• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

So you're saying that there weren't a bunch of NHL teams waiting to poach him from Toronto and hand him a GM role?

Weird.

Nothing against the guy, he generally did pretty good work here (though I've detailed my disappointment with some of his drafting), but the Toronto media going nuts over the organization having the audacity to shaft "experienced" Hunter in favour of "kid" Dubas was alwas ridiculous and this is proof positive. Nobody was beating down his door with offers to run their organization. Dubas would have been the top pick of just about any team looking to replace their GM over the next few years.

It's classic fear of change and fear of making decisions.. regardless of who Shanahan decided to keep, there would be articles criticizing his decision.

I'm a bit surprised that no team stepped up to hand him an organizational role - but maybe at this point it was GM or bust. He didn't want to be in another Asst GM position waiting for his opportunity.

So you're saying that there weren't a bunch of NHL teams waiting to poach him from Toronto and hand him a GM role?

Weird.

Nothing against the guy, he generally did pretty good work here (though I've detailed my disappointment with some of his drafting), but the Toronto media going nuts over the organization having the audacity to shaft "experienced" Hunter in favour of "kid" Dubas was alwas ridiculous and this is proof positive. Nobody was beating down his door with offers to run their organization. Dubas would have been the top pick of just about any team looking to replace their GM over the next few years.
Not to mention that Joe Sakic seemed ready to make Dubas his GM last summer before Shanahan stepped in and put a stop to it.

Weird.

There was a reason Dubas got so many teams inquiring about him and Hunter has gotten nothing.

Ryan Ellis resigns with Preds 8 years 50 million.

Scratch another one off the list. Not that i'd expect us to pony up those dollars for him.

That probably further helps set the market for Jake Gardiner.

Ellis & Gardiner are both basically the same age (27/28). Gardiner puts up better raw offensive totals, but Ellis is a better defender, a good offensive producer in his own right and is generally more highly regarded throughout the league. And as a right-handed defenseman, Ellis has the more rare and highly sought-after skill-set than the left-handed Gardiner.

So if you want to keep Gardiner, you're probably looking at 6-7 years somewhere in the neighbourhood of $5.5M.

Thats a steal for Ellis. He is so underrated just because he is small. Might be the Preds best dman. He plays the toughest minutes and his analytics are just as good as Josi or Subban.

Thats a steal for Ellis. He is so underrated just because he is small. Might be the Preds best dman. He plays the toughest minutes and his analytics are just as good as Josi or Subban.

not quite on board with that.

imo, Josi is the clear top dog there and I like Ekholm as the #2.

I have no problem putting Ellis with Subban, but that's also because I think Subban is overrated now (and that they should trade his big contract while at peak "norris" value now).

lemme refresh my memory on that though.....

Last 2yrs:

Josi: ES 19:08 (A-), 1.23p/60, 0.90p1/60, 53.4cf% (+3.0), 54.1xgf% (+5.2) / PP 2:57, 4.98p/60, 3.55p1/60 / PK 2:41
Ek: ES 19:18 (B+), 0.74p/60, 0.43p1/60, 54.3cf% (+4.3), 53.4xgf% (+3.6) / PP 1:39, 3.37p/60, 2.70p1/60 / PK 2:34
Ellis: ES 18:53 (A-), 1.14p/60, 0.80p1/60, 52.1cf% (+1.2), 52.6xgf% (+0.6) / PP 2:12, 3.65p/60, 3.16p1/60 / PK 2:39
PK: ES 18:58 (B+), 1.03p/60, 0.72p1/60, 53.4cf% (+2.2), 51.7xgf% (+1.1) / PP 2:52, 5.63p/60, 3.46p160, / PK 2:24

yeah for me Josi is head and shoulders the #1. The toughest competition, the best offense, and probably the best possession too. He's actually still underrated as a player. He's the one that should be in the norris conversations, not PK.

Ekholm is similarly dominant possession wise, though without the offense.

Ellis and Subban are really close. Ellis has slightly tougher competition and better offense, while Subban has slightly better possession. PK also benefits by playing on the top PP unit, in terms of secondary assists.

Yeah, Nashville won't be the Hawks in 2-3 years.

After all, the Hawks actually won some Stanley Cups before player decline and the cap did them in.

Back