• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

While people are saying I am underrating Vegas, I think people on here are underrating Edmonton and Calgary.

I dunno man, look ing at the oilers, aside from mcdavid and i guess drai, I'm not sure even one other slot on the roster is filled by a guy even average for that slot.

If Schmidt, McNabb, and Marchessault are legit good and repeat last year then Vegas will be good again. And I’m not sure those at e big ifs. Karlsson won’t score as much, but I think Stansty and Pax upgrade the second line.

I dunno man, look ing at the oilers, aside from mcdavid and i guess drai, I'm not sure even one other slot on the roster is filled by a guy even average for that slot.
If Draisaitl actually plays center this year instead of the wing, RNH would definitely be a well above-average third line center.

He'd be an average-at-best second line center, though.

As for the rest of the roster---agreed.

Not awful, but they'll still be paying him top-line forward money from ages 31-34.

So they'd better hope he ages gracefully.

That contract could look fugly in years 3 and 4, but he should provide pretty good value on the front end. Still don't really like the deal for Vegas, but patience and McPhee never really got along all too well.

That contract could look fugly in years 3 and 4, but he should provide pretty good value on the front end. Still don't really like the deal for Vegas, but patience and McPhee never really got along all too well.

It dives down to 5.25M for each of those years, which in real dollar terms won't even be fugly by that point. If Marleau can still make 6M a year at age 38, Pacs making 5.25 in his age 32/33 seasons is really not bad.

it might not be a bargain but unlikely it is fugly

cap will keep going up and max does not play a physical game

Great trade for Montreal. And not bad for Vegas, it's an overpay but that extension comes in at a reasonable price and will help them win now.

Good hockey trade, boys.

What are the chances all those guys play like that again/

They don't need to play "like that" to be a good team. Don't be shocked if Karlsson, Haula & Fleury all put up strong seasons that aren't as good as last year, but are still good.

Additionally, you still refuse to accept the other point I made last time this topic came up. The ridiculous goalie carousel that they were forced into using due to injury last year. As unlikely as Karlsson scoring 40 again is, it's equally as unlikely that they're forced to use their 3rd through 5th goalies for a quarter of the season and receive .870 goaltending over that period.

They've also added Stastny, who is a very good #2 centre, and Holden, who is a good #4 defender. They have a strong top 9 forward group (even with regressions taken into account) and an improved blueline (Holden plus the growth of Shea Theodore & Colin Miller).

They're a good hockey team. Maybe not 109 points good. But 100 points? In that weak ass conference? yeah.

Back