• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Edmonton has needs

HockeyPat

Andrej Sekera had surgery to repair a torn Achilles tendon and will be sidelined indefinitely.

Edmonton needs a right handed D-man.

We have four right handed D-men.

Edmonton may have salary cap problems when it comes time to sign Nurse.

I think Pesce should be an option.

Slavin-Hamilton
de Haan-Faulk

We would have offensive minded guys paired with strong defenders. de Haan-Pesec isn't going to score as many goals and the drop off in D with Faulk is marginal.

I'd offer Pesce for Nugent-Hopkins. And a bag of pucks. You should always through in a bag of pucks as a sweetener.

I don't think we should mess with our top 4 D (deHann, Hamilton, Pesec, Slavin). If Edmonton wants Faulk or TVR, let's make a deal for one of their forwards. Deal from a position of strength. We do not need to move any of our current 7 defensemen. Our strength is in our numbers and we're covered should Fleury have a rough start.

I too, am reluctant to deal Pesce. But for Nugent-Hopkins, I would.

And I think you didn't give proper consideration to the bag of pucks. Those are some really nice pucks.

I'd rather her dump Faulk on them for the Nuge and remove the risk associated with coaxing him back to form. Pesce ... I dunno. That's more of an equal value trade to be sure, but I'd prefer to keep Pesce around if possible. The guy is dead useful, plays roughly the same game every night and is reasonably priced for what he does.

I'd rather her dump Faulk on them for the Nuge and remove the risk associated with coaxing him back to form. Pesce ... I dunno. That's more of an equal value trade to be sure, but I'd prefer to keep Pesce around if possible. The guy is dead useful, plays roughly the same game every night and is reasonably priced for what he does.

I agree, if the Oil gets desperate for a RD, Faulk for Nuge...that would fill a need for both clubs! The other interesting player on the Oilers based on the Aho connection is Pulujarvi, that guy I think still has a ton of untapped potential and sure would look intriguing on an all Finn line with Aho and Turbo...

I do love me some Pesce. I just really want a centre. I would rather trade TVR. But if I was Edmonton (I am not) I would rather have Pesce than Faulk.

Outsider opinion? Pesce > Nuge value wise. Nuge isn’t really a top line center while Pesce will be a top pair D.

Now Faulk I would trade for Nuge. He’s peaked.

If someone has current or impending cap issues, you do NOT offer fair value in trade. Especially when you want a center, and they have a center in McDavid who is so good he makes every other center in the organization just a bit more expendable.

RNH for Faulk, a mid to late round pick, a bag of pucks, two spare Zamboni tires, and a team dinner at the Pit on their next trip into town.

Outsider opinion? Pesce > Nuge value wise. Nuge isn’t really a top line center while Pesce will be a top pair D.

Now Faulk I would trade for Nuge. He’s peaked.

Pesce is probably a top pairing guy now, but that value is limited by his lack of offensive contributions. He's not a pure stay at homer, but that's the high value side of his game. But in general, yeah. Nailed it.

Edmonton is really thin for forward depth so doubt we would be able to acquire Nugent-Hopkins as they need someone on that top line with McDavid and the candidates are few in number.

Puljajarvi might be a more realistic target but even he is someone they are hoping will pan out for them as it gets pretty empty after that tier of talent.

They have horribly mismanaged their draft picks through all those seasons of drafting high, especially past the first round. Hardly anyone worked out for them and they had a ton of chances to find someone who would.

Plus if Faulk is the intended trade bait, that 15-team NMC list probably doesn't have Edmonton on it as an agreeable destination.

Would not give up Pesce for Puljujarvi, but would certainly give up Faulk for that piece IF somehow that's agreeable to Faulk. Would reunite him with Sekera once the surgery heals.

Doubt there's a hockey trade there for us. But, hey, we'll see.

I think this thread should be re-named "Edmonton has bad management"

Feel free to change.

I do believe Pesce > Faulk. I might be overvaluing Nugget-Hopkins. I could concede that. But Faulk clearly hasn't peaked. He hasn't played well lately, but he's 26 years old for crying out loud. That statement is hard for me to respect.

If I was Edmonton, I would not trade Nuge for Faulk straight up. I would trade Nuge for Pesce because they would slightly win that trade. I'd much rather have Pesce, but I'm obsessed with finding a top six center.

Maybe Faulk and some late round draft picks could work. Great point about Edmonton and how they've screwed up their drafting.

If someone has current or impending cap issues, you do NOT offer fair value in trade. Especially when you want a center, and they have a center in McDavid who is so good he makes every other center in the organization just a bit more expendable.

I don't understand what point you are making here. Doesn't a NHL Hockey team need more than one centre? How does having one good centerman make the others expendable? If you have 3 top six centers maybe.

You should always make fair value trade offers. I don't understand the logic of that either. Only make a trade if you rip the other guy off? That's an extremely poor business plan.

It would seem:

Their Need for D + Their Bad Cap Management + Their Bad Management in General = A deal we shouldn't give them the advantage on.

This is where moving Skinner already might hurt us. We could have packaged him into the deal with Faulk (assuming no NMC issues with that - big assume I know) for RNH plus their first rounder next season. That way they cover their D, they get an NHL forward for this coming season, and we get a Center and a high draft pick instead of that bag of Pu we got for Skinner.

Back