• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Canucks Elias Pettersson is in the concussion protocol after being mugged by the Panthers Mike Matheson, who had a hearing with DPS today. Jay Beagle out 6 weeks with a broken forearm.

https://www.nhl.com/news/elias-pettersson-out-for-vancouver-because-of-concussion/c-300964270

Yup. Saw that ... and it's worth pointing out that Necas and Pettersson share the same kind of frame AND the same kind of game. It might be a bit of a blessing in disguise that Necas is off to a bit of a low profile start. Neither of those kids are build to take much punishment.

I don't get how people are defending that as a "hit". I hope he gets the maximunin #of games from a phone hearing.

But I also think Eric Staal should have gotten several games for his elbow to the back of Pesce's head.

That was absolutely dirty and was not at all any sort of hockey play or continuation of a check. That is roughing minor at a minimum. You don't get to body slam guys down to the ice.

For the official to stand there and watch that go on without a roughing call was a joke. I'm hoping that Player Safety views that as an excessively dangerous act, outside of any sort of reasonable hockey play, and takes a stand here that its not ok to intentionally body slam guys to the ice in situations like that. And for cripes sakes NHL, tell your officials to not let players do crap like that without a roughing penalty.

Last night was the first time since January 2004 that the Habs didn’t sell out. The beat the Red Wings 7-3, keeping Detroit winless this season through 6 games. They and Florida are the only winless teams left. Detroit also has a staggering -16 goal differential scoring 14 and allowing 30.

Ottawa is a 'surprise team' to start the season. 3-2-1 in their first 6. The consensus bottom 3 going into this season was Ottawa, Detroit and Montreal, with the Rangers also expected to be crappy. Montreal isn't even off to a bad start at 3-1-1.

Ottawa is a 'surprise team' to start the season. 3-2-1 in their first 6. The consensus bottom 3 going into this season was Ottawa, Detroit and Montreal, with the Rangers also expected to be crappy. Montreal isn't even off to a bad start at 3-1-1.

Yup ... Montreal and Ottawa are in the good surprise bag while Florida and (I guess) Vegas are in the bad surprise bag. I don't think anybody expected Detroit or NYR to be good, so no shockers there.

NBA starts today which is 2 weeks earlier than their normal start. I guess they want to give more time off during the season. They have had issues with big name players not playing some road games and fans are not happy when they see a star sitting out. When teams have locked up a playoff spot early they don't want to risk players getting worn out.

NBA starts today which is 2 weeks earlier than their normal start. I guess they want to give more time off during the season. They have had issues with big name players not playing some road games and fans are not happy when they see a star sitting out. When teams have locked up a playoff spot early they don't want to risk players getting worn out.

My bad ... I thought "2018-19 Miscellaneous New Thread" referred to the 2018-19 NHL season. LA Rams at 6-0 ... discuss.

Tom Wilson’s suspension appeal is at 11 this morning. If Bettman has any stones, it will end at 11:01 with it being upheld.

Tom Wilson’s suspension appeal is at 11 this morning. If Bettman has any stones, it will end at 11:01 with it being upheld.
Nah, he’s a good guy
He slipped
He won’t do it again
A fan diverted his attention when he put his hand over the glass
He helps elderly women cross streets
He bakes Girl Scout cookies in his spare times
There was a groove in the ice that locked his skate in that direction and he was only trying to get out of the groove

and yes , this article does mention other sports. Including one sport that stands to make 10x what the NHL would make. I think you can figure out which one that is.

For the record, nobody's trying to specifically bust your chops so there's no point in being petulant. This is a hockey board so in general these threads are for hockey-related news. That's all.

It
Nah, he’s a good guy
He slipped
He won’t do it again
A fan diverted his attention when he put his hand over the glass
He helps elderly women cross streets
He bakes Girl Scout cookies in his spare times
There was a groove in the ice that locked his skate in that direction and he was only trying to get out of the groove

It was a rogue Tom Wilson

I think we missed this from the summer. Scotiabank now has the naming rights for what had been the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, now called Scotiabank Arena. The agreement was effective from July 1 and is worth about C$800 million over 20 years, reportedly the richest naming rights agreement in North America. They have naming rights for 2 of the 7 Canadian team arenas, also in Calgary.

Back