• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Karlsson is a better bet to stay in San Jose than Kawhi is in Toronto me thinks, and i kinda like the Raps chances to keep him.

Yeah. It's pretty similar calculus in both cases. In Kawhi's case, there's really only a few other teams that if persistent rumours are to be believed (prefers California), fit the bill, with the Raptors being able to offer the most money. If it's a nice fit, they've got a great shot at keeping him.

With Karlsson, there are only a small handful of teams that fit two criteria that are thought to be important to him 1) Contender or potential contender 2) Cap space to sign him. St Louis, Boston, Dallas, SJ, Vegas, and kinda maybe sorta Toronto (the math works but barely) are the only teams that appear on the surface to work, without major cap shedding moves to be made to get him in.

After spending a year in the Bay area, I don't see him being in a huge rush to head back to Canada, or give up warm weather summers (those markets don't tend to lose key players often, do they?). SJ is also the only team that can offer the 8th year and tbh, had NYI not been a shit show, that likely would have been a huge determining factor in the JT sweeps.

SJ has been a pretty solid org, which is why I don't agree that they're heading to the cliff that a lot of people seem to think they're heading towards. Of course, I do think they massively overpaid for Kane, and Burns' and Vlasic's deals are going to look mighty ugly in 3-4 years from now too. Jones should give them steady production in nets, although they do still likely need a solid breakout from one of their young forwards to really make that push. And obviously, they need to actually perform in the playoffs, which has been their flaw for their entire team history. At the very least, it should be a lot of fun watching Burns-Karlsson out there controlling the play on the back-end. With those 2, they barely even need a 3rd pair RD, and can literally have one or the other out there for virtually every minute of the game.

SJ has a history of turning out good depth to keep the team moving forward. They're also aggressive about acquiring top talent when it comes available. I feel like people were saying the same things about the Sharks a few years ago about the impending demise of Thornton/Marleau. Well here we are with Marleau in Toronto for nothing, and Thornton a shadow of himself and they were still a 100 point team. Yeah, Pavelski and Burns are the next to decline, but they've just aggressively gone out and gotten Karlsson, who will blunt any effect that a declining Burns would have had. Don't be shocked if internal improvements from the Hertl, Meier, Labanc group do the same for whem Pavelski slows down. I'm also higher on the Evander Kane add than I think just about anyone else on the board is, dude is a good hockey player. He just needs to stay healthy and 30/60 with really good two way play isn't a stretch.

Nice little bit of good news in our division: Tampa Bay put defenseman Jake Dotchin on unconditional waivers yesterday and he cleared today. Tampa plans to terminate his contract for a "material breach of contract".

This is the same dirtbag who threw dirty hits in the AHL that broke Kasperi Kapanen's ankle and ****ed up Freddie Gauthier's leg. And at the NHL level, he blatantly tried to take out Auston Matthews' knee late in his rookie year.

Hopefully that'll be the last we see of him.

It won’t be. Someone will eventually pick him up.
See, I thought so too. He's big, right-handed, young, played well over a half season when he was first called up and he's under contract for one year at under a million dollars. I thought for sure someone would claim him on waivers.

And yet none of the other 30 teams did. He passed through unclaimed.

Material breach of contract appears to be him being so out of shape he cant play.
There has to be more to the story than that.

On its own, I can't imagine being out of shape is grounds for a contract termination.

See, I thought so too. He's big, right-handed, young, played well over a half season when he was first called up and he's under contract for one year at under a million dollars. I thought for sure someone would claim him on waivers.

And yet none of the other 30 teams did. He passed through unclaimed.

There has to be more to the story than that.

On its own, I can't imagine being out of shape is grounds for a contract termination.
Thought for sure a team like the Oilers would be all over it. Hes a pos but he is no different than Gudas.

He has decent underlying numbers as well.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated...but I have woken up with some serious hangovers since Thu.

Only silver lining I can find is that Melnyk is making it very easy to organize the coming boycott.

The rumours of my demise are greatly exaggerated...but I have woken up with some serious hangovers since Thu.

Only silver lining I can find is that Melnyk is making it very easy to organize the coming boycott.
What's your over/under on what the average home attendance for the Sens is going to be this year?

Even with Melnyk cutting expenses to the bone, you have to figure this season's really going to hurt him in the pocket-book.

What's your over/under on what the average home attendance for the Sens is going to be this year?

Even with Melnyk cutting expenses to the bone, you have to figure this season's really going to hurt him in the pocket-book.

Take out the Leaf and Hab games and it would be well under 10,000.

He is going to get hit hard and if rumours are true, there are some heavy hitters ready to call due some loans early in the season. I just can't see Eugene making it to Lebreton to get his big payout.

The rumors are at best only slightly exaggerated.

hang-in-there.jpg

Not really sure where this belongs...but Tim ****ing Brent is apparently a real person and not just a fading memory from a nightmare I had long ago.

Anyway he shot a Grizzly in the Yukon and, predictably, the internet has responded with respectful discourse.

Jaykay, death threats.

Haha, Tim ****ing Brent. Now there's a name I'd like to forget.

As for the issue at hand...I'm a meat eater, and I'd prefer a painful death to having to switch permanently to a vegan or vegetarian diet. So as much as hunting is an activity I have no interest in participating in, I recognize that it'd be hypocritical for me to issue any blanket condemnation of hunting. Plenty of animals have died and will die in the future for my sake.

That being said, I'd definitely draw a distinction between hunting animals with large populations who's meat you actually intend to eat, and trophy-hunting large animals from smaller/endangered populations with the intention of leaving most of the animal to rot, because killing them with a high-powered rifle makes you feel better about having a small penis, and because you'd like a nice photo/trophy to hang on your wall.

Death threats are totally uncalled for, but the latter type of hunter fully deserves to be mocked, criticised and shit on, IMO. Particularly the shitty rich bastards that fly off to less developed parts of the world with lax conservation laws in order to kill elephants, lions, etc.

Back