• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Kinda OT - What is Cliff Fletcher's role?

I think the story persists because it's fun to laugh at adorable bumbling old people. And Ron Wilson. It's not true though.

I believe the Wilson "expertise" thing though...this is the guy who would crawl out from under a rock somewhere to publically proclaim you "couldn't depend on Kessel" in an interview. Of course we've all seen how that turned out, for both guys really...one has two rings(and counting) the other is out of the league.

Wilson is full of shit and Fletcher was out of touch. Mistake or no mistake wouldn't have made a difference. Its not like Sauer was good anyway.

Wilson is full of shit and Fletcher was out of touch. Mistake or no mistake wouldn't have made a difference. Its not like Sauer was good anyway.

Yeah, that's the instructive bit for me here. Both Sauer and Finger were shit and regardless if they mixed up the two (they likely didn't), you shouldn't want either on your hockey team for any real amount of term or dollars.

I believe the Wilson "expertise" thing though...this is the guy who would crawl out from under a rock somewhere to publically proclaim you "couldn't depend on Kessel" in an interview. Of course we've all seen how that turned out, for both guys really...one has two rings(and counting) the other is out of the league.
One of my favourite Wilson moments was when he decided to coach the 2016 American WJC team, presumably as a first step towards making a comeback.

Then prior to their semi-final game against the Russians, he proudly announced to Mark Masters of TSN that he couldn't name or tell you a single thing about any of the players on the Russian team, and that was "a good thing". When Masters naturally followed up by asking why that was a good thing, Wilson immediately got angry & condescending.

The US, of course, lost that game.

So I can definitely see that guy arrogantly trusting his own recollection that Finger was amazing without doing any research into it, and senile Cliff going along with it. After all, he was also pretty compliant when Wilson rolled into his first Leaf training camp and immediately decided that he had no use for Alex Steen or Carlo Colaiacovo.

still can't believe that Finger deal.

I still remember hearing 4yrs, $3.5m and thinking "4 years? who? why? well at least it's only $0.9m per year".

it's conceivable that wilson's perception that finger matched up against thornton was based on one shift where he saw something he liked (rather than confusing him with sauer).

but i'm not sure that's any better than confusing him with sauer.

i mean, demonstrably, jeff finger was not their matchup defenseman. that was clearly bullshit. and wilson's word clearly played a role in the signing.

Fletchers position .... " hey cliff"
" cliff, wake up"
" yea, what do you want?"
" go and make sure that my office is doesnt have any flies or bears in it"
" ok dubbie"
5 minutues later .......
" cliff"
"CLIFF!"
"Wake up cliff"

Back