• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Haha, Tim ****ing Brent. Now there's a name I'd like to forget.

As for the issue at hand...I'm a meat eater, and I'd prefer a painful death to having to switch permanently to a vegan or vegetarian diet. So as much as hunting is an activity I have no interest in participating in, I recognize that it'd be hypocritical for me to issue any blanket condemnation of hunting. Plenty of animals have died and will die in the future for my sake.

That being said, I'd definitely draw a distinction between hunting animals with large populations who's meat you actually intend to eat, and trophy-hunting large animals from smaller/endangered populations with the intention of leaving most of the animal to rot, because killing them with a high-powered rifle makes you feel better about having a small penis, and because you'd like a nice photo/trophy to hang on your wall.

Death threats are totally uncalled for, but the latter type of hunter fully deserves to be mocked, criticised and shit on, IMO. Particularly the shitty rich bastards that fly off to less developed parts of the world with lax conservation laws in order to kill elephants, lions, etc.

pretty much agree with this all

i will add that hunting seems super boring to me so i do not have to worry about it

I'm all over the map on hunting. Yeah, I eat meat so like leafgm, I can't be all hypocritical.

I also think that hunting for fun is weird, but I understand it...even though if you really think about it, all those primitive people that had to kill to live, and kill things that could kill you..again...to live...every single one would trade in that spear for a trip down the meat aisle.

I don't agree with the death threats Brent is getting but hunting for sport just seems so unnecessary and cruel and I hate seeing the trophy pictures. Just feel like we should be past that. I get hunting for meat and skins, even though that is also unnecessary now, as that is going back to our roots but killing other predators or animals you don't plan on using...I think it's wrong.

even though if you really think about it, all those primitive people that had to kill to live, and kill things that could kill you..again...to live...every single one would trade in that spear for a trip down the meat aisle.

Well we did.

Factory farming is pretty horrific though. Not sure I could actually pull the trigger, but from an ethical perspective I don't have a problem with hunting if you use the animal. And I like the idea of having a freezer full of elk steaks.

Hunting is terrible. And people use terrible excuses like it's necessary blah, blah, blah. You want to be a big man and kill innocent animals. **** you.

That said, I would never make a death threat over this. It's like screaming and throwing paint on a woman wearing a fur coat. Ridiculous.

I am now down to fish only, so I guess I am still a little hypocritical. Red Meat is really bad to eat.

I don't agree with the death threats Brent is getting but hunting for sport just seems so unnecessary and cruel and I hate seeing the trophy pictures. Just feel like we should be past that. I get hunting for meat and skins, even though that is also unnecessary now, as that is going back to our roots but killing other predators or animals you don't plan on using...I think it's wrong.

well....he was not very good at hockey....so.....

i kid i kid

the internet though - death threats are par for the course

Hunting is terrible. And people use terrible excuses like it's necessary blah, blah, blah. You want to be a big man and kill innocent animals. **** you.

That said, I would never make a death threat over this. It's like screaming and throwing paint on a woman wearing a fur coat. Ridiculous.

I am now down to fish only, so I guess I am still a little hypocritical. Red Meat is really bad to eat.

fishing is much more enjoyable

you can "hunt" and let the fish go after

I'm fine with hunting if you're going to use the meat. It's also needed for population control in alot of areas. Like I said in another thread - wolves and cougars aren't coming back to southern Ontario so unless people want to hit a deer every time they venture outside the GTA, it's kind of necessary.

Killing some low-remaining-pop predator so you can post on Instagram is bullshit though. All these guys crow about how they do more for conservation than anyone as well. Ya killing one of the 20,000 remaining lions in the world makes you a real nature lover.

There is no place for trophy hunting.

Subsistence hunting is fine, there is a licensing regime for that.

But no one should be out shooting grizzlies to hang over their fireplaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm fine with hunting if you're going to use the meat. It's also needed for population control in alot of areas. Like I said in another thread - wolves and cougars aren't coming back to southern Ontario so unless people want to hit a deer every time they venture outside the GTA, it's kind of necessary.

Killing some low-remaining-pop predator so you can post on Instagram is bullshit though. All these guys crow about how they do more for conservation than anyone as well. Ya killing one of the 20,000 remaining lions in the world makes you a real nature lover.

This is a good summary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Dorion interview >>>>

You get people like that and results like their trades when you pay cheap.
Ottawa is so ****ed right now. And it will only get far, far worse. Melnyk is going to lose so much money this year. I question if he can afford to pay the cap floor next year without getting in real financial trouble.

can't wait for volume 2 of Melnyk's Late Night Fern Chat, wherein he will discuss with host Mark Borowiecki the franchise-lifting giveaway of Mark Stone for a couple draft picks and a half eaten sub.

I remember the night they lost to the Pens in game 7. They had to win that game. That was their only shot for a very loooong time.

Ottawa is so ****ed right now. And it will only get far, far worse. Melnyk is going to lose so much money this year. I question if he can afford to pay the cap floor next year without getting in real financial trouble.

Apparently Stone wants out as well.

Sens seem to draft and develop well. If those guys have not left yet somebody should scoop them up.

heh I wonder if Melnyk would be interested in obtaining that awful contract Benning signed (Eriksson). Though he has a cap hit of $6 million until the end of the 2021/22 season (jeebus, did Benning just photocopy David Clarkson's contract and insert Eriksson's name on it?) it's somewhat front-end loaded with bonuses. If for example, he is dealt after this season & after the Canucks pay out his scheduled bonus for the 19/20 season ($4 million) his salary will only be $1 million. He'll be paid (bonus & salary) $4 million for each the remaining two years on his deal.

Last edited:
That Dorion interview >>>>
Yeah, that was comedy gold.

I mean, "name one thing about your organization that makes you optimistic at the moment" would be a softball question for 99% of the GM's in pro sports. From Dorion, it made the smile drop right off his face, elicited a thousand yard-stare, his mouth opening and closing like a fish for a couple of seconds before he blurts out "uhh...we're a team."

omorn2g.gif

Yeah, that was comedy gold.

I mean, "name one thing about your organization that makes you optimistic at the moment" would be a softball question for 99% of the GM's in pro sports. From Dorion, it made the smile drop right off his face, elicited a thousand yard-stare, his mouth opening and closing like a fish for a couple of seconds before he blurts out "uhh...we're a team."

omorn2g.gif

he might have been thinking about which of the following options to say

a) nothing - our owner is batshit crazy
b) i do not have to deal with hoffman and hot karl off ice issues
c) my paycheck....hopefully
d) we are a team

I think it was Tim and Sid that called the Melnyk "interview" his "Between Two Ferns interview". Classic.

For all the crazy things that Melnyk said in his video, that Dorion interview says so much more...

Last edited:
Back