• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2018-2019 Edition

Ducks sign Jake Dotchin to 1 year deal, has to clear waivers in order to join the team. He was penciled into the Lighntings top 4 before his contract was terminated. Will be interesting to see if he cleaned up
I doubt he's "cleaned up" yet. Takes a bit longer than a month to cut 30 extra pounds, even for a professional athlete I would think.

I'm just glad that dirty **** is out of our division and conference. Best possible result besides him never playing in the NHL again.

So, it's only four games into Matt Martin's return to Long Island, and he's already going to be a healthy scratch for him.

Though they're scratching him for the even bigger and less talented Ross Johnston.

Thanks ... I've subscribed to the Athletic for over 8 months now, and I find that on most days, that's ALL I read (other than this forum, of course :) )

It's well worth the $$ ... if you wait long enough they do have 50% off sale from time to time, but then again, 40% vs 50% you are talking about difference of a Tim Hortons coffee :)

BTW, I was so wrong about the Devils. They are playing a Vegas like style, except with a younger and more talented roster. They look gooood.

Last edited:
Jesse Granger
‏Verified account @JesseGranger_

Sources tell The Athletic Alex Tuch has agreed to a 7-year extension with the Golden Knights worth $4.75M AAV.

21 years: 78 games, 15 goals, 37 pts
20 years: 57 games, 18 goals, 37 pts (AHL)

6.04, 222 lbs all day long

Seems completely unnecessary for a guy like that. But it worked out great with JVR who was just a 40 pt player at the time. I don't think Tuch is JVR though.

Seems completely unnecessary for a guy like that. But it worked out great with JVR who was just a 40 pt player at the time. I don't think Tuch is JVR though.

Interesting comparison. They do have similar pedigrees, although JVR was much more highly touted coming into the NHL and did have somewhat better numbers.

Checking out Tuch's USDP numbers, there's not many guys in his ppg range that have done much in the NHL (but not much lower than JVR's). His college numbers are a step well behind JVR's.

21 years: 78 games, 15 goals, 37 pts
20 years: 57 games, 18 goals, 37 pts (AHL)

6.04, 222 lbs all day long

I've always been a fan of Tuch's tools, but this is a definite gamble. He'll either be a huge bargain in short order, or never take that next step and be an albatross. He also did that last season mostly on the 3rd line I believe.

Personally, I think this deal will look good for the Knights in a couple years. But I'm not sure it was necessary to lock him up to this deal.

Hey stats guys...

Is there a current stat showing the correlation between special teams faceoffs and scoring/killing proficiency. Not looking for 5 on 5 but for PP and PK.

Hey stats guys...

Is there a current stat showing the correlation between special teams faceoffs and scoring/killing proficiency. Not looking for 5 on 5 but for PP and PK.

naturalstattrick.com has all data sortable by pp and pk.

Hey stats guys...

So last year...

Top 10 teams on offensive zone PP faceoffs and in red I have listed their rank on the power play.

1 Minnesota Wild 59.3% (18th)
2 Carolina Hurricanes 58.9% (22nd)
3 Buffalo Sabres 58.7% (20th)
4 Philadelphia Flyers 57.0% (15th)
5 Anaheim Ducks 56.7% (23rd)
6 New Jersey Devils 56.3% (10th)
7 Florida Panthers 55.5% (21st)
8 Nashville Predators 55.4% (12th)
9 Vancouver Canucks 54.5% (9th)
10 San Jose Sharks 54.3% (16th)
10 New York Islanders 54.3% (6th)

Top 10 teams on defensive zone PK faceoffs and in red I have listed their rank on the penalty kill.

1 Boston Bruins 52.0% (3rd)
2 Washington Capitals 50.8% (15th)
2 Buffalo Sabres 50.8% (22nd)
4 Dallas Stars 50.1% (14th)
5 Los Angeles Kings 49.9% (1st)
5 Toronto Maple Leafs 49.9% (11th)
7 Pittsburgh Penguins 49.6% (17th)
8 Columbus BJs 49.2% (27th)
9 Anaheim Ducks 49.0% (5th)
10 Carolina Hurricanes 48.6% (24th)

not sure how you would even measure it but i am curious how effective the dump and change is

Back