• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

I always liked Hartnell because he use to say "I fell down"--not the more politically correct "I lost an edge". In fact he turned that into a charity thing--Hartnell Down.

Still years down the road, but the next expansion draft is probably not going to be as easy for the Canes as the Vegas one was.

It's going to involve us losing someone we really don't want to lose OR us trading pick(s) and/or other stuff to Seattle to keep their hands off the players we cannot protect.

If it's 2020, Svech and Necas and Bean will still be exempt but think of how many D we will have that won't be along with Staal, Aho , Teravainen. Foegele, Zykov, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Roy, McGinn, Ferland (and/or other forwards) etc.... This next one will sting.

Last edited:
Enough with the preseason, we have real hockey tonight. NBCSN has a doubleheader with Caps/Bruins at 7:30 and Ducks/Sharks at 10:30, with Forslund on the call. Sportsnet has Habs/Leafs at 7 and Flames/Canucks at 10.

Enough with the preseason, we have real hockey tonight. NBCSN has a doubleheader with Caps/Bruins at 7:30 and Ducks/Sharks at 10:30, with Forslund on the call. Sportsnet has Habs/Leafs at 7 and Flames/Canucks at 10.

And hopefully a Tom Wilson 10 game suspension as well today!!!

Well now, hard to argue that the NHL didn't send a serious enough message this time. 20 games is quite a message.

BUT

---edit--- Yeah I was totally wrong. Money forfeited due to suspension is based on AAV not salary. Wilson actually is scheduled to forfeit more money than his entire $1.1 million in salary because of that. Not sure quite how they do that....

Last edited:
ESPN has 3 people picking the Jets to win it all. Most pick Tampa , a few picked Nashville

Basically the same as the Athletic. Their staff leaned heavily to Tampa, with Winnipeg and San Jose trailing by a LOT. Nashville and Pittsburgh got a few nods but Tampa came close to getting as many votes as the rest combined. That, my friends, is a heavy favorite. Cooper will be the best coach on the unemployment line if he doesn't get it done this time.

Rough atart for the Flames. Outshoot opponent 35-23, lose 5-2. Looks familiar.

Elias Lindholm was -4. PP 0-7.

Last edited:
Tom Wilson awarded a 20-game unpaid vacation.

Wilson has been suspended by the Department of Player Safety 4 times in his last 105 games played...that's not a repeat offender, that's a clown that simply does not seem to "get it". Maybe...just maybe, this time he might start to "get it".

Last edited:
Wilson has been suspended by the Department of Player Safety 4 times in his last 105 games played...that's not a repeat offender, that's a clown that simply does not seem to "get it". Maybe...just maybe, this time he might start to "get it".

And the NHLPA continues to be more concerned with the length of his suspension than the damage he’s doing to other PA members.

Matt Cooke didn’t “get it” until the Pens management sat him down and told him it wasn’t acceptable any more. He went from 129 PIM in 10-11 to 44 the next year and a total of 147 over the last 241 games of his career.

The number of suspensions he has had in just over the last calendar year is insane. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around a bit like Matt Cooke did at the end of his career (I am guessing he won't!). The thing that gets lost in all this is the Caps just signed him to a long term deal with a cap hit of $5.1 per year! Given that his career high in goals was 14 last year (first time ever in double digits) you have to wonder what the Caps are paying him to do as it doesn't appear to be scoring goals or points. Regardless of what people think about Wilson, he has one hell of an agent to get a long term deal like that for a career high of 14 goals and 35 points!

Caps may be hoping for a compliance buyout option under the Seattle expansion rules before this is over.

Back