' was a factor there. I would much prefer being surrounded by full Canes season tix members so hopefully the newcomers are bringing their Canes gear.

Oh absolutely. I'm fine with whomever so long as they're locals who intend to root for the home team. I'm absolutely sick of sitting next to Pens, Rangers, Islanders, Sabres, Bruins and whatever fans all the time. Some of them are quite well behaved but that's more than made up for by the drunken louts who just want to beat their chests and make a nuisance of themselves for 2.5 hours. Which describes every Bruins fan bar one that I've been stuck with for the last 5 years since we lost my seat neighbors.

I got an email from the Canes this morning.

My tickets have shipped. Oh, happy day!

Last week I got my ID Card (which also has my season tickets - first time for me to do this electronically) and my paper parking passes. Nice box, but no gifts inside for STMs, unless you want to consider 4 lanyards as swag.

Last week I got my ID Card (which also has my season tickets - first time for me to do this electronically) and my paper parking passes. Nice box, but no gifts inside for STMs, unless you want to consider 4 lanyards as swag.

Also no room to store the parking passes in the box. I'll just use last year's box when my paper tickets arrive next week. Despite all of the positive experience with digital ticketing at concerts and plays, my wife won't convert our paper Canes tickets to digital.

I'm with your wife, Andy. I stayed paper. While the SNAFUs are not as frequent but when they happen are time consuming. I still have a land line, too!

I spotted my first Hurricane player for the season last night. Saw Svechnikov at the same restaurant where I was having dinner. He walked by my table and while he looked familiar, I was unable to immediately place him. The restaurant manager confirmed it was our Russian. He's a tall, lean, solidly built guy, but he looked his age and could use a bit more man muscle. Apparently, he stopped in for dinner on his way to a team meeting...

Saw a couple of the Cane's Traverse City tournament games posted on the Fox Sports Go app over the weekend and went looking for the rest since their schedule didn't go past Saturday:

Friday (9/7): Blues vs. Canes 3:30 PM

Saturday (9/8): Canes vs. Blackhawks 3:00 PM

Sunday (9/9): Looks like a practice day since only morning practice rink times are posted

Monday (9/10): Bluejackets vs. Canes 7:00 PM

Tuesday (9/11): Tournament games for places (2 in the afternoon and 2 in the evening)

They gave Rask the letter two years ago and he certainly didn't wear it last season. Based on Faulk's play, I could see him go without a defined leadership role. Just as long as we don't see that rotating/shared crap again...

Should be a nice, spirited battle for a forward roster spot or two in training camp...I would love to see one of a handful of these young players on the cusp like Foegele, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Saarela or Roy make it hard on Roddy to send them down with a great camp.

If you count Aho, Teuvo, J.Staal, Williams, McGinn, Rask, Ferland, Svech, Necas and Zykov as virtual forward locks, that leaves the likes of Martinook, PDG, Wallmark and maybe Maenalanen trying to secure a fourth line spot with the youngsters all pushing them hard.

Back